Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 204

Thread: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

  1. #71
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I think it was idiotic for the wall street protesters to call themselves the 99% considering the fact there is a good sizable percentage that make over a 100,000 a year that the OWS would want to make pay more taxes.

    The 53%: Occupy Wall Street backlash - Oct. 26, 2011

    NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Occupy Wall Street protesters might say they represent 99% of the nation, but there's a growing number of Americans who are making it clear they are not part of the dissident crowd.
    They call themselves the 53%...as in the 53% of Americans who pay federal income taxes. And they are making their voices heard on Tumblr blogs, Twitter and Facebook pages devoted to stories of personal responsibility and work ethic.
    The number originates in the estimate that roughly 47% of Americans don't pay federal income tax, according to the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center. The 53 percenters stress the fact that they are paying the taxes that support the government assistance the protesters say they want.
    I know! Those OWS folk should just get a job! What's that you say? Over 9% sustained unemployment? Nearly 1 out of every 10 people looking can't find jobs? Well...*cough*...get jobs, it's not like this corporate capitalism thing caused this. What's that you say? The preferential treatment in markets, lack of proper oversight in proper areas, tax breaks, subsidies, bail outs all helped to promote the overall irresponsibility of the market players who then knowingly over leveraged and when a bubble broke found themselves in dire straights and the government nearly immediately used tax payer money to bail them out and secure the future of the banks and Wall Street but when Main Street is in so much pain all the government can do is point fingers at its pretend sides and not get anything accomplished thus drawing out the sustained 9% + unemployment, impoverishing the rest of middle class and lower class America? Well...*cough* still....those OWS guys should just get jobs!

    I often have to wonder if anyone actually thinks anymore.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #72
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I know! Those OWS folk should just get a job! What's that you say? Over 9% sustained unemployment? Nearly 1 out of every 10 people looking can't find jobs?

    A lot of them have full time jobs if they haven't lost them yet.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #73
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,700

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Ha, you must of missed where I mentioned I was in the Army from 03-06 and it included a deployment to Baghdad with 1st Cav.

    I definately don't disdain the military in fact completely the opposite. Military healthcare is the only TRUE socialist medicine outside of Cuba and everything is virtually provided. So much so I saved 30k in my one year deployment on E-4 pay.
    Didnt miss it. The bonehead that got popped in Oakland was a former marine. Ddnt stop him from wrting his anti-military "**** the Marine Corps" blog.

    How much did you get paid while you were in? How many times did you recieve your benefit sheet indicating how much your 'socialized' medicine was actually worth as a benefit? You REALLY dont think military personnel PAY for those benefits? The low base pay is a part of a give and take. In any other job you would be compensated at a much higher rate. In a unions job...can you IMAGINE what the government would pay for soldiers, overtime, deployments, etc. It takes a special kind of mindset to declare the military a 'socialist' organization.

  4. #74
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,700

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    The 53% rebuttal has some good points, but the way it's manifesting is through partisan garbage. They perceive the OWS as liberal populism only, and they move to combat it by creating a polar opposite movement. This is what's wrong with America today. The people are so divided and fighting among themselves that the government and corporate powers can have free reign. That's what happens when your logic and sensibilities are shut down by emotional hyperbole.

    Many of the 53%'s arguments are already encompassed by the OWS movement, but a lot of their rebuttals are based on what they are reading in the media and are having emotional responses to. Maybe if they actually went down to their local Occupy protest and asked questions of real people, they would realize that they have more in common than first though. Of course, this is the LAST thing the government wants to happen, so they will keep sending their corporate mass media lackies out to keep the people divided into liberal/conservative.

    I swear... the day that liberals and conservatives come together under one banner, is the day that this government will probably send its military into major cities to stop the protesting. It'd be like two opposite charges coming together to create something powerful.
    The 53% folks present ideological differences that are diametrically opposed to the message and cause of the '47%'. Most Americans dont run around blaming others for their own situation. They dont resent the successful. They work hard to create success and arent foolish enough to believe a country can tax and spend itself into prosperity. They recognize who creates wealth and jobs in this country. The vast majority of the 47% blame republicans for everything and vote straight democrat ticket (at the end of the day thats ALL this movement is-another get out the vote measure). Add to that difference the leeches that had no problem taking out studfent loans insured by the government to give to their preachers at the Universities and then blame the banks for the student loan debt they ran up...the people that blame the banks for their own stupidity in purchasing homes...
    nah...there isnt much common ground.
    How many of you that just...golly...really support the people on the right as well as the left were tripping over yourselves to ridicule the Tea Party and their efforts to end the bank bailouts, end big government, and to promote fiscal responsibility? Oh...but thats different...right?

  5. #75
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,700

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I know! Those OWS folk should just get a job! What's that you say? Over 9% sustained unemployment? Nearly 1 out of every 10 people looking can't find jobs? Well...*cough*...get jobs, it's not like this corporate capitalism thing caused this. What's that you say? The preferential treatment in markets, lack of proper oversight in proper areas, tax breaks, subsidies, bail outs all helped to promote the overall irresponsibility of the market players who then knowingly over leveraged and when a bubble broke found themselves in dire straights and the government nearly immediately used tax payer money to bail them out and secure the future of the banks and Wall Street but when Main Street is in so much pain all the government can do is point fingers at its pretend sides and not get anything accomplished thus drawing out the sustained 9% + unemployment, impoverishing the rest of middle class and lower class America? Well...*cough* still....those OWS guys should just get jobs!

    I often have to wonder if anyone actually thinks anymore.
    Recent figures show that unemployment amongst college graduates today is still 4.7-5% and that they start at well above the median income. And funny but for a country with 'no jobs' we still have illegal immigrants pouring in and finding work. We have 114 legal immigrants an HOUR coming into this country and finding work. Yes...sometimes that is (gasp) menial labor and entry level work. Sometimes you have to work two of those jobs to make ends meet. Welcome to the real world. Next?

  6. #76
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    they have an offical list of demands? i did not know that, do you have link?
    Here is one. You can google and find variations of these demands but they include a lot of the same stuff.

    Forum Post: Proposed List Of Demands For Occupy Wall St Movement! | OccupyWallSt.org

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    It takes a special kind of mindset to declare the military a 'socialist' organization.
    Possibly one not mired in political dementia. It is in its essence a socialist organization, as it is founded and run by the state for the national interest and security of the country.


    ...duh?

  8. #78
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Cute, a GI telling me, a 20 year framing carpenter about hard work.
    So because you say you are a framing carpenter that's supposed to give you cred on the interwebz? Lots of people work hard - the military's no free lunch either, neither is picking vegetables as an immigrant, or being a small farmer, or a thousand other jobs.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #79
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Sounds like a good reason to get rid of the Bush tax cuts and reduce that 47%.
    Yes by all means go after the people who create the jobs and businesses.

    Do liberals ever learn from their mistakes of the past? Oh yea the answer is hell no.

  10. #80
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:06 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    8

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Here is an unnecessary division being propagated here by the media. The OWS people are angry about the same things the T party people are. Government spending, Unemployment, wrongful business practices, liars and cheats in high positions, ridiculous congressional ineptitude, the list goes on. In the same way that the T party is accused of racism and bigotry, the OWS people are accused of hippiedom and laziness. Neither is true. The fact is that many T party people were of minority decent, and many OWS people work or did work more than 40 hour weeks. I am surprised how easily so many of you seek to divide because the cable news channel tells you that this or that is happening. I admire both the T party and the OWS though I disagree with a few specific aspects ofc. The OWs have accomplished a single thing the T party never did. Once again we now may demonstrate in America w/o the need of getting a permit (I.E. PERMISSION) from the government. Do you honestly believe King George would have given the Boston Massacre bunch a permit to protest? Also do you honestly believe that the T party is a republican leaning group? I can certify that just because the talking heads say that they are, they are definitely not. The OWS are no more left leaning than the T party is right leaning. Yes I know there are hundreds of vids and many interviews, however that means very little because of two factors. First news channels seek outliers to exploit for ratings. The norm seldom sells and thus the most extreme examples are those placed on the news. Also the internet is full of outrageous stuff, from camels jumping through fire to the latest drone flights. This shows that the novel is placed online due only to the novelty. While this is not always the case, it is in the majority and all the more when emotions and opinions start to rule the day. Right wingers, go meet with some OWS people close to you before making an opinion, and liberals, go to a T party for yourself.
    The basic idea as I have been told of the OWS function is to stop corporate interference in governmental affairs, seek much more direct and functional transparency, and provide opportunity for advancement that is far more even tan the present social situation allows in modern day America. Many speak of "equal opportunity" however these same people have no idea of the truth of the state of the union. Wall Street brokers can make 20,000$ in ten minutes and they need not even be correct in their assessment to do so. It is not their own money they risk but instead a future projection made with many peoples money. This is why gas prices have risen more than 200%. This does not come because someone went to college and studied hard or worked diligently, this is a position born of networking and affluence. Now know that if a person makes 50k per year they are in the top 10% wage earners in the U.S. Does this seem like equal opportunity to you? There is more disparity in America than in any other industrialized nation on earth. Whats more, my daughter was born a month ago and is presently 143,673.34 in debt. This is not my doing but instead the pervasive theft of a generation. This is why the American people are seeking a reformation. I suggest uniting and fighting as one, not allowing CNN and FOX News to dictate our understanding of reality.

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •