Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 58

Thread: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

  1. #41
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

    Autism was never my forefront concern - even when my oldest was diagnosed with it.

    The unknown is my concern. I've always been well aware of the many medications and bits of advise that doctors over all the centuries have given - that have turned out flat out wrong leading to extreme problems such as deformities in unborn children and extreme complications and side effects.

    Complications due to vaccinations - in a variety of forms - do happen. So much so that there's a national vaccine injury compensation trust fund which compensates in the event of such 'side effects'

    The focus on Autism is out of proportion: for all the documented and compensated conditions that are related to vaccinations - few are autism. Statistics Reports However. Take into account the stringent list of qualifying conditions and their narrow time-frame. I imagine it's hard to determine, scientifically - and it's likely that autism is only one such potential latent condition.

    All in all: the percentile of cases-to-injections is low. A lot of children and adults are vaccinated - a small percentage overall have complications . . . but the payouts in compensations is quite high (in the millions each year)

    They aren't "safe" - but it's a matter of weighing our risk: risk of contracting THAT disease - VS the lower risk of developing reactions to the vaccine.

    I know some parents weigh out the risk and avoid certain vaccinations due to the high-risk rate associated with it and they consider that the risk of contracting said disease is low.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 11-06-11 at 10:16 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #42
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,090

    Re: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    From the CDC link I posted:



    Where has the CDC stated that vaccinations have been ruled out? They don't. They just keep repeating that they're safe. Yet they also say this:



    Children are not checked for mitochondrial disorders before they are vaccinated; yet many have suggested all children be tested for these disorders before being vaccinated. What the CDC says, basically, is that the possible elevated risk is worth the benefit. This is some small consolation to the parents of the 2,100 children who received payouts under the Vaccine Injury Program.

    CDC In the News - CDC Responds to Questions About Vaccines

    Reminds me of a dog my mom had. She was itchy-itchy-itchy. The vet gave her a steroid shot. She died. The vet said that she was found to be pre-diabetic after the shot was given. Had they known that, she'd have never gotten the steroids.
    i apologize if i come off as testy on the vaccination subject. after reviewing my own posts on this subject, i realize that my tone has been highly confrontational. it's just after suffering through post grad immunology, anti-vax woo is like nails on a chalk board. not to mention that i had serious lung surgery as a kid which left me very vulnerable to respiratory infections throughout childhood. had my parents been anti-vax nutters, i would certainly be dead right now.

    the adverse immunological reactions to vaccines that occur in the vast minority of patients are also caused by the real infection. and if one is not allergic to eggs, the benefits to getting the vaccine instead of the disease are great.

    the basic fact of the matter is that a lot of parents who have believed the hyperbolic woo of natural blogs have put their child's health in the hands of herd immunity, and kids have died because of it. more will die in the future, and it's completely preventable. some of those kids will be like me. the fact that they might get horribly sick or die simply because they didn't win the parental lottery really bothers me.

    it's "natural," though, to die during childhood or by age 40. it's so natural that humans become reproductively viable by age 13 at the latest. personally, i'd rather see as many preventable diseases eradicated as possible.

  3. #43
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,907

    Re: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Well... it seems like they have consent, since the parents are seeking out these infected lollipops and having their mailed to their own address. It's just ignorant because the lollipops contain a live virus and it's not comparable to a vaccine.

    I don't know why the parents are so afraid of their kids getting chicken pox anyway. It's not that serious of a disease and you're immune for life after you have it.
    Because if your family has an extreme susceptibility to it, like mine, you do everything you can to avoid it. Two of my kids, like me and my mother before me, suffered greatly. I've posted this before. Head-to-toe blisters, scalp, under eyelids, ears, mouth, between fingers and toes. My third child was born as the varicella vaccine became available, thus sparing her the misery and pain of going through it and me the heart break of trying to alleviate it.

    I would have preferred us all to get our immunity from a shot rather than go through 10 days of intense itching and recovery. There is no reason to go through that and risk your child's health.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We can’t get lost in discrimination. We can’t get lost in B.S. We can’t get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  4. #44
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post


    I have never seen a more perfect example of how modern civilization is interfering in the process of natural selection. Because this collection of gullible, sap-witted mental defectives believes that vaccines are "too dangerous" they are instead opting to deliberately infect their children with live strains of the diseases that they have purchased from strangers online for more money than the "greedy pharmacorps" are charging.



    I, for one, cannot ****ing wait until we have a vaccine for the HIV virus.


    I was a cop along time...the depth of stupidity that people can muster doesnt surprise me....vaccines work...period

    This is no different than the stupidity of some religions that want to deny children medical care for religious beliefs...thankfully the courts have stepped in and forced medical care for the children

  5. #45
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Autism was never my forefront concern - even when my oldest was diagnosed with it.

    The unknown is my concern. I've always been well aware of the many medications and bits of advise that doctors over all the centuries have given - that have turned out flat out wrong leading to extreme problems such as deformities in unborn children and extreme complications and side effects.

    Complications due to vaccinations - in a variety of forms - do happen. So much so that there's a national vaccine injury compensation trust fund which compensates in the event of such 'side effects'

    The focus on Autism is out of proportion: for all the documented and compensated conditions that are related to vaccinations - few are autism. Statistics Reports However. Take into account the stringent list of qualifying conditions and their narrow time-frame. I imagine it's hard to determine, scientifically - and it's likely that autism is only one such potential latent condition.

    All in all: the percentile of cases-to-injections is low. A lot of children and adults are vaccinated - a small percentage overall have complications . . . but the payouts in compensations is quite high (in the millions each year)

    They aren't "safe" - but it's a matter of weighing our risk: risk of contracting THAT disease - VS the lower risk of developing reactions to the vaccine.

    I know some parents weigh out the risk and avoid certain vaccinations due to the high-risk rate associated with it and they consider that the risk of contracting said disease is low.
    The risks of vaccine complications aren't even in the same universe as the risks of the illnesses they prevent. You know those people who claim they don't wear seatbelts because it's safer to be thrown from the car sometimes? Think like that, except on an airliner. Someone deciding that sometimes it's better to be thrown from your seat in a plane crash so they don't wear a seatbelt on the airline flight.

    That's pretty much the level of stupid we're talking about.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #46
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It makes sense, it's just to complex for you to comprehend.
    No, she's right. It makes no sense.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #47
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Well... it seems like they have consent, since the parents are seeking out these infected lollipops and having their mailed to their own address. It's just ignorant because the lollipops contain a live virus and it's not comparable to a vaccine.

    I don't know why the parents are so afraid of their kids getting chicken pox anyway. It's not that serious of a disease and you're immune for life after you have it.
    In rare cases you CAN get chicken pox a second time. And, having chicken pox leaves you susceptible to getting shingles in the future, a disease that is very painful and potentially quite scarring.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #48
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I got chicken pox when I was 24. Not a pretty sight. Ran a temp of 104.
    I had it when I was 30. Missed 3 weeks of work, had a pretty high temp. Most ill I've ever been.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #49
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    In rare cases you CAN get chicken pox a second time. And, having chicken pox leaves you susceptible to getting shingles in the future, a disease that is very painful and potentially quite scarring.
    Or you could be me and the super rare and get a third case of chicken pox.
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  10. #50
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: Mailing Chickenpox Lollipops and Other Infected Items is Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Parents deliberately exposing their children to chicken pox and measles has been going on for a loooong time...mostly, I'm sure, before there were vaccinations for the disease. Getting either one as an adult is much more severe than getting them as children.

    I can understand why some parents are hesitant to give their children these vaccines since there is some slight evidence that connects the vaccines with autism. The CDC says that one in 110 children has autism. WTF? Why? CDC - Features - How Many Children have Autism - NCBDDD

    The professionals "for" vaccines tell us that this high diagnosis rate is because of better detection. But higher risk from these vaccines cannot be ruled out. What's a parent to do? It's a bit scarey.

    Personally, I think autism has become fashionable. It's over-diagnosed by a system that is $$-incentivized to have more and more students needing special services. Not too much different from the bi-polar craze.
    Maggie... from what I recall the vaccine-autism connection was completely refuted a while back. The author of the paper that "proved" it, falsified all of the evidence.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •