Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: say a prayer or spare a good thought for Joe Frazier

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: say a prayer or spare a good thought for Joe Frazier

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    He's suffering terminal liver cancer and is in hospice. One of the true class acts of what is often a corrupt game, he never got the respect he deserved.
    Our local news just noted his condition (Channel Five, NBC, Cincinnati)

    Man, I sure do hate to hear that.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #12
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: say a prayer or spare a good thought for Joe Frazier

    I got to meet Joe Frazier and shake his hand. My High School had both Frazier and Foreman come to give convocations on different days leading up to their big boxing match. Joe Frazier came into my Anthropology class (I guess the teacher invited him) after the convocation where he introduced himself to all of us in the classroom. He is a very nice man.

    Both of the fighters were really good at public speaking with Foreman maybe being a little better. I always wondered what happened to Frazier. We all know that Foreman became spokesman for the amazing cooking machines that bear his name. I hope Smokin' Joe has had a great life since that day in 1972 when he shook my hand. I am saddened to learn of his liver cancer. The world stands to lose a giant of a man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  3. #13
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:59 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,476

    Re: say a prayer or spare a good thought for Joe Frazier

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    I got to meet Joe Frazier and shake his hand. My High School had both Frazier and Foreman come to give convocations on different days leading up to their big boxing match. Joe Frazier came into my Anthropology class (I guess the teacher invited him) after the convocation where he introduced himself to all of us in the classroom. He is a very nice man.

    Both of the fighters were really good at public speaking with Foreman maybe being a little better. I always wondered what happened to Frazier. We all know that Foreman became spokesman for the amazing cooking machines that bear his name. I hope Smokin' Joe has had a great life since that day in 1972 when he shook my hand. I am saddened to learn of his liver cancer. The world stands to lose a giant of a man.
    I am envious of you. Value that memory.

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: say a prayer or spare a good thought for Joe Frazier

    The first Ali-Frazier fight in '71 is STILL one of the greatest fights, if not the greatest in boxing history. The left he hit Ali with that knocked him down is one of the most perfect shots ever. Frazier was often underrated because he was small, and he fought in an era with Ali and Foreman, but it didn't matter how much he got hit... he just kept coming. One of the greatest ever.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,902

    Re: say a prayer or spare a good thought for Joe Frazier

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    sadly I don't think this fight will go the distance. hopefully he will pass with the same dignity that he conducted himself as a fighter and a man. I wish it was different but I hope the man goes with the knowledge that many of us-fight fans or not, realized what a true champion he was
    He was a great fighter - no doubt about it. If Ali was the greatest fighter of the last fifty years - and I would say he way - Frazier was a solid #2. And I liked his personality and his sense of humor. I liked his appearance in ROCKY too.
    Last edited by haymarket; 11-06-11 at 04:58 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #16
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: say a prayer or spare a good thought for Joe Frazier

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    The first Ali-Frazier fight in '71 is STILL one of the greatest fights, if not the greatest in boxing history. The left he hit Ali with that knocked him down is one of the most perfect shots ever. Frazier was often underrated because he was small, and he fought in an era with Ali and Foreman, but it didn't matter how much he got hit... he just kept coming. One of the greatest ever.
    The biggest problem the sport has now is trying to recapture that magic with sub-standard boxers, instead of finding and developing the next Ali, Frazer, and Foreman they are trying to build up so-so fighters as the next big name. It's a crying shame really as I view boxing as one fo the best pure sports along with other martial arts. I see MMA starting to collapse under it's own weight by putting up also rans as kings too. I really wish the promoters would trust that when you have the best the money will come instead of trying to force the rest into the catagory of the greats.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #17
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: say a prayer or spare a good thought for Joe Frazier

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    The biggest problem the sport has now is trying to recapture that magic with sub-standard boxers, instead of finding and developing the next Ali, Frazer, and Foreman they are trying to build up so-so fighters as the next big name. It's a crying shame really as I view boxing as one fo the best pure sports along with other martial arts. I see MMA starting to collapse under it's own weight by putting up also rans as kings too. I really wish the promoters would trust that when you have the best the money will come instead of trying to force the rest into the catagory of the greats.
    I've been a big boxing fan for YEARS. The only computer game that I play, nowadays is a boxing sim. What I see as the big problem in boxing is matchmaking. You have too many guys who's promoters "protect" them and their records. Also, rival promoters often won't pit their best against each other, causing fans to lose out on good fights. All this means that some of the best fights don't happen. Hopkins-Jones II should have happened years before it did. Mayweather-Pacquiao probably won't EVER happen. I know there are other reasons, but promoters are a big one. I liked the super middleweight tournament in concept, but in practice, it didn't turn out as well as it might have. Too many organizations, too, and organizations that don't cooperate with each other. Boxing is easily the worst managed major sport there is.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #18
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: say a prayer or spare a good thought for Joe Frazier

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    I got to meet Joe Frazier and shake his hand. My High School had both Frazier and Foreman come to give convocations on different days leading up to their big boxing match. Joe Frazier came into my Anthropology class (I guess the teacher invited him) after the convocation where he introduced himself to all of us in the classroom. He is a very nice man.

    Both of the fighters were really good at public speaking with Foreman maybe being a little better. I always wondered what happened to Frazier. We all know that Foreman became spokesman for the amazing cooking machines that bear his name. I hope Smokin' Joe has had a great life since that day in 1972 when he shook my hand. I am saddened to learn of his liver cancer. The world stands to lose a giant of a man.
    I had a similar experience with Smokin' Joe, I don't remember much of it but I remember being a 5th or 6th grader and thinking this guy was huge!! I remember his hands being gigantic. Unfortunately I don't remember much of the detail but I do remember meeting him. Can't remember if Ken Norton was there or not - but Joe was a Philly boy and I was in NJ so it was probably a pretty big deal. I do remember watching the film of Smokin' Joe and he was the bulldog. We all end up in the ground, and this is just his time. I'm hoping he goes off to the next adventure quickly and in as little pain as possible.... his memory will live on as one of the greats of all time.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #19
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: say a prayer or spare a good thought for Joe Frazier

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I've been a big boxing fan for YEARS.
    Myself. My dad and uncle were boxers in their youth and I picked up a couple of things here and there, when they fought it was all about bringing your best and hanging out after the last punch was thrown. They didn't talk a lot of trash and the big thing was the sport. What a grand one it was.
    The only computer game that I play, nowadays is a boxing sim. What I see as the big problem in boxing is matchmaking. You have too many guys who's promoters "protect" them and their records. Also, rival promoters often won't pit their best against each other, causing fans to lose out on good fights.
    Definitely the matchmaking, which is in my own opinion all part of attempting to make decent boxers look like true greats, it's a shame really because there could be an unknown with exceptional talent and class who gets ignored for a self-promoting loudmouthed palooka.
    All this means that some of the best fights don't happen. Hopkins-Jones II should have happened years before it did. Mayweather-Pacquiao probably won't EVER happen. I know there are other reasons, but promoters are a big one. I liked the super middleweight tournament in concept, but in practice, it didn't turn out as well as it might have. Too many organizations, too, and organizations that don't cooperate with each other. Boxing is easily the worst managed major sport there is.
    Absolutely right, for instance Don King puts a big name in an HBO fight against a guy who isn't going to go more than three rounds and all at a premium cost of 50-60$ PPV, when the big three carried boxing you got epic matches like the "Rumble in the Jungle", the Foreman fights, all the Ali greatness, and the other Frazier gems right there for all to enjoy. Promoters have lost sight of the sport itself and let quick money ruin the fan experience. I think the only way to revive the sport is for the associations to cooperate and for some standards being set for major title matches. We are losing the greats at too fast of a pace.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #20
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,725

    Re: say a prayer or spare a good thought for Joe Frazier

    [QUOTE=LaMidRighter;1059934933]
    Myself. My dad and uncle were boxers in their youth and I picked up a couple of things here and there, when they fought it was all about bringing your best and hanging out after the last punch was thrown. They didn't talk a lot of trash and the big thing was the sport. What a grand one it was. Definitely the matchmaking, which is in my own opinion all part of attempting to make decent boxers look like true greats, it's a shame really because there could be an unknown with exceptional talent and class who gets ignored for a self-promoting loudmouthed palooka. Absolutely right, for instance Don King puts a big name in an HBO fight against a guy who isn't going to go more than three rounds and all at a premium cost of 50-60$ PPV, when the big three carried boxing you got epic matches like the "Rumble in the Jungle", the Foreman fights, all the Ali greatness, and the other Frazier gems right there for all to enjoy. Promoters have lost sight of the sport itself and let quick money ruin the fan experience. I think the only way to revive the sport is for the associations to cooperate and for some standards being set for major title matches. We are losing the greats at too fast of a pace.
    During the "Golden Age" of Heavyweights... mid-60's to the mid-70's... just before the "alphabet soup" crap of 20 different organizations, all the best heavyweights fought all the best heavyweights, several times. There was no "ducking" or promoter protection, and no "creating" of great boxers who actually fought no one. These guys fought everyone, and you knew who the best were.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •