Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 72

Thread: Naomi Wolf explains our constitutional right to peaceful assembly

  1. #61
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Naomi Wolf explains our constitutional right to peaceful assembly

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I'm comparing the declaration of "I have a right to do this" - not the event itself.

    We could be discussing countless other scenarios: They could be coloring on a sidewalk or having sex in their bed - doesn't matter. It's not the act - it's the issue of "who has the authority to declare whether said activity is right or wrong"

    If I write it without any "act" or specific event being discussed will it make more sense:

    Officer sees individual in the middle of an act.
    "Act" in this case was standing peacefully on a sidewalk.


    The individual believes they have the right to do said act and tell this to the officer.
    The officer believes they do not have the right to do said act.

    So - it's one person's view against the other - who has the authority to settle this conflict? What should be done?
    Common sense should prevail with the understanding of no harm from standing peacefully on a sidewalk.

    What should be done is that the officer takes the individual to the precinct - and the report is processed and a magistrate (an uninvolved third party) makes the ultimate decision.

    If there was no wrong done there are no charges filed and the individual is released.
    Meh, seems like there are more important priorities for police than arresting people for peacefully standing on a sidewalk.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #62
    Advisor Nick2253's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Last Seen
    05-15-12 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    321

    Re: Naomi Wolf explains our constitutional right to peaceful assembly

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    "Act" in this case was standing peacefully on a sidewalk.

    Common sense should prevail with the understanding of no harm from standing peacefully on a sidewalk.

    Meh, seems like there are more important priorities for police than arresting people for peacefully standing on a sidewalk.
    You're really caught up on the "peaceful" bit. But peaceful is a horribly subjective word. A terrorist could be standing peacefully on a sidewalk right before they push the button. A psychopathic murdered could be sitting peacefully in a classroom before he pulls out his piece and starts shooting. Protestors could be standing peacefully on a street corner before rioting.

    I hate to break it to you, but my definition of peaceful does not include protesting. If you are waving signs, shouting about "the man," and swearing at police officers, how is that in any way peaceful? And whether or not Ms. Wolf was actually doing any of this was irrelevant. By standing on that corner she was a part of that protest, and she subjected herself to the scrutiny of the police as a member of that protest. In such a situation, police officers DO NOT have to time to make individual judgements about every protestor. It's not their job to remember that Protester A was just standing there while Protesters B, C, and D were trying to incite a riot.

    Like I said before, a police officer is not tasked with making the right decision, only the best one under the circumstances.

  3. #63
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Naomi Wolf explains our constitutional right to peaceful assembly

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick2253 View Post
    You're really caught up on the "peaceful" bit.
    Yeah, aren't facts a bitch!


    But peaceful is a horribly subjective word. A terrorist could be standing peacefully on a sidewalk right before they push the button. A psychopathic murdered could be sitting peacefully in a classroom before he pulls out his piece and starts shooting. Protestors could be standing peacefully on a street corner before rioting.
    So your answer to the paranoia you feel, would be to ban people from sidewalks and ban people from classrooms???

    I hate to break it to you, but my definition of peaceful does not include protesting.
    Sounds like a personal problem to me!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #64
    Advisor Nick2253's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Last Seen
    05-15-12 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    321

    Re: Naomi Wolf explains our constitutional right to peaceful assembly

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Yeah, aren't facts a bitch!
    From Dictionary.com: Peaceful: characterized by peace; free from war, strife, commotion, violence, or disorder

    By that definition, protesting cannot be peaceful, because protesting is not free from strife, commotion, or disorder. I'll grant that there are other definitions of peaceful that do include protesting. But the fact remains that peaceful is a subjective word, so to claim that any statement using the word "peaceful" is factual is a gross distortion of the word "fact."

    So your answer to the paranoia you feel, would be to ban people from sidewalks and ban people from classrooms???
    Your ad hominem attacks are amusing. I never suggested, or even implied, that we should ban people from those areas. My point is that acting "peacefully" in those areas has absolutely nothing to do with the intentions of the actor. You argue as if everyone who appears to be peaceful actually has peaceful intentions. Should the murderer be immune to arrest because he "appears" peaceful? Even if he has the gun out, he is still "free from violence" until he starts shooting.

    I'll say this again (even though you've yet to respond to it), a police officer is not tasked with making the right decision, only the best one under the circumstances. Since "peaceful" is a subjective word, it's up to the officer to interpret it, and interpret the motions of the actors, and make the judgement call.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,486

    Re: Naomi Wolf explains our constitutional right to peaceful assembly

    The video was worse than I thought it would be, would be better to suggest people NOT listen to it.

    It's the end of the world, some liberal outside huffington was arreseted because she disobeyed a police officer for apparently no practical reason.

    Say it never happens. Why aren't we spending billions to find investigate this? lol. This is the U.S., not some european socialist dictatorship of years past, or Iran where the military is an extension of the supreme leader. It's ****ing NYC cops trying to earn a living and trying to keep the god damned peace.

  6. #66
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,855

    Re: Naomi Wolf explains our constitutional right to peaceful assembly

    The flood of threads on this board filled with righty wingers attacking the protests and the protesters and defending repressive police actions against it tells me that I am 100% right in ascribing authoritarian fascistic tendencies to many on the right. At other times they moan and cry about their precious LIBERTY and FREEDOM but only when they see it as benefitting their right wing crusades and goals. I have little doubt that if fascism ever comes to America, right wing libertarians and arch conservatives will be at the front of that effort. Threads like this confirm that with their own words providing a stinging indictment to their own hypocrisy.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #67
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Naomi Wolf explains our constitutional right to peaceful assembly

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The flood of threads on this board filled with righty wingers attacking the protests and the protesters and defending repressive police actions against it tells me that I am 100% right in ascribing authoritarian fascistic tendencies to many on the right. At other times they moan and cry about their precious LIBERTY and FREEDOM but only when they see it as benefitting their right wing crusades and goals. I have little doubt that if fascism ever comes to America, right wing libertarians and arch conservatives will be at the front of that effort. Threads like this confirm that with their own words providing a stinging indictment to their own hypocrisy.
    How Godwin of you. Nice job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #68
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Naomi Wolf explains our constitutional right to peaceful assembly

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick2253 View Post
    From Dictionary.com: Peaceful: characterized by peace; free from war, strife, commotion, violence, or disorder

    By that definition, protesting cannot be peaceful, because protesting is not free from strife, commotion, or disorder. I'll grant that there are other definitions of peaceful that do include protesting. But the fact remains that peaceful is a subjective word, so to claim that any statement using the word "peaceful" is factual is a gross distortion of the word "fact."
    "peaceful [ˈpiːsfʊl]
    adj

    3. not involving violence peaceful picketing"
    peaceful - definition of peaceful by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.



    Your ad hominem attacks are amusing. I never suggested, or even implied, that we should ban people from those areas. My point is that acting "peacefully" in those areas has absolutely nothing to do with the intentions of the actor. You argue as if everyone who appears to be peaceful actually has peaceful intentions. Should the murderer be immune to arrest because he "appears" peaceful? Even if he has the gun out, he is still "free from violence" until he starts shooting.
    Where were the indications of anything other than peaceful intentions?

    I'll say this again (even though you've yet to respond to it), a police officer is not tasked with making the right decision, only the best one under the circumstances. Since "peaceful" is a subjective word, it's up to the officer to interpret it, and interpret the motions of the actors, and make the judgement call.
    And if he makes a bad judgment call it reflects poorly on him and his superiors, and lends further support to the protesters.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #69
    Advisor Nick2253's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Last Seen
    05-15-12 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    321

    Re: Naomi Wolf explains our constitutional right to peaceful assembly

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The flood of threads on this board filled with righty wingers attacking the protests and the protesters and defending repressive police actions against it tells me that I am 100% right in ascribing authoritarian fascistic tendencies to many on the right. At other times they moan and cry about their precious LIBERTY and FREEDOM but only when they see it as benefitting their right wing crusades and goals. I have little doubt that if fascism ever comes to America, right wing libertarians and arch conservatives will be at the front of that effort. Threads like this confirm that with their own words providing a stinging indictment to their own hypocrisy.
    The hypocrisy of this statement is astounding. You condemn us for being unwilling to condemn a lawful request by a police officer. I hate to break it to you bub, but those "evil po-leece mans" are one of our most important defenders of liberty. Without a police force, who will defend your property, your family, and your life when someone comes to take it from you? Of course, you could defend it yourself, but what if the owner of the Chase bank that was invaded by the Occupy Oakland protestors had decided to defend his property with a semi-automatic rifle?

    Society is a complex and fragile balance between the rights of the individual and the rights of the many. I strongly believe that we have tilted too far towards the side of preserving the "rights of the many," and we must tilt back towards the "rights of the individual." But when someone like Naomi Wolf refuses to follow what amounts to a trivial (and legal, by the way) order by a police officer, I will have no sympathy for her. Cox v. New Hampshire granted states the right to place reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions on protests, and the police officer, as an indirect officer of that state, was acting to enforce the rights of his state.

  10. #70
    Advisor Nick2253's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Last Seen
    05-15-12 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    321

    Re: Naomi Wolf explains our constitutional right to peaceful assembly

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    "peaceful [ˈpiːsfʊl]
    adj

    3. not involving violence peaceful picketing"
    peaceful - definition of peaceful by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    Thank you for making my point for me. I'm not sure what you were trying to prove with this.

    Where were the indications of anything other than peaceful intentions?
    Since neither you nor I were in attendance when the event occurred, how could either of us have any indication of what her intentions were? This is a meaningless argument.

    And if he makes a bad judgment call it reflects poorly on him and his superiors, and lends further support to the protesters.
    Again, what is your point? Police officers who consistently make "wrong" decisions will not last very long before they will be let go. But to demand that all police officers make perfect decisions every single time is unrealistic.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •