Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 77

Thread: Hundreds of Thousands of Consumers, Billions of $$ Move to Credit Unions

  1. #41
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Consumers, Billions of $$ Move to Credit Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    Move Your Money Project

    link has a useful bank finder to help you locate a regional bank / credit union.

    i found a couple, but none which offered a better deal than my own bank, which is also on the list.
    Is the saving rates offered better than Amex? I'm pulling money out of my own credit union and putting it into my Amex bank account.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  2. #42
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,459
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Consumers, Billions of $$ Move to Credit Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Dan, just curious. What do you think credit unions do with all their money?

    I just looked it up. I think I'll move my money as well.
    The fact that credit unions use deposits to make loans locally is the primary reason I moved to credit unions years ago. My money stays in my local economy instead of fueling economies halfway across the country or globe
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  3. #43
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Consumers, Billions of $$ Move to Credit Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Is the saving rates offered better than Amex? I'm pulling money out of my own credit union and putting it into my Amex bank account.
    Smarty Pig is giving 1.1% but it's credited quarterly.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #44
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Consumers, Billions of $$ Move to Credit Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And, before you know it, everyone will be charging fees and what will have been accomplished? The fees exist because of the government, you won't escape them.
    Another straw man - There are NO fees NOW. Whether there will be in the future is nothing but speculation by someone who supports the banksters.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #45
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Consumers, Billions of $$ Move to Credit Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Another straw man - There are NO fees NOW. Whether there will be in the future is nothing but speculation by someone who supports the banksters.
    No debit card fee? I thought that was the whole point in dumping the banks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #46
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,692
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Consumers, Billions of $$ Move to Credit Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Another straw man - There are NO fees NOW. Whether there will be in the future is nothing but speculation by someone who supports the banksters.
    Oh there have been changes. Some have added fees, others have dropped rewards. Your statement is flat wrong. I was at Compass Bank and our debit card transactions used to get 1% cash back if we used them like a credit card (signature). Now they get nothing. Other banks have added ATM fees and removed free checking account options. There are fees NOW.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,006

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Consumers, Billions of $$ Move to Credit Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What's going to happen when the credit unions--because of the sudden massive increase in volume--have to hire more personel to handle the increase and then have to start applying the same fees to afford the increase in payrolls?
    What makes you think they will have to hire more people in branches simply because they have more deposits? And if they do, what makes you think that they cannot operate under the exact same business model that has served them well for decade after decade growing their business the entire time?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,006

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Consumers, Billions of $$ Move to Credit Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The fees exist because of the government, you won't escape them.
    Did I miss the important part of your post where you offered evidence to support this claim?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Consumers, Billions of $$ Move to Credit Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    What makes you think they will have to hire more people in branches simply because they have more deposits? And if they do, what makes you think that they cannot operate under the exact same business model that has served them well for decade after decade growing their business the entire time?
    If they have more customers, they will have to hire more people to service them.

    As for why credit unions will have to start charging fees? I'll let the credit unions themselves tell you by quoting:

    Therefore we are more likely to believe their claims that the Durbin Amendment will force fewer benefits and higher fees. A survey by the National Association of Federal Credit Unions found that nearly half of respondents are considering eliminating free checking to make up for lost fees. A similar proportion indicated that they would eliminate or cut back on rewards programs, and almost 9% professed that they might have to lay off staff members.
    Last edited by buck; 11-05-11 at 11:19 PM.

  10. #50
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Last Seen
    07-07-12 @ 09:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Hundreds of Thousands of Consumers, Billions of $$ Move to Credit Unions

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    Oh there have been changes. Some have added fees, others have dropped rewards. Your statement is flat wrong. I was at Compass Bank and our debit card transactions used to get 1% cash back if we used them like a credit card (signature). Now they get nothing. Other banks have added ATM fees and removed free checking account options. There are fees NOW.
    Let's not resort to scare tactics. The liberals think a CU's not for profit status means the CU doesn't have to make any money so the services will be free.
    I love the smell of burning moonbat in the morning.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •