Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 208

Thread: Police beat war veterans in assault on Occupy Boston

  1. #111
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Police beat war veterans in assault on Occupy Boston

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I think that's an important point. From what I've seen of the negative responses to you, justabubba and others' comments, the common sentiment seems to be "it's the law, just follow it" which rests on the implication that the law is just and reasonable. However, what none of these responses take into account is the spirit of the law and purposes that they serve. What many government officials advertise as laws made for "safety concerns" are simply laws made so that protests don't attract attention, get noticed and have a real impact.

    "It's the law" has never been and never will be a sufficient response to criticisms of the laws themselves.
    Cool....

    So you support a cordon of all the protestors standing on the new sod and demanding they pay a tax or go to jail for damage to property then?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  2. #112
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Police beat war veterans in assault on Occupy Boston

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Back in the day, being arrested was like a badge of courage for our convictions.
    So why isn't it anymore? Apparently now, if you get arrested, it means your convictions are invalid.* What changed?

    *= Not saying you made this point, just that it has been made. It has even been made several times in this thread.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  3. #113
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,990

    Re: Police beat war veterans in assault on Occupy Boston

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    It's common respect and courtesy to stay off the newly placed sod. Laws be damned. Have some respect.
    So now the dirty hippies cant peacably assemble because the moon is scary and the grass is green.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  4. #114
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Last Seen
    07-07-12 @ 09:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Police beat war veterans in assault on Occupy Boston

    Is it only me or do others find it hysterical some of posters are implying Boston isn't open to lunatic leftwing causes?
    I love the smell of burning moonbat in the morning.

  5. #115
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Police beat war veterans in assault on Occupy Boston

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Cool....

    So you support a cordon of all the protestors standing on the new sod and demanding they pay a tax or go to jail for damage to property then?
    I neither support nor condemn them. As I said, Ikari's point was important and valid response to the "it's the law" criticisms.

  6. #116
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Police beat war veterans in assault on Occupy Boston

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I neither support nor condemn them. As I said, Ikari's point was important and valid response to the "it's the law" criticisms.
    Cool......

    So, As my symbol of expression and protest of the use of Motor Vehicles instead if bicycles, I shall "peacefully" key your car.

    Glad to know that "Its the law" can't stop my "peaceful" expression of damaging property.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #117
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Police beat war veterans in assault on Occupy Boston

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Cool......

    So, As my symbol of expression and protest of the use of Motor Vehicles instead if bicycles, I shall "peacefully" key your car.

    Glad to know that "Its the law" can't stop my "peaceful" expression of damaging property.
    "It's the law" would not be a legitimate argument against you keying my car either.

  8. #118
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Police beat war veterans in assault on Occupy Boston

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    "It's the law" would not be a legitimate argument against you keying my car either.
    However, property rights would be. Which I think the point of the contention is (yours and mine), and one that it seems is being blown out of proportion to make an absurd claim like "we're ok with property damage". What's being said isn't that the law in general doesn't matter, or that one has proper power to damage another's property. But rather "it's the law" in and of itself is not sufficient justification for the law itself. "Why can't I stand there?" "Cause it's the law!" is not full and proper justification to why I cannot stand there. "Why can't I stand there" "Because your act of standing there is causing significant property damage" is a better justification (assuming, of course, that it is true that standing there is causing significant property damage).

    One day, perhaps we will have a debate without engaging in gross hyperbole. One day.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #119
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Police beat war veterans in assault on Occupy Boston

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    So..... if someone is of a certain age they are allowed to take certain aggressive actions?
    Police are prohibited from using excessive force. They are required to calibrate their use of force to the level of the threat. It's the law

    But most people know that the police are unlikely to obey the law
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #120
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Police beat war veterans in assault on Occupy Boston

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    People do not have a right to not be inconvienced, so long as they are not harmed, so that invalidates most of your argument, especially if the demonstration is in a public space such as a park or a street.
    I would suggest that if the police ask multiple times not to do something and you still do it, you will be inconvenienced. And just so I'm clear... (your double negative - so I'm assuming you mean "People have have the right to not be inconvenienced"), and where is that right written again?


    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Also, there is no evidence to show that anyone has been harmed or had their safety compromised by this demonstration.
    Since we only have a clip of what occurred, you don't really know that.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •