Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 562

Thread: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

  1. #541
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist, replying to another View Post
    Why? Why should they?
    Because the beating you'll get if you resist will be worse than the beating you get if you don't resist? The right wing meme seems to be:

    1. Obey the police/authorities at all times (note this is not necessarily the same as obeying the law).

    2. Don't resist the beating you get if you fail to comply with #1.

    3. Don't complain about the more severe beating you get if you fail to comply with #2.

    SAN FRANCISCO | Fri Nov 4, 2011 9:25pm EDT

    (Reuters) - A former U.S. Army Ranger and Occupy Oakland protester was in intensive care on Friday after a veterans' group said he was beaten by police during clashes with anti-Wall Street demonstrators this week. Kayvan Sabeghi, 32, was arrested and hospitalized about a week after another U.S. military veteran, former Marine Scott Olsen, was badly injured in a confrontation with police that helped spark the latest round of unrest.

    The group Iraq Veterans Against the War said Sabeghi was detained during disturbances that erupted late on Wednesday in downtown Oakland and was charged with resisting arrest and remaining present at the place of a riot. [...] "They put him in jail, and he told them he was injured, and they denied him medical treatment for about 18 hours," [his business partner] said.

    Army veteran injured [lacerated spleen] in Oakland clashes with police | Reuters
    Last edited by Karl; 11-05-11 at 04:07 PM.

  2. #542
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,705

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    If you think the OWS protesters got what was coming to them, what do you think this "cesspool of Liberal idiots" had coming to them:

    Some of our more esteemed leaders did in fact argue just that with the original Tea Party. A point of interest, really, since Americans are expected to enjoy every bit of anti-Anglo fervor they can muster up (within reason, of course), that they forget that many did not appreciate the mob.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 11-08-11 at 12:50 AM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  3. #543
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Some of our more esteemed leaders did in fact argue just that with the original Tea Party. A point of interest, really, since Americans are expected to enjoy every bit of anti-Anglo fervor they can muster up (within reason, of course), that they forget that many did not appreciate the mob.
    Was the original tea party arrested for crimes much greater than anything the OWS protesters have done?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #544
    200M yrs of experience
    Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southeastern USA
    Last Seen
    05-07-12 @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,166

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    BBC News - Pepper spray: US campus police suspended

    Now if cities and counties follow.....

  5. #545
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    10-18-12 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    BBC News - Pepper spray: US campus police suspended

    Now if cities and counties follow.....
    HERE! HERE! dino, all the way up to the president! why is nothing being said at a national level about people being punished for protesting?
    Last edited by majora$$hole; 11-22-11 at 06:07 AM.

  6. #546
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by majora$$hole View Post
    HERE! HERE! dino, all the way up to the president! why is nothing being said at a national level about people being punished for protesting?
    Because its a state issue....?

    Or do we not believe in states anymore?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #547
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    10-18-12 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Because its a state issue....?

    Or do we not believe in states anymore?
    i agree it is a states issue as you say but the prez of uc davis thought it was a police issue and look what that is doing to her now. obama should take lesson from this situation and nip the excessive police actions against protestors nation wide in the butt or else he may be viewed in much the same light as the uc davis prez is.

  8. #548
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by majora$$hole View Post
    i agree it is a states issue as you say but the prez of uc davis thought it was a police issue and look what that is doing to her now. obama should take lesson from this situation and nip the excessive police actions against protestors nation wide in the butt or else he may be viewed in much the same light as the uc davis prez is.
    And he has what authority over deciding what local police do exactly?

    This is the exact kind of thing I am talking about....

    We do NOT have a dictator who controls all facets of life in the U.S. from his seat of power..........Yet people put too much blame or expectation on the office of the President.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #549
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    10-18-12 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    And he has what authority over deciding what local police do exactly?

    This is the exact kind of thing I am talking about....

    We do NOT have a dictator who controls all facets of life in the U.S. from his seat of power..........Yet people put too much blame or expectation on the office of the President.
    i agree he is not a dictator it is congress that is supposed to "get things done" the president can only suggest things to congress and veto things and start wars and that's all he does other than pr which is what i'm talking about. it's a "role model" or PR kind of thing caine. and that dictator who controls all facets of life you are talking about is what the police departments all over the country are turning into imo.

  10. #550
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by majora$$hole View Post
    i agree it is a states issue as you say but the prez of uc davis thought it was a police issue and look what that is doing to her now. obama should take lesson from this situation and nip the excessive police actions against protestors nation wide in the butt or else he may be viewed in much the same light as the uc davis prez is.
    President Obama isn't going to put his foot in his mouth and say anything other than "protesting is as American as Apple Pie...." which he's never said, by the way. What excessive police actions? Sayz you. The only people who view UC-Davis' president in an unfavorable light are those way too close to the situation to be objective.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •