Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 152

Thread: Denver Occupy Tries to Storm Capitol - Police use pepper spray, etc.

  1. #131
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Denver Occupy Tries to Storm Capitol - Police use pepper spray, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    No, they just want a fair shake. That's something that has been sorely lacking in this country for far too long now.
    A fair shake. What's unfair about the shake they've gotten?

    High debit card fees? Get a credit card. Get a checking account. Pay with cash. Gasp!
    High college tuition? Go into the service....get it free. Work your way thru college. Another gasp! Go to junior college for two years. Gasp!
    Teach in the inner-city and get your loans forgiven.
    Talk to your high school counselor and plan your education and lifestyle to get hefty scholarships. They're out there. But not for C students...

    What's unfair??
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Denver Occupy Tries to Storm Capitol - Police use pepper spray, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    A fair shake. What's unfair about the shake they've gotten?
    Being told that you are going to have to eat all of these bad loans even though you had absolutely nothing to do with them and those who did get bailed out is not a fair shake.

    High debit card fees? Get a credit card. Get a checking account. Pay with cash. Gasp!
    I have money in the bank and no credit card debt.

    High college tuition? Go into the service....get it free. Work your way thru college. Another gasp! Go to junior college for two years. Gasp!
    I haven't been to college in nearly 30 years and I paid as I went.

    What's unfair??
    What's fair about me (and my children) being responsible for all these bad loans?

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Denver Occupy Tries to Storm Capitol - Police use pepper spray, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    No, they just want a fair shake. That's something that has been sorely lacking in this country for far too long now.
    Here we go with "fair" again <sigh>

    Tell you what .... show me "fair" in the Constitution.

    What they want is a free ride. Or at least one with a big discount for them. What is "fair" to them is to have government, using its police power and a gun if necessary, to take from one American who earned it and to give it to the freeloader.

  4. #134
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,880

    Re: Denver Occupy Tries to Storm Capitol - Police use pepper spray, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    ROFLMAO... the guy shoves the bike (wrongly, agreed, but he did nearly get his foot run over) and the cop abandons it (letting it fall over) to chase the guy down. The cop was in no way "knocked to the ground". Only the truly deluded could believe that caption after watching the video.

    No one, at any time, deserves to have their ass kicked. I would like to make an exception for Andy Breitbart, but will not. Sorry, Rambo fans
    You obviously don't know anything about motorcycles.

    Balancing a 1000lb motorcycle is a delicate balance of clutch, throttle and brake control...along with feet and legs. When someone upsets that balance by shoving the bike sideways...one of three things happen:

    1. The rider might be able to right the bike by giving it gas. This couldn't be done safely because of the congestion of people around the policeman.

    2. The rider might try to hold the bike upright by sheer use of muscle. This is a good way to damage yourself.

    3. The rider lets the bike fall...getting out of the way so as to not get pinned down by the weight of the bike.


    Number 3 is what the policeman did. It was the safest choice for him and for the people around him.

    The protester put the policeman's safety in danger...as well as the safety of the other people in the area.

    I'll tell you what...if someone did that to me when I'm riding my Goldwing...I'd beat the crap out of him. That protester was lucky he just got arrested.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  5. #135
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Denver Occupy Tries to Storm Capitol - Police use pepper spray, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    They have announced that they are going to continue to "break the law" until they get their way. And what is it they want ?

    Free stuff. Paid for by others. More redistribution of wealth, from others, to them.
    So by protesting they are redistributing wealth...?
    This connects to Obama and the Democratic Party how?


  6. #136
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,081

    Re: Denver Occupy Tries to Storm Capitol - Police use pepper spray, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    No, I'm really not. Civil disobedience refers to simple laws, not major violations. You can look at it two ways, civil as in civil law or civil as in civil behavior major crimes do not fit in with either.
    "Simple laws"? Are you a lawyer of any sort? I really hope not because you move more goal posts more than a 6th grade goalie. Civil disobedience is not defined by the simplicity or complexity of the law but by a collective response to laws perceived as unfair.

    I am using those as examples and there have been reported rapes and sexual assaults. BTW, taxes paid for the government buildings but that doesn't equal all access, if you think it does try visiting a regulatory agency some time and check out all the steps you have to take to get a simple thing done. As well there were reports of theft in many of these protests that have made the news and some have advocated violating the property rights of private homeowners in rich neighborhoods. So yes, they have broken major laws, the last example is just that so I won't discuss it further.
    There are so many nonsense arguments in your posts that I really don't know where to start. I guess I'll start in the beginning just to see how quickly you bail out.

    1. Guilt by association arguments:

    OWS is not using sexual assault or rape as a way to voice its political opinions. OWS isn't using theft to promote its cause in any way. So what have you got? A few isolated incidents that are being used to paint a social movement as some sort of criminal mob that is simply there to commit crime. That's essentially what you have done. Honestly, I don't really care whether or not you want to discuss it further. It was YOU who made the argument that OWS wasn't a civil disobedience movement because the police had to use "force".

    2. You're contradicting yourself.

    First you said that civil disobedience was about disobeying "simple laws". That's nonsense and I'll explain why bellow:

    The key word is peaceful, these protests are devolving into non-peaceful.
    The peaceful demonstrations in the 60s were against segregation laws with 100s of years of history and legal frameworks behind them. I brought them up as an example because you clearly have not a damn clue as to what civil disobedience is or how it is defined. The South and Mid-West alone had hundreds of laws which made striking them down nearly impossible. They were anything but "simple laws". However you claim that civil disobedience is against "simple laws". So what does that make the hundreds/thousands of demonstrations advocating equal rights for women? What does that make the hundreds/thousands of demonstrations advocating equal rights for minorities? If we were to go by your logic "riots" because the police used force in many of them. However that simply does not fit the universal view of what the civil rights demonstrations were. So what do you say now? Are they civil disobedience even though the police used force? Or were they riots even though they were peaceful and the police were acting "lawfully"?

    You clearly did not understand that so I'll make it simple for you. You made the argument in post
    Rape, sexual assaut, tresspassing, and assaulting an officer aren't enough for you?

    See above.
    Red herrings do not help your case. They are a sign of weak debating.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 10-31-11 at 08:13 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #137
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Denver Occupy Tries to Storm Capitol - Police use pepper spray, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Being told that you are going to have to eat all of these bad loans even though you had absolutely nothing to do with them and those who did get bailed out is not a fair shake.

    I have money in the bank and no credit card debt.

    I haven't been to college in nearly 30 years and I paid as I went.

    What's fair about me (and my children) being responsible for all these bad loans?
    I guess your point is that your tax dollars are going toward the various bailouts.

    Blame your Congressmen!! They are the jamokes that take tens of millions of dollars in contributions from Wall Street to make sure they're regulated properly...wink/wink. What are the OWS'rs doing on Wall Street? They should be in Washington, Dfrickin'C.

    Major financial donors to Obama's campaign:

    Goldman Sachs $1.01 million
    Morgan Chase $808,000
    CitiGroup $736,000
    Sidney Austin LLP (Securities Litigation) $600,000
    Wilmer Hale LLP (Securities Litigation) $550,000
    Skaddin Arps (Securities Litigation) $543,000
    UBS $532,000
    Morgan Stanley $512,000
    Latham & Watkins (Securities/Regulatory Litigation) $503,000

    Top Contributors to Barack Obama | OpenSecrets

    I'm sure Republicans are no better. This is bipartisan cheating/conniving/sellingtaxpayersdowntheriver ****.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #138
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Denver Occupy Tries to Storm Capitol - Police use pepper spray, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    "Simple laws"? Are you a lawyer of any sort? I really hope not because you move more goal posts more than a 6th grade goalie. Civil disobedience is not defined by the simplicity or complexity of the law but by a collective response to laws perceived as unfair.
    I don't think you know what moving the goal posts means. I have represented the exact same position the entire time. The fact is that civil disobedience is not just protesting any old law. If that were the case we would call criminals "civil disobedeyors". The fact is that civil disobedience is not just anything a crowd engages in that is illegal, we have words for a group of people who engage in violence, that is called a mob. Once again, there's a pretty good chance that if an officer had to kick somebody's ass it wasn't civil disobedience.



    There are so many nonsense arguments in your posts that I really don't know where to start. I guess I'll start in the beginning just to see how quickly you bail out.
    Says the guy associating law breaking with protest.
    1. Guilt by association arguments:

    OWS is not using sexual assault or rape as a way to voice its political opinions. OWS isn't using theft to promote its cause in any way. So what have you got? A few isolated incidents that are being used to paint a social movement as some sort of criminal mob that is simply there to commit crime. That's essentially what you have done. Honestly, I don't really care whether or not you want to discuss it further. It was YOU who made the argument that OWS wasn't a civil disobedience movement because the police had to use "force".
    Obviously you don't understand that my stating the officers had to use force against that crowd for illegal behaviors isn't a guilt by association argument, rather that I am saying they dispersed the crowd for engaging in ILLEGAL BEHAVIORS.

    2. You're contradicting yourself.

    First you said that civil disobedience was about disobeying "simple laws". That's nonsense and I'll explain why bellow:



    The peaceful demonstrations in the 60s were against segregation laws with 100s of years of history and legal frameworks behind them. I brought them up as an example because you clearly have not a damn clue as to what civil disobedience is or how it is defined. The South and Mid-West alone had hundreds of laws which made striking them down nearly impossible. They were anything but "simple laws". However you claim that civil disobedience is against "simple laws". So what does that make the hundreds/thousands of demonstrations advocating equal rights for women? What does that make the hundreds/thousands of demonstrations advocating equal rights for minorities? If we were to go by your logic "riots" because the police used force in many of them. However that simply does not fit the universal view of what the civil rights demonstrations were. So what do you say now? Are they civil disobedience even though the police used force? Or were they riots even though they were peaceful and the police were acting "lawfully"?
    Okay man, since you don't understand the difference between what I said and meant I'll clear it up for you. Simple and basic laws have a reason to exist, those being public safety, health standards, not obstructing, etc. Those laws in the '60s and prior were not basic and simple, they were done to specifically exclude people because of factors outside of their control that hurt no one such as skin color and gender, those protests did not erupt in much violence UNTIL the death of Dr. King. It's pretty dishonest of you to even attempt to assume the two are similar. These protests aren't about equal rights they are about......well **** even the protesters haven't figured it out.


    Red herrings do not help your case. They are a sign of weak debating.
    Red Herring? HAH, you said the protesters were attacked and were civil, I have given you actual criminal acts as reported, you decided to dismiss them. I guess because your case is weakened by those inconvenient facts at hand. Again, do you call these acts civil? And if you would agree that the police are responding to those acts then wouldn't it follow that they have break things up to do their jobs? And if that is in fact the case then obstruction of their duties is a crime, they told the protesters to move on.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Denver Occupy Tries to Storm Capitol - Police use pepper spray, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I guess your point is that your tax dollars are going toward the various bailouts.

    Blame your Congressmen!! They are the jamokes that take tens of millions of dollars in contributions from Wall Street to make sure they're regulated properly...wink/wink. What are the OWS'rs doing on Wall Street? They should be in Washington, Dfrickin'C.
    They are on Wall Street and the Tea Party can take care of Washington. BOTH share the blame.

  10. #140
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Denver Occupy Tries to Storm Capitol - Police use pepper spray, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    This violence has got to stop. These people need to calm down and do something productive instead of provoking the police.
    That...or be more prepared for it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •