Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 111 to 120 of 120

Thread: marines-storm-reddit-after-occupy-oakland-shoot

  1. #111
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,874

    Re: marines-storm-reddit-after-occupy-oakland-shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    How much of that 15% is represented by the fine college gradutes of the International Culinary School, or the California college of Massage Therapy? How many of those are viable 4 year degrees in a field OTHER than Liberal Arts? I can guarantee you there is a shortage at every level in the med fields, social work services, and technical fields. Yes...you may have to move...thats what grown ups do.
    CCCP here I come!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  2. #112
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,081

    Re: marines-storm-reddit-after-occupy-oakland-shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    TAs far as solutions go, there was another thread where someone stated that the protesters were not exactly problem solvers. That is true. The protest is designed to make our nation's problem solvers fix the system.
    so much for self-government.

  3. #113
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: marines-storm-reddit-after-occupy-oakland-shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    I would love to come up with solutions for our problems. I just don't know how, or even where to start.

    Why can you bet on a short in the Market? What the Hell is that? I've been to casinos. I know that there's a 'No Pass line' and a 'No Come area' on the Craps tables. Should our whole Capitalist market system be equivalent to a Craps table? That sounds pretty low to me. 'Hedge funds' are just like betting on both teams in the Super Bowl. Who came up with that 'Push'?

    How do banks actually package 'Hot Swap' derivatives, that are nothing more than 'junk', into AAA rated stock packages? Why were they allowed to do something as shameful as that?

    How much insider trading goes on daily without anyone being caught?

    Why is Freddy Mac requesting an additional $6,000,000,000 in bailout funds today? Why will they probably get them from taxpayer money?

    Someone who understands how our economic system works (not me) should chime in and explain to me how and why these things are good for America. In the meantime I'll make a sign and go protest.
    And this is the problem. The fact that people want others to have all the responsibility for solving the problems, instead of working together towards that goal.

    If you don't know what something is or how exactly it effects the economy, one way or the other, then how do you know that you are protesting the right thing?

    And even if you are protesting the right thing, what in the world makes you think that those people who support that particular thing are the least bit interested in really changing it, especially when they know that you have no clue how to change it or what kind of changes would actually lead to helping you reach your goal?

    If you don't know what the problems really are and have at least some basic understanding or ideas of what might help fix them, then it isn't very likely that you will know that any policies the government comes up with will actually help you.

    Solution to this problem would be a) get some sort of leadership, preferably in the form of a committee, that has a good deal of understanding about economics, b) ensure those people actually have the group's best interests in mind, c) actually sit down and list out the problems the group wants dealt with (not necessarily every problem from every person protesting, but rather a list of the main ones, especially the economic ones), d) come up with reasonable and workable solutions to those problems (or at least possible ideas to get things headed in the right direction), and e) understand that economic changes take time and you must be willing to compromise.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #114
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,651

    Re: marines-storm-reddit-after-occupy-oakland-shoot

    I look at Reddit for pictures of cute puppies and people getting smacked by a pole. When a political link comes by, I skip past it. Why? Because the political stuff on there is mostly nonsense, just like it was on Digg.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #115
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,874

    Re: marines-storm-reddit-after-occupy-oakland-shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    so much for self-government.
    So we should all get Doctorates in economics? I understand our Nation's tax codes better than our economics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  6. #116
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,874

    Re: marines-storm-reddit-after-occupy-oakland-shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And this is the problem. The fact that people want others to have all the responsibility for solving the problems, instead of working together towards that goal.

    If you don't know what something is or how exactly it effects the economy, one way or the other, then how do you know that you are protesting the right thing?

    And even if you are protesting the right thing, what in the world makes you think that those people who support that particular thing are the least bit interested in really changing it, especially when they know that you have no clue how to change it or what kind of changes would actually lead to helping you reach your goal?

    If you don't know what the problems really are and have at least some basic understanding or ideas of what might help fix them, then it isn't very likely that you will know that any policies the government comes up with will actually help you.

    Solution to this problem would be a) get some sort of leadership, preferably in the form of a committee, that has a good deal of understanding about economics, b) ensure those people actually have the group's best interests in mind, c) actually sit down and list out the problems the group wants dealt with (not necessarily every problem from every person protesting, but rather a list of the main ones, especially the economic ones), d) come up with reasonable and workable solutions to those problems (or at least possible ideas to get things headed in the right direction), and e) understand that economic changes take time and you must be willing to compromise.
    Those are all excellent ideas. Could you get started on them right away? In the meantime, I'll just continue to walk like an Egyptian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  7. #117
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,271

    Re: marines-storm-reddit-after-occupy-oakland-shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Here’s one from Reddit user 0311kilo33:

    Marines Storm Reddit After Occupy Oakland Shooting of Scott Olsen - FishbowlLA


    Would the LEOs really take on the retired US Marines?



    This puts a lot of bite into the OWS protest.
    Don't worry, Big Sis has this covered in her Homeland Security plan. She knew these guys would come home and start a bunch of trouble.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #118
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,874

    Re: marines-storm-reddit-after-occupy-oakland-shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Don't worry, Big Sis has this covered in her Homeland Security plan. She knew these guys would come home and start a bunch of trouble.
    And why wouldn't they. They've been basically put through the ringer to work security for Halliburton and KBR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  9. #119
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,271

    Re: marines-storm-reddit-after-occupy-oakland-shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    And why wouldn't they. They've been basically put through the ringer to work security for Halliburton and KBR.
    Got direct evidence of that?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #120
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,874

    Re: marines-storm-reddit-after-occupy-oakland-shoot

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Got direct evidence of that?
    I know Haliburton and KBR hire their own Soldier of Fortune security groups. But could they are their security really operate in Iraq without the US Armed Forces presence?
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •