Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 231

Thread: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You can argue that...especially when you are defending his position because you agree with it.
    What is there to disagree with? CG are taxed lower than regular income.

    His generalized statement is a lie. He does not pay less than his secretary in amount or percentage of his total accumulated income. He used a small piece of HIS income to compare to her total income and made a false statement...on which the 'Buffet Rule' has been built. Convenient.
    Buffett has said that the Buffett Rule is NOT his position and he does not support it.

  2. #162
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,730

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    What in regards to his own tax rates or his company? I've explained my views on his company. As far as his compensation...he's received compansation in it's present form since the 70's when it was taxed heavily. He's always wanted his personal wealth to be based on the value added to his shareholders...he did it before it was cool.

    Your argument is wrong because his point is that "elites" and wealthy in this country owe this country. He spoke out against a policy he disagrees with. Conservatives are grasping at straws and trying to discredit the man. Does hypocrisy matter? Yes. Does that fact that he doesn't change his whole mode of compensation that he instituted based on his principles make him a hypocrite? No. Does writing a check to the Treasury above the amount he owe change policy he disagrees with? No. You guys just want him to shut up, plain and simple.
    He can fight for policy change all he wants. If HE says he believes what HE is doing is wrong then HE shouldnt need the government to FORCE him to do the right thing. You defend it because you want the rich to be taxed more. Doesnt make him NOT a hypocrite.

  3. #163
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Wait...you are saying doing what Warren Buffet says is the 'right thing' would bankrupt the company? Why...then by golly we should be RUSHING to embrace his plan shouldnt we?
    Sigh...

    Yes, sometimes the right thing would bankrupt a company, or allow it to be taken over by other companies. For example, if everyone sold toys made by child slave labor and I tried to suddenly start selling toys that were not made by child slave labor but cost 5 times as much, then I would probably go bankrupt or my company would be taken over by a company that did use child slave labor. Before I could stop selling toys made by child slave labor, I would have get laws passed so that nobody could sell toys made by child slave labor so that competitive advantage no longer existed for anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  4. #164
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,730

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Sigh...

    Yes, sometimes the right thing would bankrupt a company, or allow it to be taken over by other companies. For example, if everyone sold toys made by child slave labor and I tried to suddenly start selling toys that were not made by child slave labor but cost 5 times as much, then I would probably go bankrupt or my company would be taken over by a company that did use child slave labor. Before I could stop selling toys made by child slave labor, I would have get laws passed so that nobody could sell toys made by child slave labor so that competitive advantage no longer existed for anyone.
    You left off one of your tap dancing shoes...its just making an ugly racket...you should just stop and say..."huh...OK...that didnt sound very smart...you are right. OK...THIS is what I mean..."

    Buffet isnt claiming he would be bankrupt, nor would his company be bankrupt. He is stating he can EASILY afford to be taxed more and SHOULD be taxed more..and if that is what he truly believes then he should already be LIVING it. Otherwise and definitely...he is a hypocrite. More so because he could so easily afford what he claims he believes.

  5. #165
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    He can fight for policy change all he wants. If HE says he believes what HE is doing is wrong then HE shouldnt need the government to FORCE him to do the right thing. You defend it because you want the rich to be taxed more. Doesnt make him NOT a hypocrite.
    Of course I defend him because I think the rich should pay more in taxes. You're attacking him because you don't think the rich should pay taxes.

    I wish you had this argument when Bush and Co. and conservatives were pushing for war in Iraq. "If you want war in Iraq, take a gun and go over there". Accomplishes nothing but apparently is the only way to meet your level of purity in order to have a view on public policy.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  6. #166
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    You left off one of your tap dancing shoes...its just making an ugly racket...you should just stop and say..."huh...OK...that didnt sound very smart...you are right. OK...THIS is what I mean..."

    Buffet isnt claiming he would be bankrupt, nor would his company be bankrupt. He is stating he can EASILY afford to be taxed more and SHOULD be taxed more..and if that is what he truly believes then he should already be LIVING it. Otherwise and definitely...he is a hypocrite. More so because he could so easily afford what he claims he believes.
    I agree he isn't communicating his message in a good way, but the reality is he sees the current system as wrong, and he wants to do right, but there are a lot of people, not necessarily him, who would be put at a terrible disadvantage if they simply ponied up more taxes even though they may feel it is the right thing to do. Everyone needs to be held to the same standard so as to neutralize the competitive advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  7. #167
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    ..and if that is what he truly believes then he should already be LIVING it. Otherwise and definitely...he is a hypocrite. More so because he could so easily afford what he claims he believes.
    This. Words are meaningless. Actions are everything. Saying, "It should be different, but I'm going to take advantage of every legal opportunity to pay less taxes until it changes," is what he should have said. Because that's what he's living. What's legal and what's ethical are two very different kettles.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  8. #168
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    This. Words are meaningless. Actions are everything. Saying, "It should be different, but I'm going to take advantage of every legal opportunity to pay less taxes until it changes," is what he should have said. Because that's what he's living. What's legal and what's ethical are two very different kettles.
    Or maybe he is saying, "Look what I can do America, is this fair?"

    Do you really want to make this into an argument of ethics? During a time when many CEOs and corporations are paying less taxes than me or you? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  9. #169
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,730

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I agree he isn't communicating his message in a good way, but the reality is he sees the current system as wrong, and he wants to do right, but there are a lot of people, not necessarily him, who would be put at a terrible disadvantage if they simply ponied up more taxes even though they may feel it is the right thing to do. Everyone needs to be held to the same standard so as to neutralize the competitive advantage.
    And Im FINE with an honest disagreement about taxes. I have said on this site NUMEROUS times that if I was president or king I would ABSOLUTELY tax the rich at a higher rate to pay down the debt in a guaranteed and structured manner and ensure that once the debt was paid down the tax increases would be eliminated permanently. Not because it is the 'right' thing to do or because it is 'fair' but because without paying down the debt and reducing federal spending an individuals wealth is going to be irrelevant. When the country is bankrupt none of this will matter.

    None of that changes the reality that Buffet is selectively lying about his taxes as compared to his secretary or that he can very easily do what he claims is 'right'. He is a hypocrite simply ebcause even though he CAN do what he claims is right he DOESNT.

  10. #170
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    re: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Owes Taxes Going Back To 2002 [edited]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    He is a hypocrite simply ebcause even though he CAN do what he claims is right he DOESNT.
    His behavior conforms perfectly with his moral stance.

    He believes that the law should change so that corporations are paying a fair tax rate.

    Nothing in that moral stance obligates him to pay a fair tax rate if not anybody else is doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •