Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 56

Thread: Occupy Wall Street kitchen staff protesting fixing food for freeloaders

  1. #31
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Occupy Wall Street kitchen staff protesting fixing food for freeloaders

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    No, I get all of that. You, however, don't seem to get that using the same news sources is not evidence of being equally legitimate. The NY Post is not legitimate and your claim that I'm just condemning it because I "don't agree with it" is laughable. The Wall Street Journal also has a conservative lean, but it's a legitimate newspaper that isn't absolutely ridiculous like the New York Post, so please spare me the "you just don't like it 'cause you're a liberal" nonsense.


    I want to the see the source of this claim. Why won't you provide it?
    First off, your paragraph is absolute nonsense. You are trying to spin your opinion as fact which is utterly useless to me. Second, I wouldn't know where to find a source that would be satisfactory to you since it's knowledge I gained by going to school for the subject AND working in the news radio field for a time.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #32
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Occupy Wall Street kitchen staff protesting fixing food for freeloaders

    of organic chicken and vegetables, spaghetti bolognese, and roasted beet and sheep’s-milk-cheese salad.
    organic chicken, sheep's milk cheese salad.

    Seriously - is this what they're eating? I'm having a hard time believing that.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #33
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Occupy Wall Street kitchen staff protesting fixing food for freeloaders

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    First off, your paragraph is absolute nonsense.
    Let me simplify it for you: 10 papers that use the same source may all be completely different with how they use it so saying "they all use the same newswire services" offers no insight into how legitimate a newspaper is.

    You are trying to spin your opinion as fact which is utterly useless to me.
    Pot meet kettle.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    It's a legitimate newspaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    The Post is legit.
    Second, I wouldn't know where to find a source that would be satisfactory to you since it's knowledge I gained by going to school for the subject AND working in the news radio field for a time.
    I literally just a want a source that says "X, Y, Z newspapers" use "A, B, C news agencies/newswires". You claimed that this was fact, so why can't you just let me see the list? Your claim of authority means nothing on the internet when I don't know who you are. You could be some hobo at the library computer for all I know.

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Occupy Wall Street kitchen staff protesting fixing food for freeloaders

    I am overwhelmed by the abundance of legitimacy that this newspaper exudes.


  5. #35
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Occupy Wall Street kitchen staff protesting fixing food for freeloaders

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Let me simplify it for you: 10 papers that use the same source may all be completely different with how they use it so saying "they all use the same newswire services" offers no insight into how legitimate a newspaper is.
    So you are intentionally not getting this. It's the SAME ****ing NEWS. therefore you cannot use the propaganda argument because ALL of them have the same source news and everything is edited. The New York Times decides what to run and where to edit the New York Post does the same exact ****ing thing, so do Gannett papers, and so do the television networks, as well as the radio networks. They all do the EXACT SAME ****ing THING.


    Pot meet kettle.
    Whatever. Your attempt at insult notwithstanding I am correct, you are trying to justify papers that hold your bias while trashing those that don't and they all use the same processes on different sides. But wait, I am not trashing the other side so that "Pot Kettle" reference was complete BS.





    I literally just a want a source that says "X, Y, Z newspapers" use "A, B, C news agencies/newswires". You claimed that this was fact, so why can't you just let me see the list? Your claim of authority means nothing on the internet when I don't know who you are. You could be some hobo at the library computer for all I know.
    Well you can't have that source because there isn't exactly a detailed list available. Just look at the small letters on the story, they will either represent Reuters, AP, or one of the other two or three major wires.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #36
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Occupy Wall Street kitchen staff protesting fixing food for freeloaders

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I am overwhelmed by the abundance of legitimacy that this newspaper exudes.

    OH NO! Heaven forbid they write a hot Tag-Line. NOOOOOOO, I guess I'm wrong then....wait no I'm not it still has the pertinent information contained therein. BTW The Times has a fascinating expose right in front about the Jersey Shore cast going to college on their main content column from their web page. See, I can give irrelevant observations too.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Occupy Wall Street kitchen staff protesting fixing food for freeloaders

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    So you are intentionally not getting this. It's the SAME ****ing NEWS
    So your argument is essentially, "If they use the same newswire, they have the same legitimacy!" That's nonsensical, at bes,t simply for the fact that not every story written by these newspapers comes from those sources - including the one that is the topic of this thread.

    you are trying to justify papers that hold your bias while trashing those that don't
    Which other papers did I trash? I believe I trashed the Post and did not trash the WSJ, which I respect. Both a conservative newspapers, so...again, your post is laughable.

    Well you can't have that source because there isn't exactly a detailed list available. Just look at the small letters on the story, they will either represent Reuters, AP, or one of the other two or three major wires.
    Well, I have a feeling that a lot of illegitimate papers get some of their stories from the AP, Reuters, etc..

  8. #38
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Occupy Wall Street kitchen staff protesting fixing food for freeloaders

    Wow, apparently even socialists don't support freeloading. Who could ever have seen that coming? It's almost as if assuming otherwise suggests a complete lack of understanding of what socialists actually believe. That "from each according to his ability" thing... surprising that it doesn't mean "from each according to whatever he feels like" but actually presumes that people are hardworking and dedicated even without being compelled to do so.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Occupy Wall Street kitchen staff protesting fixing food for freeloaders

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Well, I have a feeling that a lot of illegitimate papers get some of their stories from the AP, Reuters, etc..
    Let me back up this point.

    Here are some articles from the daily mail, one of the most ridiculous and unreliable tabloids in the world - and they are from the AP.

    Trucker Nelson Vaquiz uses retractable licence plate to skip bridge-crossing bill | Mail Online
    Amanda Knox verdict: Supporters in Seattle burst into applause as she is released | Mail Online
    US immigration officer leads police on high speed chase after marijuana bust | Mail Online
    Feds order California pot dispensaries to shut down - despite being legal under state laws | Mail Online

    This is why I wanted the list. I wanted to see what other tabloid junk newspapers got some of their news from the same sources as legitimate newspapers. Again, your attempt to associate getting news from Reuters and the AP with legitimacy is laughable. The NY Post remains a joke. If you're conservative, I'd bet on the Wall Street Journal. I'm bored now.

  10. #40
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,452
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Occupy Wall Street kitchen staff protesting fixing food for freeloaders

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I will say this. There is very little actual reporting done these days, there are about three maybe four news wire services that do the bulk of reporting with the AP being the most prominant. With that being a reality different news outlets decide which of those stories to run based on the lean, this doesn't make their coverage necessarily untrue but rather selective. Sometimes news can be skewed by reporting more of one side than another, that tends to happen in political matter frequently though, obviously not in this case because these are the facts in the subjects own words on a one sided story, obviously the side of the served isn't all that important to the story because it changes nothing in the sentiment of those working the kitchens.

    Long story short this is an accurate story released by a legitimate paper, the lean does not affect the story. People who are on the protesters side want to dismiss it as a cheap shot, it's not that at all because in the servers own words they feel taken advantage of more or less.
    Well, while I was looking for the 7erm for the phenomenon I mentioned I found this:

    Peter Sandman: Agency Communication, Community Outrage, and Perception of Risk: Three Simulation Experiments (Peter M. Sandman website)

    Which while long and drawn out is a pretty thorough demonstration on how the WAY a set of facts is presented directly affects perception of those facts.

    That the same information can be delivered in different ways to effect a desired result in the audience.

    This is a glimpse into the science of public perception manipulation.

    Still looking for that term....
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •