Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 204

Thread: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

  1. #151
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,207

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    PROFIT!!!??? How would the investments that Wall street make increase in value without growth in the entity that they invested? This growth is based on increased production that would be tied to increased employment.
    Profit doesn't necessarily mean jobs added. In a down economy companies have been increasing profit by decreasing expenses...jobs.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  2. #152
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    [QUOTE=Ikari;1059922602]There are some jobs, but that doesn't mean that everyone can find them. Thus is the flaw in your logic. near 10% unemployment means that we have near 90% employment. So sure, people can find jobs. But the high unemployment rate sustained during our recession does mean that even more people than normal will be UNABLE to find a job.
    They could, and I don't particularly think that's a bad idea.
    The main contention is the extreme mixing of State and Corporate entity. It's always been that.
    [QUOTE]Unfortunately, no one seems to know exactly what they are there for. And if the concern is with regard to the influence corporations have on congress, then maybe they should stop electing the congressmen that keep rolling in the stink with them in the first place. I offer someone 100 for a blowjob, that makes me a John. They ask me for it and take it, that makes them a whore. That exchange...they kinda need EACH OTHER to make it work and when the whores in congress control things via regulation, well...that just makes them high dollar whores...but they are still whores. Their protest probably should have been aimed a few hundred miles to the south.

  3. #153
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,498

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Patrick View Post
    Um... no. That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying I can't relate to people who let politics dictate their musical tastes. I thought I was clear before on that, but I apologize if I wasn't.
    I gotcha. I think that's sort of odd too. I would think many people prefer to enjoy an artists work, and not really look behind the curtain at the wizard of oz. I don't want to know the singer I'm listening to is strung out on drugs, in and out of rehab, or up on assault charges, or believes in aliens (Tom Cruise), etc. To me it does distract from my enjoyment of their art and it can reach a threshold where it turns me off. Thats not to say politics drives what they listen to, only that if that artist tries to leverage their artistic popularity with political marketing, it's annoying and distracting and may turn some off from enjoying them as an artist. Can't be helped with some who specifically write about politics or political issues, but I think you know what I mean.

    I like my artists ambigious on everything, even their artistic message!

  4. #154
    Androgyne
    Dr_Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Last Seen
    12-16-15 @ 11:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,349
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    I gotcha. I think that's sort of odd too. I would think many people prefer to enjoy an artists work, and not really look behind the curtain at the wizard of oz. I don't want to know the singer I'm listening to is strung out on drugs, in and out of rehab, or up on assault charges, or believes in aliens (Tom Cruise), etc. To me it does distract from my enjoyment of their art and it can reach a threshold where it turns me off. Thats not to say politics drives what they listen to, only that if that artist tries to leverage their artistic popularity with political marketing, it's annoying and distracting and may turn some off from enjoying them as an artist. Can't be helped with some who specifically write about politics or political issues, but I think you know what I mean.

    I like my artists ambigious on everything, even their artistic message!
    Well, for example I have been a fan of the band The Brian Jonestown Massacre for several years. Then I saw this documentary that essentially made the lead singer guy look like a complete nutcase heroin addict. Regardless of all that, I still love their music. I can't stop listening to it. Kanye West is a total douchebag, but I enjoy a couple of his songs. There is a real separation between an artist and their art and I refuse to combine the two.

  5. #155
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,207

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    I know of know significant business that is not always look for good candidates. Are you saying most corporations don't look for job candidates year-round?
    Sure, they are always looking for canidates...that doesn't mean they are expanding their workforce.

    As long as demand is down...there will be no expansion of the workforce. Companies don't go out and hire additional workers to produce the same amount of work. As of now the truth is most workers are putting in longer hours with less staff. Profits are up due to cost cutting...which means job cutting. They will not hire workers until the workers they have now cannot meet the demand of the market.

    This idea that our economy is going to turn around because companies just go out and decide to hire people is false.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  6. #156
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    actually it's an excellent argument that will appeal to the broad majority of Americans who are still used to the notion that one may have to actually work for something.


    what's nauseating is this guy:

    How is that "nauseating" many industrial countries have college paid for by the gov...


  7. #157
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    OWS has a "main contention"? I thought it was 99%, which has nothing to do with mixing of state/corporate entities even if there were such a thing as a "Main contention".
    That's what one thinks when they don't pay attention. They are claiming to be of the 99%, but that's not the main contention. That's in fact a rather pointless distinction to make. Lots of people fit into the 99%, it's nothing special. Their contention is that the government works predominately NOT for the 99%, that the entanglement of corporate entities and State have led to unfair market practices which reward large corporations predominately. That has always been the issue.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #158
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Unfortunately, no one seems to know exactly what they are there for. And if the concern is with regard to the influence corporations have on congress, then maybe they should stop electing the congressmen that keep rolling in the stink with them in the first place. I offer someone 100 for a blowjob, that makes me a John. They ask me for it and take it, that makes them a whore. That exchange...they kinda need EACH OTHER to make it work and when the whores in congress control things via regulation, well...that just makes them high dollar whores...but they are still whores. Their protest probably should have been aimed a few hundred miles to the south.
    I really don't get how people can say they don't know what the point of the OWS movement is. To me it's blatantly clear if you pay attention to the protest itself. As for not voting for Republocrats, I agree. Support of the status quo will not change the status quo.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #159
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I really don't get how people can say they don't know what the point of the OWS movement is. To me it's blatantly clear if you pay attention to the protest itself. As for not voting for Republocrats, I agree. Support of the status quo will not change the status quo.
    See two posts prior to yours. That has been the case since the beginning...wether its that clown or the people that say "I dont really know what we are protesting, Im just glad my generation is finally doing something"...to any of the laundry list of different groups, people, and reasons. But if it is strictly what you think it is...boy are those folks barking up the wrong tree.

  10. #160
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,498

    Re: The 53%: We are NOT Occupy Wall Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That's what one thinks when they don't pay attention. They are claiming to be of the 99%, but that's not the main contention.
    Bull****. Even pro OWS propoganda has to admit there is no real message
    Danny Schechter: What Is the OWS Agenda?
    Right now, as for a definitive agenda, action always speaks louder than words.
    ****ing with the police and breaking the law, what a movement.

    That's in fact a rather pointless distinction to make.
    Sure is. Why they focus on it, when it's pointless, is telling, no? The fact is that their myriad of messages make no sense, and anyone that has half a brain but WANTS to support OWS, convieniently claims that's not the "Real message". Keep up the denial and rationalization.

    Their contention is that the government works predominately NOT for the 99%, that the entanglement of corporate entities and State have led to unfair market practices which reward large corporations predominately. That has always been the issue.
    It's people that want some attention. Get in line. Of course, if I have to choose between an ignorant college kid without a clue, and a business person with $20K in contributions to the political process and who is bringing in jobs and pays gobs of taxes to our city, I think I can prioritze my line to put that college kid at the back. Oh wait!!!

    The problem is corporate lobbying is a dead issues politically, please let them eventually settle on that as the main issue because it will mean a quick end to a huge taxpayer money sink in cleaning up after these bozos who could have been doing something productive that actually made sense.
    Last edited by Mach; 11-01-11 at 04:05 PM.

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •