Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 58 of 58

Thread: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

  1. #51
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Gosh I hope I never get it. Never had it as a kid, really don't want to get it as an adult.
    Get the vaccine. The disease is AWFUL as an adult.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #52
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Get the vaccine. The disease is AWFUL as an adult.

    Ditto

    .............

  3. #53
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The risks of vaccine complications aren't even in the same universe as the risks of the illnesses they prevent. You know those people who claim they don't wear seatbelts because it's safer to be thrown from the car sometimes? Think like that, except on an airliner. Someone deciding that sometimes it's better to be thrown from your seat in a plane crash so they don't wear a seatbelt on the airline flight.

    That's pretty much the level of stupid we're talking about.
    It's not stupid - it's a real and understandable concern but it's just not as big as the concern per the effects of the illness.

    You don't know how your child will respond until they get it (vaccinations) - so it's a bit scary putting your faith in the idea that you'll be in the 'ok' percentile - because every year hundreds are in the 'not ok' percentile.

    Because of a heart condition my older son had to get a shot of antibiotics when it came to certain immunizations - I was never worried that he'd become ill (and he never did) but I most certainly understand people's issues.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 11-06-11 at 05:06 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #54
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    In rare cases you CAN get chicken pox a second time. And, having chicken pox leaves you susceptible to getting shingles in the future, a disease that is very painful and potentially quite scarring.
    Getting chicken pox as an adult can be very bad.
    It can make you sterile too.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    In rare cases you CAN get chicken pox a second time. And, having chicken pox leaves you susceptible to getting shingles in the future, a disease that is very painful and potentially quite scarring.
    Well it turns out that I didn't know as much about it as I thought I did, but the fact remains... if you are fearful of a bad situation, then get the vaccine. I don't see why I should have to get it just to suit the fears of other people. It's not my responsibility to prevent others from getting sick.

    Maggie posted a link that I find really interesting. I myself had ruled out the autism connection but now that I have read the CDC report I think there is still a connection.

    I have also read preliminary research that tries to assess the link between auto-immune disease and vaccines in certain populations, such as people who already have auto-immune disease (even in the earliest of stages), or specific sub-populations that are susceptible because their immune systems are over-active.

    You can read about those here:
    Autoimmune diseases and vaccinations. [Eur J Dermatol. 2004 Mar-Apr] - PubMed - NCBI
    Swiss warn on flu vaccine with autoimmune disease | Reuters

    Vaccines inject a latent pathogen past all of the body's natural defenses and put it at the deepest level, where it can reside for years and years, potentially causing the body to have immune responses that are exaggerated or misdirected. I think this research is very important, given how allergies are changing in children, and the level of auto-immune diseases that are now appearing in adults, such as MS, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.

    I think it's the height of hubris to rule that vaccines are 100% safe. There are known side effects, and even if classified as rare, when spread out over large populations that's a lot of people. There are also unknown side effects that we are only beginning to study, and we can't know them because they are related our limits of what we know of the human body itself. My mother grow up in the era when children and buildings were being sprayed with DDT and it was called "safe", all because we wanted the convenience of not having to deal with mosquitos and bugs. Now people have Parkinson's and other horrible nervous diseases because of it.

    Every new vaccine we create needs to stand the test of time, and even then, we should always be refining our knowledge in correlation to our understanding of the body.

    I will never get a vaccine. I have seen too much anecdotal evidence that it's not good for you, and the North American medical establishment is complicit in trying to suppress it in the name of obscene profits. At least in Europe the governments have the sanity to require more rigorous drug trials than here, and they have more funding for ongoing research into this. Look at the article above about how the Swiss are warning of potential auto-immune reactions, even though the research is not 100% conclusive. That is a government that cares about its people. Vaccines are not a natural way to build the body's immunity, and so we should ALWAYS be investigating them, even after we believe they are safe. The work must continue.

    Until then... I'm exercising my personal freedom and responsibility, and not getting one. Neither is my child. When he turns 18 he can decide for himself, but as long as he's under my care that junk will not be going into his body. He already has autism and special needs... I won't potentially damage him further.

  6. #56
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Well it turns out that I didn't know as much about it as I thought I did, but the fact remains... if you are fearful of a bad situation, then get the vaccine. I don't see why I should have to get it just to suit the fears of other people. It's not my responsibility to prevent others from getting sick.

    Maggie posted a link that I find really interesting. I myself had ruled out the autism connection but now that I have read the CDC report I think there is still a connection.

    I have also read preliminary research that tries to assess the link between auto-immune disease and vaccines in certain populations, such as people who already have auto-immune disease (even in the earliest of stages), or specific sub-populations that are susceptible because their immune systems are over-active.

    You can read about those here:
    Autoimmune diseases and vaccinations. [Eur J Dermatol. 2004 Mar-Apr] - PubMed - NCBI
    Swiss warn on flu vaccine with autoimmune disease | Reuters

    Vaccines inject a latent pathogen past all of the body's natural defenses and put it at the deepest level, where it can reside for years and years, potentially causing the body to have immune responses that are exaggerated or misdirected. I think this research is very important, given how allergies are changing in children, and the level of auto-immune diseases that are now appearing in adults, such as MS, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.

    I think it's the height of hubris to rule that vaccines are 100% safe. There are known side effects, and even if classified as rare, when spread out over large populations that's a lot of people. There are also unknown side effects that we are only beginning to study, and we can't know them because they are related our limits of what we know of the human body itself. My mother grow up in the era when children and buildings were being sprayed with DDT and it was called "safe", all because we wanted the convenience of not having to deal with mosquitos and bugs. Now people have Parkinson's and other horrible nervous diseases because of it.

    Every new vaccine we create needs to stand the test of time, and even then, we should always be refining our knowledge in correlation to our understanding of the body.

    I will never get a vaccine. I have seen too much anecdotal evidence that it's not good for you, and the North American medical establishment is complicit in trying to suppress it in the name of obscene profits. At least in Europe the governments have the sanity to require more rigorous drug trials than here, and they have more funding for ongoing research into this. Look at the article above about how the Swiss are warning of potential auto-immune reactions, even though the research is not 100% conclusive. That is a government that cares about its people. Vaccines are not a natural way to build the body's immunity, and so we should ALWAYS be investigating them, even after we believe they are safe. The work must continue.

    Until then... I'm exercising my personal freedom and responsibility, and not getting one. Neither is my child. When he turns 18 he can decide for himself, but as long as he's under my care that junk will not be going into his body. He already has autism and special needs... I won't potentially damage him further.
    That's fine... and your right. My position is that I consider the possible side-effects of the vaccine far more preferable to the potential problems brought on by the disease. I've always been vaccinated, and will continue to do so when appropriate. Not too long ago I got the hepatitis vaccine and am glad that I did.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #57
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

    I think my buddy Randall Munroe summed up anti-vaccine hysteria (and the foolish "alternative medicine" movement in general) pretty accurately:

    Last edited by Kandahar; 11-06-11 at 07:00 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #58
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Of all the children I've met who have had it, I've never heard of a kid going to the hospital for it. I think that must be pretty rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Its one thing when a child gets chicken pox on their own and its another when a parent deliberate gives their children chicken pox. **** like these lollipops should be illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Per the tainted lollies: I never understood the thought process of parents who intentionally infect tehir children with anything. When I was a kid pox-parties were big. thankfully my parents were respectful enough of me to not send me off to one in the hopes I'd come down with it.

    Who does that? Like - ever? What type of person WANTS their child to contract an illness, condition or disease? A little twisted. It goes against parenting - I think. I protect my children FROM conditions - I don't want them to CONTRACT conditions.
    Chickenpox is less serious than some of the other commonly vaccinated childhood diseases, and the younger you are when you catch it, generally the less serious that it is. That's why parents traditionally tried to infect their children with it early-- before the invention of the vaccine, getting chickenpox as a small child was a crude but effective vaccination against catching it as an adult when it will wreck your ****. My mother made sure that I caught it when I was four because she wanted to make sure I didn't catch it in my teens or as an adult, because the vaccine wasn't available in the US until years later. If there had been a vaccine, I'm sure I would have received it instead.

    Now, measles, that's an entirely different story. There's a reason people in developing countries say not to count your children before the measles. And since measles is another one of those childhood diseases they vaccinate for, a lot of these anti-vax people are doing the same thing with it.

    And if you want to draw a link between the MMR vaccine and autism... well, autism spectrum disorders are one of the frequent symptoms of congenital rubella syndrome, which is caused by pregnant women contracting rubella during the first trimester. In other words, the MMR vaccine is responsible of the prevention of hundreds of thousands if not millions of cases of autism and other developmental disorders since it was invented. The fact that many "healthy" children develop autistic symptoms after the MMR vaccine is a coincidence, because that just happens to be the age at which many autistic children start developing symptoms-- dating back to before the vaccine was available.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    They aren't "safe" - but it's a matter of weighing our risk: risk of contracting THAT disease - VS the lower risk of developing reactions to the vaccine.

    I know some parents weigh out the risk and avoid certain vaccinations due to the high-risk rate associated with it and they consider that the risk of contracting said disease is low.
    This is textbook Tragedy of the Commons, because the more parents who neglect childhood vaccinations, the greater the chances that their child becomes infected. The odds of a non-vaccinated child contracting measles in the United States are negligible, whereas before the vaccine was invented it was considered practically inevitable.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •