Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 54

Thread: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

  1. #11
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    The states need to just say no, as in, "No, we are not going to participate in your drug war, and we will arrest any federal agents exercising unconstitutional and illegal powers in our state."

    The states must interpose to protect their citizens from an out of control federal government that has completely lost its constitutional mooring. Someone has to uphold the constitution.
    Or we could put the responsibility to voters who vote for legislators, executive offices, law enforcement, and district and state attorneys based on emotion rather than rationality.

    Remember, the reason why the government has made its crusade against drugs is because voters keep electing officials who toe the line about the dangers of drugs. If voters would elect officials who would legislate, enforce, and prosecute drug policy in a rational and fair way, and, more importantly, if voters would actively support politicians who try to end the War on Drugs then more politicians would seek an end to the War on Drugs.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  2. #12
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Hellooooo?? He didn't say "drug laws are a mistake," no matter how much you wish he had. He said it was a mistake to have Federal laws against them...requiring the Federal justice system to try them and Federal resources to police them. It's a state matter.

    If you don't think it should be illegal to have a meth lab, be able to buy and sell coke, heroin, meth, whatever - well, I just don't know what to tell ya'. Except: WHAAAAT????

    Marijuana? I'm with ya' there. But only just.
    The short of it is that drug laws are too draconian all across the country. And while I, personally, have no problem with the legalization of all recreational drugs having state governments regulate recreational drugs would go a long way, and as such minor recreational drugs, such as marijuana, can be used in states with enough users to warrant their legalization.

    I still think the federal government will be needed for certain issues, such as the unauthorized transport of recreational drugs across state lines, but, yes, having the bulk of drug policy be decided by state governments will go quite far to ending the War on Drugs.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    It's not common for a sitting Justice to telegraph his POVs like this. There's no particular set of ethics rules for the Supremes, but if a sitting federal District Court Judge had given this speech, he or she would be in hot water. Impartiality is SUPPOSED to be their hallmark.

    Not that I wouldn't love to see virtually all drug laws repealed, but it makes me uncomfy that Scalia is announcing his bias.

  4. #14
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Hellooooo?? He didn't say "drug laws are a mistake," no matter how much you wish he had. He said it was a mistake to have Federal laws against them...requiring the Federal justice system to try them and Federal resources to police them. It's a state matter.

    If you don't think it should be illegal to have a meth lab, be able to buy and sell coke, heroin, meth, whatever - well, I just don't know what to tell ya'. Except: WHAAAAT????

    Marijuana? I'm with ya' there. But only just.
    Why pick and choose where you want the government to intervene? Perhaps just your drug of choice should be legal?

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Or we could put the responsibility to voters who vote for legislators, executive offices, law enforcement, and district and state attorneys based on emotion rather than rationality.

    Remember, the reason why the government has made its crusade against drugs is because voters keep electing officials who toe the line about the dangers of drugs. If voters would elect officials who would legislate, enforce, and prosecute drug policy in a rational and fair way, and, more importantly, if voters would actively support politicians who try to end the War on Drugs then more politicians would seek an end to the War on Drugs.
    Agree, but with a proviso. The responsibility lies with the voters, for certain. But the responsibility for drug laws in my state begins and ends with the voters in my state, not the voters in any other state. On matters of drug policy, the citizens of California, for example, have no authority over the citizens of Pennsylvania because drug policy is not among the enumerated powers of the congress of these united states.

  6. #16
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    Agree, but with a proviso. The responsibility lies with the voters, for certain. But the responsibility for drug laws in my state begins and ends with the voters in my state, not the voters in any other state. On matters of drug policy, the citizens of California, for example, have no authority over the citizens of Pennsylvania because drug policy is not among the enumerated powers of the congress of these united states.
    Well, Congress absolutely has the right to criminalize recreational drugs, as Congress has the power to regulate interstate commerce. However, I think it is better that Congress devolve the majority of these powers to the states.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  7. #17
    Student Whoppletraps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-25-13 @ 04:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    264

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    If you don't think it should be illegal to have a meth lab, be able to buy and sell coke, heroin, meth, whatever - well, I just don't know what to tell ya'. Except: WHAAAAT????
    Why not?

    As long as you're not hurting anybody else then it should be legal. If an somebody wants to shoot heroin or snort blow then they have the right to, this should be a free country.
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul

  8. #18
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    This being Scalia, I sense ulterior motives. But maybe something good can come of this.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  9. #19
    Student Whoppletraps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-25-13 @ 04:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    264

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Well, Congress absolutely has the right to criminalize recreational drugs
    They don't have the right to impose on people's liberty imo.

    I am reminded of a quote from Ayn Rand:

    "Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities(and the smallest minority on earth is the individual)."
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul

  10. #20
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Scalia: Federal Drug Laws Were a Mistake

    Quote Originally Posted by Whoppletraps View Post
    They don't have the right to impose on people's liberty imo.

    I am reminded of a quote from Ayn Rand:

    "Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities(and the smallest minority on earth is the individual)."
    Well, nowhere in the Constitution does it explicitly say that the government does not have the right to impose on people's liberty, and nowhere in the Constitution does it say that the people's liberty may not be imposed by the government. Rather, the Constitution lists several explicit freedoms that people enjoy that the government may not infringe upon and the Constitution also lists several explicit powers to the government.

    One of these explicit powers that the Constitution gives to Congress is the power to regulate interstate commerce. Therefore, Congress can criminalize the manufacture, distribution, use, and ownership of drugs.

    So it is a disservice to the legalization effort to say that the government does not have these powers. Because, you know, they absolutely do.

    However, a better effort would be to convincing politicians that while Congress has, indeed, the power to regulate drugs in this way they should be willing to not exercise that power and instead choose to devolve it to the state governments.

    That argument, I think, we do much better than saying the federal government has no powers.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •