Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 114

Thread: Paterno getting the boot at PennState

  1. #31
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Paterno getting the boot at PennState

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    No body is shrugging it off. You just misassigned the blame. Paterno did what was right. He cannot help that the system didn't do its job. What more could he have done? Shot the guy himself?
    Dude, you need to check yourself. I am having a problem in that you see nothing amiss when someone tells their boss that they saw an old man having butt sex with a 10 year old in the locker room and the coach simply reports it to the AD. Most people in that position would call the cops. At worst most people in that position would ask questions when the pervert wasn't manned off jail. Either your graduate assistant is making up incredible stories or your former defensive coordinator was having butt sex with a 10 year old in the locker room shower. You apparently would pat yourself on the back for covering your own ass and ask everyone where they were going to lunch, never to concern yourself again with the issue. I'm sorry to tell you, you would be committing a severe moral error. Perhaps you and Paterno share the same terrible character flaw.

    If an employee were to come tell me that I'd be calling the cops and then the AD. Was it Paterno's fault that other kids were brutalized? Oh, hell yes. He let the matter drop once he had reported it. He didn't dog people when the pervert remained on the street and running his private organization to "help" little boys. Paterno was morally obligated. He failed. Kids were raped. It wasn't his job to stop it - BUT HE COULD HAVE.

    I'm going to be honest with you KSU, your inability or unwillingness to understand Paterno's moral obligation tells me much about you I didn't know.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  2. #32
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Paterno getting the boot at PennState

    It seems to me from what I have read that he is gone as of Wednesday night. Legacy down in flames as it should be.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  3. #33
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,733

    Re: Paterno getting the boot at PennState

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Not be back next season? That's not good enough, IMHO. He should be out of there before this weekend's game against Nebraska.
    Turns out, that's exactly what's happened. He has been fired.

    This is just all around a tragedy. A tragedy for Penn State and college football, but especially for the young people that were abused. And Joe Paterno was a very-well respected coach, but if the charges stick, all of his legacy will be lost.

    The only counterpoint I can think of is that Penn State acted too quickly in terminating him instead of placing him on leave while the investigation sorted itself out. Maybe they know more to this story. I don't know, I'm just in a state of shock over this. This is one of the worst things to have hit the sports world in years.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Paterno getting the boot at PennState

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    The only counterpoint I can think of is that Penn State acted too quickly in terminating him instead of placing him on leave while the investigation sorted itself out. Maybe they know more to this story. I don't know, I'm just in a state of shock over this. This is one of the worst things to have hit the sports world in years.
    The guy who broke this story months ago has come out today saying that he believes the next story to break is that Sandusky was supplying kids to big donors.

    *IF* true, there will never be a Joe Paterno day. If true, I imagine that Paterno will be a part of the inevitable massive lawsuit about to hit Penn State. When this first broke I also sort of felt bad for Paterno, but not now. While Sandusky "retired" he was allowed to run freely all over the campus and use that influence. No way someone in Paterno's shoes shouldn't have completely barred him from not only the campus but hell, Happy Valley period.........

    Unless there is something to the "rumor" in which case, it's going to get really, really ugly.
    Last edited by 1Perry; 11-10-11 at 02:28 PM.

  5. #35
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Paterno getting the boot at PennState

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Dude, you need to check yourself. I am having a problem in that you see nothing amiss when someone tells their boss that they saw an old man having butt sex with a 10 year old in the locker room and the coach simply reports it to the AD. Most people in that position would call the cops. At worst most people in that position would ask questions when the pervert wasn't manned off jail. Either your graduate assistant is making up incredible stories or your former defensive coordinator was having butt sex with a 10 year old in the locker room shower. You apparently would pat yourself on the back for covering your own ass and ask everyone where they were going to lunch, never to concern yourself again with the issue. I'm sorry to tell you, you would be committing a severe moral error. Perhaps you and Paterno share the same terrible character flaw.

    If an employee were to come tell me that I'd be calling the cops and then the AD. Was it Paterno's fault that other kids were brutalized? Oh, hell yes. He let the matter drop once he had reported it. He didn't dog people when the pervert remained on the street and running his private organization to "help" little boys. Paterno was morally obligated. He failed. Kids were raped. It wasn't his job to stop it - BUT HE COULD HAVE.

    I'm going to be honest with you KSU, your inability or unwillingness to understand Paterno's moral obligation tells me much about you I didn't know.
    I don't know what the rules in PA or at PSU are, but when I taught and coached at a high school in Georgia, school policy would not permit me to report directly to the police. I could lose my job. I was to report to consulars at the school or the principal depending on what I saw. They take it from there. If that is the policy at PSU, and the coaches followed that policy to the letter, it is the administration that is culpable, not those who followed procedure.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  6. #36
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,903

    Re: Paterno getting the boot at PennState

    But could Paterno have found a coaching reason to rid himself of Sandusky? People lose their jobs for "cause" that's created all the time. Aren't there ways to eventually rid oneself of a troublesome employee? Knowing what he did, how could Paterno continue to work with this guy?

  7. #37
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Paterno getting the boot at PennState

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    correct, what he reported to the athletic director was 'hearsay', nothing that paterno had seen or witnessed personally, is my understanding. the AD reported it to law enforcement, and the prosecutor declined to bring charges...at least that is how i have heard it.
    Hopefully, by now, you've learned that your take on it is incorrect.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #38
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,935

    Re: Paterno getting the boot at PennState

    This is not a school issue, a campus issue or a football issue. It is the act of RAPE. If I saw this I would call the police irregardless of the location, school church airport, wherever. How many "actual" incidences are there other than the ones before us? Now, if your associate did this at age 60 for example would you not ask yourself at what age did that person begin this behavior?! The more we are going to learn in the coming months the more sickening this is going to be. By the way, continue the football games because again, this is not sports this is crime.
    It's nothing more than X's and O's.

  9. #39
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Paterno getting the boot at PennState

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Dude, you need to check yourself. I am having a problem in that you see nothing amiss when someone tells their boss that they saw an old man having butt sex with a 10 year old in the locker room and the coach simply reports it to the AD. Most people in that position would call the cops. At worst most people in that position would ask questions when the pervert wasn't manned off jail. Either your graduate assistant is making up incredible stories or your former defensive coordinator was having butt sex with a 10 year old in the locker room shower. You apparently would pat yourself on the back for covering your own ass and ask everyone where they were going to lunch, never to concern yourself again with the issue. I'm sorry to tell you, you would be committing a severe moral error. Perhaps you and Paterno share the same terrible character flaw.

    If an employee were to come tell me that I'd be calling the cops and then the AD. Was it Paterno's fault that other kids were brutalized? Oh, hell yes. He let the matter drop once he had reported it. He didn't dog people when the pervert remained on the street and running his private organization to "help" little boys. Paterno was morally obligated. He failed. Kids were raped. It wasn't his job to stop it - BUT HE COULD HAVE.

    I'm going to be honest with you KSU, your inability or unwillingness to understand Paterno's moral obligation tells me much about you I didn't know.
    and I am having a problem in that you see nothing amiss when someone sees an old man having butt sex with a 10 year old in the locker room and does nothing but wait until the next day to tell their boss.

    but instead you blame the boss
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #40
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Paterno getting the boot at PennState

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    and I am having a problem in that you see nothing amiss when someone sees an old man having butt sex with a 10 year old in the locker room and does nothing but wait until the next day to tell their boss.

    but instead you blame the boss
    They're both to blame. They're all to blame. The big news is that someone of the coach's stature wore blinders. I'm sure you get that. I do agree with you that McCreary should be fired today. Well...he should have been fired when he testified he witnesssed it -- which I think was several years ago. One has to ask: "Where's this story been?" And those who do ask don't understand the power and money behind college football.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •