Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 204

Thread: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

  1. #51
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,855

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    Cute, a GI telling me, a 20 year framing carpenter about hard work.
    Which perfectly illustrates the old adage.......... TALK IS CHEAP.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #52
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,582

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Did you bother to even read your little article or were you just too excited over the headline? "In a report released late Tuesday, CRP found that people in the securities and investment industry have dramatically reversed their campaign contribution trends, shifting from overwhelming support of Democrats in 2009, to an equally overwhelming support of Republicans in 2010" Someone is just a LITTLE bit selective about their outrage and blame...arent you? Both parties have been doing this for decades. Info me...who controlled the house and senate (and thus all spending legislation) in 2008?

    And hey...I dont blame you for abandoning the whole "Democrat proposals for deficit cuts" argument...that was a loser from the get-go.
    And what was your argument against the Democratic proposals for deficit cuts? You didn't have one. You said it wouldn't be substantial enough, but that's the equivalent of saying that you oppose chemotherapy treatment because a single treatment won't send the patient into remission.

    And that was a nice response but you forgot the part where you admit that what you just said - that Democrats are overwhelmingly favored over Republicans by Wall Street donors - was either completely uninformed or completely fabricated. Once again, if you just spent a little more time reading and less time responding these discussions wouldn't require so much dissent.
    A working class hero is something to be

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Last Seen
    02-21-17 @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    309

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Which perfectly illustrates the old adage.......... TALK IS CHEAP.
    Yep and I figure the flea baggers talk is worth about a nickle.

  4. #54
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,855

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by mtlhdtodd View Post
    Yep and I figure the flea baggers talk is worth about a nickle.
    I think your knee was just hit with that little rubber hammer.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #55
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,486

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    The sad thing is that I think a good portion of people (roughly 53%) are kind of misinterpreting the original intent of OWS.
    That's OWS fault for not having a coherent message to begin with. Don't label yourself and you'll be labeled by someone else, I thought everyone knew this. The idea that they have a conslidated "original intent" they deny themselves, as do most of the posters "defending" them here (at least when it suits their argument)

  6. #56
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,974

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    You seem to think that the OWS crowd is demanding more welfare benefits, which does not seem to be the case.

    Rather, many of the OWSers are young college students who are studying so they can get a good job but are fearful, for a variety of reasons, that there won't be any that pays the salary level they need to pay off the loans they accrue.
    I wonder how many of these people "fearful" about that could've worked during high school and summers to save up money to pay for a portion of their tuition rather than doing it all in loans, but chose not to do it or chose to do it but then chose to use the money on recreational things.

    I wonder how many of these people "fearful" about that could've attended a less expensive in state university but chose to attend a larger, private, or out of state university that cost significantly more.

    I wonder how many of these people "fearful" about that applied for the vast amount of scholarships that are available and used them to lower the amount of loans they took out, and how many didn't.

    I'm not saying any that made the choices listed above and are now "fearful" about paying off their loans and are protesting are whiners, or are even necessarily wrong. I have empathy for the fact they are in a tough spot. However, I do not have empathy for their seeming choice to not acknowledge some of their own potential decisions that lead to the issue but rather to simply blame "wall street" and "the rich" for their problems of student loans.

    Are there issues with regards to Wall Street, Corporations, and the Government in regards to the job crisis. Absolutely, and it plays into them not being able to repay their student loans. However, their decisions...made for legitimate or illegitimate reasons...ALSO play into it and they are simply being dishonest to ignore that.

    Going to college is not a gaurantee you will get a job. It is not a right to go to the specific college you wish to attend. The choices you make in regards to what college you attend and how you pay for that college is your own, not some corporations.

  7. #57
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,974

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    The sad thing is that I think a good portion of people (roughly 53%) are kind of misinterpreting the original intent of OWS. I think it has more to do with protesting the current state the economy is in and the way the government bends to corporate interests instead of the 99% of people who aren't rich. I don't think the intent of OWS is to say, "Wahhhh!!! Rich people have more money than me!!!", though I'm sure there are some involved in OWS who feel that way.
    The funny thing is, what's happening to OWS is much the same as what's happening with the Tea Party.

    There was an original message. The portion of the media disliking the particular movement ignores that message, minimizes that message, and focuses on the smaller percentage of people saying stupid ****, saying inflamatory stuff, or saying things that are not the direct primary message of the movement and protraying that as the main portion.

    What is funny is watching people on both sides acting in 180 degrees from the way they acted when it was done to the Tea Party

  8. #58
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,686

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustachio View Post
    And what was your argument against the Democratic proposals for deficit cuts? You didn't have one. You said it wouldn't be substantial enough, but that's the equivalent of saying that you oppose chemotherapy treatment because a single treatment won't send the patient into remission.

    And that was a nice response but you forgot the part where you admit that what you just said - that Democrats are overwhelmingly favored over Republicans by Wall Street donors - was either completely uninformed or completely fabricated. Once again, if you just spent a little more time reading and less time responding these discussions wouldn't require so much dissent.
    Are you serious? What was the argument over spending cuts? That you consider adding 10 trillion to the national debt over 10 years and crow about the possibility of...well...at least it isnt 13...

    ...dont forget to kick your grandkids. Hard. Laugh at them. Gotta toughen em up for what you are going to stick them with.

    The article YOU CITED shows democrats and republicans...back and forth lining their pockets. Its the flavor of the month club. Who contributed to Obamas campaign? And did you happen to see who he just hired as a senior adviser? Oh yeah baby...way to take a stand against that Wall Street influence on politicians.
    Last edited by VanceMack; 10-31-11 at 05:04 PM.

  9. #59
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    That's OWS fault for not having a coherent message to begin with. Don't label yourself and you'll be labeled by someone else, I thought everyone knew this. The idea that they have a conslidated "original intent" they deny themselves, as do most of the posters "defending" them here (at least when it suits their argument)
    They did have a clear message to begin with. However, it's become muddled mainly because of the random loony people that have been interviewed and the fact that the entire OWS thing has been labeled as "liberal" even though it really isn't.

  10. #60
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,582

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Are you serious? What was the argument over spending cuts? That you consider adding 10 trillion to the national debt over 10 years and crow about the possibility of...well...at least it isnt 13...

    ...dont forget to kick your grandkids. Hard. Laugh at them. Gotta toughen em up for what you are going to stick them with.

    The article YOU CITED shows democrats and republicans...back and forth lining their pockets. Its the flavor of the month club. Who contributed to Obamas campaign? And did you happen to see who he just hired as a senior adviser? Oh yeah baby...way to take a stand against that Wall Street influence on politicians.
    That's a pretty weak example of the Dems being "owned" by wall street. Your portrayal as both sides being owned by bankers and brokers just doesn't hold up to what's happened over the last two years. I understand you not wanting to concede that because you'd be admitting that you made false or uneducated statements and apparently you'd prefer people to believe you are infallible. Whatever.

    I do believe that the majority of our congressional members operate with the knowledge that they have to cater to corporate interests because that's who runs the game in this country. I don't deny that. But I do think that position is the status quo on the right and in decreasing favor on the left, there's definitely a difference. And the one member of congress who i actively participated in campaigning for, Al Franken, has been bold in his dealings with the financial sector and if every elected democrat had his integrity, we'd be much better off. That's where I'm standing, and as you can see by my posting history, I have no interest in repeating myself and demanding the last word, so you can savor it for yourself.
    A working class hero is something to be

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •