Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 562

Thread: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

  1. #31
    Professor
    FinnMacCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Shore of Long Island.
    Last Seen
    03-12-15 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,272

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Some flash grenades, tear gas and rubber bullets are to expected in a protest of this magnitude. It is gaining strength and the status quo doesn't approve. Unfortunately, I doubt this will go on much longer without some deaths. This is the 1960s all over again.
    Veteran in critical condition after police assault at Occupy Oakland — RT

    Apparently the man mentioned in the article is an Iraq war veteran and is in critical condition.
    "Idealists foolish enough to throw caution to the winds have advanced mankind and have enriched the world.

    "The political arena leaves one no alternative, one must either be a dunce or a rogue. "

    "The motto should not be: Forgive one another; rather understand one another. "
    -Emma Goldman

  2. #32
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Some flash grenades, tear gas and rubber bullets are to expected in a protest of this magnitude. It is gaining strength and the status quo doesn't approve. Unfortunately, I doubt this will go on much longer without some deaths. This is the 1960s all over again.
    Not even close, my friend. The '60's protests had a clear focus...end the war. Filled with idealistic young people who were being drafted into the conflict...a conflict that KILLED 58,000 of our best. This menagerie can't even hold a candle to the dedication that brought those protesters together in the '60's. Don't insult a whole generation by that comparison.

    As to deaths? If any coppers are seriously injured, I hope they open fire. These people need to understand that there are rules....even as they execute their right to assembly and free speech. Who doesn't understand that you don't fight the coppers in the streets, you fight 'em in the courthouse? People who figure they're bulletproof. They're not.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #33
    Professor
    FinnMacCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Shore of Long Island.
    Last Seen
    03-12-15 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,272

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Not even close, my friend. The '60's protests had a clear focus...end the war. Filled with idealistic young people who were being drafted into the conflict...a conflict that KILLED 58,000 of our best. This menagerie can't even hold a candle to the dedication that brought those protesters together in the '60's. Don't insult a whole generation by that comparison.

    As to deaths? If any coppers are seriously injured, I hope they open fire. These people need to understand that there are rules....even as they execute their right to assembly and free speech. Who doesn't understand that you don't fight the coppers in the streets, you fight 'em in the courthouse? People who figure they're bulletproof. They're not.
    First of all, this movement is ony a month old and is only getting bigger.

    Second of all, it's wrong to hope that the police will fire on unarmed civillians. If you recall, a similar thing happened at Kent State in the sixties. Wasn't pleasant for anybody.
    "Idealists foolish enough to throw caution to the winds have advanced mankind and have enriched the world.

    "The political arena leaves one no alternative, one must either be a dunce or a rogue. "

    "The motto should not be: Forgive one another; rather understand one another. "
    -Emma Goldman

  4. #34
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by FinnMacCool View Post
    Veteran in critical condition after police assault at Occupy Oakland — RT

    Apparently the man mentioned in the article is an Iraq war veteran and is in critical condition.
    They were told to move or they might get hurt. Someone got hurt. Why didn't he move like he was told?


  5. #35
    Professor
    FinnMacCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Shore of Long Island.
    Last Seen
    03-12-15 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,272

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    They were told to move or they might get hurt. Someone got hurt. Why didn't he move like he was told?
    I don't know, but we should all be proud of the police because as this thing blows up, the Occupy Movement will as well.
    "Idealists foolish enough to throw caution to the winds have advanced mankind and have enriched the world.

    "The political arena leaves one no alternative, one must either be a dunce or a rogue. "

    "The motto should not be: Forgive one another; rather understand one another. "
    -Emma Goldman

  6. #36
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    They were told to move or they might get hurt. Someone got hurt. Why didn't he move like he was told?
    '

    Do you understand the difference between a peaceful protestor and a violent one? Do you shoot a peaceful protestor?
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

  7. #37
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by FinnMacCool View Post
    First of all, this movement is ony a month old and is only getting bigger.

    Second of all, it's wrong to hope that the police will fire on unarmed civillians. If you recall, a similar thing happened at Kent State in the sixties. Wasn't pleasant for anybody.
    You missed the part where I said if any coppers are seriously injured. On purpose. Paint cans flung at officers' heads are deadly weapons. Rocks are deadly weapons. If these protesters want to engage police on that level, they deserve everything they get. And as to those innocents who are so naive that they are there "for the fun of it," they must understand that they are painted, rightly so, with the same brush as those who use violence....when the chips are down.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #38
    Professor
    FinnMacCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Shore of Long Island.
    Last Seen
    03-12-15 @ 10:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    2,272

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    You missed the part where I said if any coppers are seriously injured. On purpose. Paint cans flung at officers' heads are deadly weapons. Rocks are deadly weapons. If these protesters want to engage police on that level, they deserve everything they get. And as to those innocents who are so naive that they are there "for the fun of it," they must understand that they are painted, rightly so, with the same brush as those who use violence....when the chips are down.
    Actually, I didn't miss that part.

    Even if an officer gets seriously injured, should we fire automatic weapons into a crowd?

    Actually, should we fire semi automatic weapons?

    Or any kind of lethal weapon into a crowd?

    Ever heard of the Boston Massacre?

    Plus, there is no evidence that the protesters were doing anything to hurt the officers PRIOR to throwing the paint.

    The police have video tapes. Why don't they release them? What do they have to hide?
    Last edited by FinnMacCool; 10-26-11 at 05:44 PM.
    "Idealists foolish enough to throw caution to the winds have advanced mankind and have enriched the world.

    "The political arena leaves one no alternative, one must either be a dunce or a rogue. "

    "The motto should not be: Forgive one another; rather understand one another. "
    -Emma Goldman

  9. #39
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by FinnMacCool View Post
    I don't know, but we should all be proud of the police because as this thing blows up, the Occupy Movement will as well.
    Yes, it was predicted that these would become violent. I've known it was coming for months now.

    I would look long and hard at the leaders of this movement before you trot after them gleefully.


  10. #40
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: Occupy Oakland Attacked By Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets, and Flash Grenades

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    '

    Do you understand the difference between a peaceful protestor and a violent one? Do you shoot a peaceful protestor?
    No one got shot.


Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •