Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 55

Thread: Steve Jobs just died

  1. #31
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverOprah
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,527

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Well......While Denmark is a small country, its impact on the "net" is considerable to its size.

    Ever heard of Bjarne Stroustrup? Well he invented C++... and you cant say that is not important to not only the web but the computer.
    How about Rasmus Lerdorf? Heard of PHP?

    As for the "internet"... yes the US built it. But not only did the computer come from Europe (Germany and the UK), but the guy that made the Internet user friendly, aka WWW is a Brit.

    All of these people have had far bigger impact on computers, the net and phones than Steve Jobs ever had..
    The point was for you to stop your bitching about American ingenuity. We all know how you feel about America, but don't distort the facts. On the topic of invention and ingenuity, the US is the elephant in the room. There is no denying it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #32
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    Quote Originally Posted by Opteron View Post
    Well then we should treat it like it is. He was an enterprising capitalist and we were the consumer. We shouldn't make it out to be more than it is. He chose to make products in China and should be treated like other business men and CEO's, I don't know why we are glorifying him and vilifying other CEO's who outsource.

    Steve Jobs certainly impacted the world because he made products that millions used, but did he change the world or make it better?, I don't think there's much support for that argument. Did he contribute to charity, did he make the lives of the Chinese workers better? not really. He did make lots of popular innovative products and he should be respected for that, but I don't see how the glorifying of him is warranted.
    I fully agree with you giving our jobs to Chinese is bad however, FOXCONN the company that produces several electronic devices for companies in mass has had some help from Apple recently when a string of suicides occurred, and the workers were treated better. Apple is also in the process of slowly moving much of manufacturing from FOXCONN China to FOXCONN Brazil where workers are treated considerably better. Not to mention most components for Apple's computers come from Japan, South Korea, Texas, Canada, and so on.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  3. #33
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,946
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    The point was for you to stop your bitching about American ingenuity. We all know how you feel about America, but don't distort the facts. On the topic of invention and ingenuity, the US is the elephant in the room. There is no denying it.
    Yep. Pete's mission in life is to prove that America is irrelevant. That **** sure gets old, doesn't it?

  4. #34
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    The point was for you to stop your bitching about American ingenuity. We all know how you feel about America, but don't distort the facts. On the topic of invention and ingenuity, the US is the elephant in the room. There is no denying it.
    Not lately. We do not invent **** anymore. Where is our Hadron Collider? Where is our updated transportation system? Japan has had phones that could stream movies for years (long before the iPhone ever came out). What are we, dead last in renewable energy sources? What are we, dead first in oil consumption per capita? NYSE is no longer american. Budweiser is no longer American.

    Well, we may have created the ShamWow and the Slap Chop.

  5. #35
    Educator Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    10-24-11 @ 01:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    987

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    All the stuff consumers all over the world want is invented in America.

    Superpowers use oil.

  6. #36
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    All the stuff consumers all over the world want is invented in America.

    Superpowers use oil.
    Wow, great point. Good job using information and facts to back up your argument. What do they use that we invented recently? The only thing I can think of is the Internet - which was mostly thought up by Americans.
    Last edited by whysoserious; 10-18-11 at 06:25 PM.

  7. #37
    Educator Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    10-24-11 @ 01:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    987

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    There is no demand for alternative energy in the world, except among backward governments. If the Japanese phone that could stream video was any good, Americans would have demanded it, like they demanded Toyotas.

  8. #38
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    There is no demand for alternative energy in the world, except among backward governments. If the Japanese phone that could stream video was any good, Americans would have demanded it, like they demanded Toyotas.
    So I can assume you are just making stuff up as you go? You cannot just bring a phone over and say, "Oh sweet, check out this phone!". Infrastructure also has to be built to provide the service. Yeah, it's great to have a phone that can stream video, but who cares if you cannot use it? And there is no demand for alternative energy in the world? Have you seen how many nuclear plants have been built throughout Europe and China. China produces far more than we do, and they use far less oil, by the way, so I am not sure how you can justify your statements.
    Last edited by whysoserious; 10-18-11 at 06:29 PM.

  9. #39
    Educator Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    10-24-11 @ 01:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    987

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    Government didn't build 3g and 4g networks in this country. When the ROI was such that consumers would pay for it, those networks were built privately. Now carriers are at war with each other to aquire their competitors who have them.

    That system works.

  10. #40
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Government didn't build 3g and 4g networks in this country. When the ROI was such that consumers would pay for it, those networks were built privately. Now carriers are at war with each other to aquire their competitors who have them.

    That system works.
    How does that change the fact that it took more years? I do not believe I ever argued that point. And do not say "the demand wasn't there". The infrastructure wasn't there and the wireless companies, being the oligarchy that they are, knew they did not need to upgrade immediately.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •