Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 231

Thread: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

  1. #41
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I get the point, though. It's like me saying that I shouldn't be able to get free cokes out of the machine because of a glitch while I use the glitch everyday to get free cokes. If I'm going to call out the practice I should be prepared to set an example until the glitch is corrected. There's nothing to stop him from sending more money to the IRS, or to correct his practices to avoid loop holes. He chooses not to while simultaneously complaining that they exist. It certainly makes him look a little dishonest about his concerns, if not his intent.
    No, since one of that would be illegal, while not paying more in taxes than you actually owe is just smart and legal.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale
    So really, the company that Buffet is CEO of, mind you he's not their accountant, owes back taxes. There's nothing in this article to suggest that Buffet knew about this practice or signed off on it or that the tax issue comes from willful malice or a simple mistake. All we know is that he is involved in it, and you disagree with him.

    None of this has anything to do with the validity of his message.
    Well, in that case, may as well go to Club Fed and ask that Ken Lay be set free, because he took the hit for a lot of shaaaaaaady accountants at Enron.

    Ignorance is not a defense in this case.

  3. #43
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Criminy...seriously? He is claiming something that he is guilty of doing is wrong and shouldnt be done. If he believes it, he shouldnt be DOING it. Integrity...consistency...would be doing what you say you believe regardless of whether or not you CAN.

    And BTW...unless he can lay down his tax paperwork next to his secretaries...he's still full of crap with his claim.
    Show me where Buffett has ever said any one should pay more in taxes than they owe. If you cannot do that, your point fails.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #44
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, since one of that would be illegal, while not paying more in taxes than you actually owe is just smart and legal.
    I still fail to see how you can argue that his actions completely disregarding his speech is in no way dishonest, or could at least appear to be insincere.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  5. #45
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Buffett made no claim about the aggregate. You should read what he wrote.
    I read what he wrote. I read what Obama used as his whole 'Tax the rich' justification. He cherry picked a portion of his wealth to make a point so they could change the laws.

  6. #46
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I do not think you understand what the word disingenuous means either. He has been quite clear that he does these things. That is the point, that those things are there.
    Admitting behavior doesn't excuse it, but while we are at this line of thinking if he was being totally honest and upfront then why would there be that large of a tax dispute? Usually those disputes come up because the IRS has questions about something that doesn't add up, in this case we have a billion somethings that didn't, you don't get that large of a tax bill by being an angel. Face it, Buffett is a grand example of hypocracy. Again, if Buffett is really losing sleep over the loopholes he exploits then why would he do it. I agree in using loopholes, just not doing so while acting like Buffett does basically crying crocodile tears.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #47
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,600

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Show me where Buffett has ever said any one should pay more in taxes than they owe. If you cannot do that, your point fails.
    Buffet has said he believes HE should be taxed at a higher rate, yet he hires teams of people to squeeze out every penny. He is a hypocrite. If he believes what he has said, then he shoudlnt need to be FORCED to do it...he should simply do it. Personal integrity and hypocrisy isnt governed by what someone else says or does...it is governed by what you the speaker say and do.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    It has remnants of John Edwards going everywhere to convince Americans to save fuel - on his private jet.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That is what we call a straw man. I simply pointed out the actual facts of the case, and by the way, he is not cheating on his taxes, his corporation is in dispute on what is owed. If you would care to argue with what I said as opposed to what you wish I had said, I would appreciate it.
    Suffice it to say that you have been shown to be incorrect. Appreciation noted retroactively.

  10. #50
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I still fail to see how you can argue that his actions completely disregarding his speech is in no way dishonest, or could at least appear to be insincere.
    Then you are not following what he is saying. If you go into a store and see something on sale and think "they cannot make money at this price", are you a hypocrite if you do not pay more for it than the marked price? That is exactly what he is doing, saying that the tax bill he gets is lower than it should be. He is not saying any one should pay more than what they are billed however.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •