Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54

Thread: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

  1. #41
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I agree that you cannot legislate human behavior, but that in and of itself is not enough of a reason to not legislate. You cannot legislate away things like murder and rape, but legislation against them are still appropriate, if only for punishment after the fact. The key should include weighing the damage done to innocent and unwilling victims, not whether or not it will happen anyway.

    I suppose one could argue that there are innocent and unwilling victims relating to drug use, and I don't necessarily disagree with that (though I don't buy into it fully, either), but I would say that much of it is more due to the illegal factor and resulting underground crime, not as much the drug availability itself.
    The key is other criminal activity. Drugs as a rule shouldn't be illegal in and of themselves, but if you get coked up and injure or kill someone much like a OWI accident then you should face severe charges. If someone has responsibilities and defaults due to their habit like child support avoidance then throw the book at them.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #42
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    California is having trouble paying its bills now -- how do you figure that having to field its own military, send out its own diplomats, negotiate its own treaties, and finagle its own currency is going to help that? Also, are you under the illusion that California would be permitted to simply walk away from its share of the national debt?
    The State of California has 11% of the population of the country, and produces 13% of the GDP. Moreover, it is a net payer of federal taxes. It could do quite well as an independent nation.

    It would have to deal with illegal immigrants from the US, of course, as well as those from Mexico.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #43
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    The State of California has 11% of the population of the country, and produces 13% of the GDP. Moreover, it is a net payer of federal taxes. It could do quite well as an independent nation.

    It would have to deal with illegal immigrants from the US, of course, as well as those from Mexico.
    So you believe it could field all of the expenses I listed on its own?
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    So you believe it could field all of the expenses I listed on its own?
    Why not? If Californians are producing more than their share of the GDP, and are sending more money to Washington than they are getting back, why should they have any trouble at all fielding all of the expenses of being an independent nation on their own? It's not like the state would be a small economy, after all.

    Moreover, we could make a deal with the US: In exchange for not having to pay a share of the national debt, the US could have free access to the Pacific Ocean and its ports.

    Such a deal.

    All that the government in Washington would have to do would be to be as understanding as Mexico was when California split away from them.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #45
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Why not? If Californians are producing more than their share of the GDP, and are sending more money to Washington than they are getting back, why should they have any trouble at all fielding all of the expenses of being an independent nation on their own? It's not like the state would be a small economy, after all.
    Right, except for the very real possibility that California wouldn't be able to buy military technology from the United States, depending on how the break-up went -- and even if it could, I don't imagine that its coffers are overflowing with the currency needed to immediately fill the security gap created by secession.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Moreover, we could make a deal with the US: In exchange for not having to pay a share of the national debt, the US could have free access to the Pacific Ocean and its ports.
    Yeah, except Oregon and Washington hold a piece of the coast too. While we're at it, why should the rest of the United States permit the on-time shipments of all the goods California requires and obtains via interstate freight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Such a deal.
    Such a deal, with a price tag in the 13-14 figure range.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Right, except for the very real possibility that California wouldn't be able to buy military technology from the United States, depending on how the break-up went -- and even if it could, I don't imagine that its coffers are overflowing with the currency needed to immediately fill the security gap created by secession.



    Yeah, except Oregon and Washington hold a piece of the coast too. While we're at it, why should the rest of the United States permit the on-time shipments of all the goods California requires and obtains via interstate freight?



    Such a deal, with a price tag in the 13-14 figure range.
    Canada seems to be getting along pretty well without buying US military technology. I don't see where that would be a problem.

    We could possibly dicker a little on the providing access to the coast issue. Of course, the US would still have Oregon and Washington, but that's a long trip if you're headed for Hawaii or Asia.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #47
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Canada seems to be getting along pretty well without buying US military technology. I don't see where that would be a problem.
    They already have a military. California would need to establish one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    We could possibly dicker a little on the providing access to the coast issue. Of course, the US would still have Oregon and Washington, but that's a long trip if you're headed for Hawaii or Asia.
    The distance between Portland and Tokyo is roughly 4850 miles. The distance between Eureka and Tokyo is roughly 4950 miles.

    The distance between Porland and Hawaii is roughly 2600 miles. The distance between Hawaii and San Francisco is roughly 2450 miles.

    Not going to make a difference.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    They already have a military. California would need to establish one.
    That shouldn't be a problem once we quit sending all our money to Washington. We wouldn't need a huge military anyway. We'd just beef up the National Guard a bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    The distance between Portland and Tokyo is roughly 4850 miles. The distance between Eureka and Tokyo is roughly 4950 miles.

    The distance between Porland and Hawaii is roughly 2600 miles. The distance between Hawaii and San Francisco is roughly 2450 miles.

    Not going to make a difference.
    True, but California could provide a shortcut or two. For example, shipping pineapples from Hawaii to Phoenix or Houston would be a shorter trip. Cruising the Mexican Riviera is a lot closer from San Diego than from Portland, too.

    If Arizonans could still afford to buy pineapples, the shorter trip could be a help.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #49
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    That shouldn't be a problem once we quit sending all our money to Washington. We wouldn't need a huge military anyway.
    I think you're being a shade too optimistic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    We'd just beef up the National Guard a bit.
    You're welcome to it, just as soon as the Federal government gets its equipment back.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    True, but California could provide a shortcut or two. For example, shipping pineapples from Hawaii to Phoenix or Houston would be a shorter trip. Cruising the Mexican Riviera is a lot closer from San Diego than from Portland, too.

    If Arizonans could still afford to buy pineapples, the shorter trip could be a help.
    Not short enough to give you any wiggle room on trillions of dollars of national debt.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  10. #50
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,701
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    The State of California has 11% of the population of the country, and produces 13% of the GDP. Moreover, it is a net payer of federal taxes. It could do quite well as an independent nation.

    It would have to deal with illegal immigrants from the US, of course, as well as those from Mexico.
    No problem. We are, unfortunately, a "sanctuary state."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •