Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 55

Thread: Steve Jobs just died

  1. #21
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Holy crap. The guy was a visonary, whose brilliance literally changed the world we live in... and people are looking for reasons to crap on him after he died, because his company... like just about every other manufacturing company in this country... has his tech assembled in China.

    Some of you have serious issues if you have to dredge up reasons to insult and talk **** about the accomplishments of someone who has just died. Damn. Just... damn.
    Let's see, Denmark invented the ....er uh Internet? No, how about the World Wide Web, uh NOT!! Well how about the PC? Nope......
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #22
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    Forcing children to work in unsanitary conditions for minimal pay so Jobs could become more wealthy isn't the sign of a very decent person, if you ask me.

    Whenever I found out about the child labor in China I vowed not to buy another apple product. And that was years before Jobs died. I am sorry now that I even bought the ipod touch 2G. I didn't know about it back then.

    The man was brilliant and way ahead of his time, but he was also an asshole.
    So let me see if I get this straight; you buy all your clothes from American Apparel and all your home furnishings from the Amish? All your electronics came from where???? That is actually a really stupid reason to not like a product because honestly, you buy more stuff made from Chinese kids than you think. Ever shop at Wal-Mart? Are you typing on a computer or just writing stuff with pencil and paper and mailing it to some guy to type it for you?
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  3. #23
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    Hardly "his company".. There were 2 others, plus a buttload of rich investors.. you know Spielberg..
    Pixar started out as a side project at Lucasfilms. When bought by Steve Jobs he wanted them to make computers to help with animation, later he helped bring Pixar films and brokerage deals to get them out there and not go Disney's route of making crappy straight to video. Thanks to his company Pixar, Disney and animation as a whole went through a reniassance in the past 15 years.

    LOL now you seriously stretching it. Yes the first web server ran on NeXT computer, but it was quickly ported to other UNIX systems... and has never looked back. Guess they found the NeXT system not good enough...Even today there is limited web server functionality in the NeXT OS of today... OSX.
    Quoting the inventor of the WWW Tim Berners-Lee:

    "I wrote the program using a NeXT computer. This had the advantage that there were some great tools available -it was a great computing environment in general. In fact, I could do in a couple of months what would take more like a year on other platforms, because on the NeXT, a lot of it was done for me already. There was an application builder to make all the menus as quickly as you could dream them up. there were all the software parts to make a wysiwyg (what you see is what you get - in other words direct manipulation of text on screen as on the printed - or browsed page) word processor. I just had to add hypertext, (by subclassing the Text object)"

    Well... mouse I can give, but "modern PC".. sorry but that is also a stretch. Remember Apple never had any great influence on the PC market and its marketshare is at record levels today.. still way under 10% world wide.
    At the time, no other computer (other than those in research labs and horribly pieced together) featured a GUI. At the time of Apple Lisa and later Mac was created very few developers had access to develop programs. One of those developers was Microsoft which was developing there first graphical Excel program. While being one of the few developers with direct access to Mac, Microsoft quickly developed and began selling an early version of Windows in Japan--the same year as Mac came out and the rest is history...

    Eh how? By opening expensive retail stores to sell expensive products? Gucci and other luxury product makers have been doing that for decades.
    Apple retail stores are now what the blue print many other companies use for their stores, or redesigned stores--many use the same planners previously hired by Apple (Microsoft, Sony, Disney, Best Buy, Old Navy, Bed Bath & Beyond, Pottery Barn, Abercrombie & Fitch, Macy's)

    How so? Yes his original Mac "Changed" the industry by moving over to a graphical OS from a text based OS, but the Mac was hardly a success. What else did he change in the computer industry? The Apple 2?
    Recent years, with the all-in-one PC, and has formed what PC companies will and wont put into computers. Apple was the first to get rid of the 3.5 diskette, one of the first to adapt USB, put cameras in monitors, backlit keyboards, most recently with Intel have designed the Thunderbolt I/O and have made the modern ultra-thin notebook something Intel is pushing along with several PC vendors. Not to mention, Apple has formed the modern smartphone and tablet market which someday the majority of people will likely use one or the other over a PC anyways. You misunderstand what Im saying about tablets and phones. RIM is a shell of what it once was. They will never catch up. They are going the way of Palm in 5 years tops. Apple is the reason why. Apple is the reason why Android looks the way it does (originally planned to look similiar to Blackberry), tablets same thing. Bill Gates had a lot of things right; he has even predicted as recently as 2007 that tablets will be the future and guess what? Jobs and Gates ran/run companies that you directly or indirectly depend on so you will come around eventually, as the tech gets better and does neater things it will be more apparent how there are more advantages to them than disadvantages over a pC.

    LOL seriously? How can a product that no one bought popularize anything? iMac came out just after the USB standard hit the market.. in fact Steve Jobs was far more in favour of Firewire... another Apple flop, than USB.. and still is.. since he backed Thunderbolt over USB 3.0.. and has so far utterly failed yet again.

    As for CD-R... again bull****.
    Wrong again. Apple is the first company to offer USB only for peripheral connections when it was first introduced. Besides the iMac being very popular, first computer anyone offered without a diskette drive, it is what drove Apple out of the brink and also brought on the trend of (love or hate it) companies using translucent colored plastics in their products. Thunderbolt came out this year how can you say it failed already?


    Newton flopped and almost cost him the company. And no on the spun off from Apple and become Palm part. Yes it was spun off into the Newton INC, a whole owned subsidiary of Apple. Then Jobs was fired and the Newton INC company was pulled back into Apple and the whole thing cancelled.
    Since I can tell you didn't actually know this and just googled something and didn't actually read it I will leave it at that. Also yes, once Jobs came back to Apple several from Apple left to form the Palm division at US Robotics including Palms eventual CEO.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  4. #24
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    01-17-15 @ 02:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    629

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    So let me see if I get this straight; you buy all your clothes from American Apparel and all your home furnishings from the Amish? All your electronics came from where???? That is actually a really stupid reason to not like a product because honestly, you buy more stuff made from Chinese kids than you think. Ever shop at Wal-Mart? Are you typing on a computer or just writing stuff with pencil and paper and mailing it to some guy to type it for you?
    Well then we should treat it like it is. He was an enterprising capitalist and we were the consumer. We shouldn't make it out to be more than it is. He chose to make products in China and should be treated like other business men and CEO's, I don't know why we are glorifying him and vilifying other CEO's who outsource.

    Steve Jobs certainly impacted the world because he made products that millions used, but did he change the world or make it better?, I don't think there's much support for that argument. Did he contribute to charity, did he make the lives of the Chinese workers better? not really. He did make lots of popular innovative products and he should be respected for that, but I don't see how the glorifying of him is warranted.

  5. #25
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Let's see, Denmark invented the ....er uh Internet? No, how about the World Wide Web, uh NOT!! Well how about the PC? Nope......
    Here is a picture of the very first computer to ever act as a WWW server.

    640px-First_Web_Server.jpg

    It seems worth mentioning this, and making reference to which individual was most responsible for bringing this computer into the world.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  6. #26
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Here is a picture of the very first computer to ever act as a WWW server.

    640px-First_Web_Server.jpg

    It seems worth mentioning this, and making reference to which individual was most responsible for bringing this computer into the world.
    I had an email exchange with Sir Tim Berners-Lee once.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #27
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Let's see, Denmark invented the ....er uh Internet? No, how about the World Wide Web, uh NOT!! Well how about the PC? Nope......
    Well......While Denmark is a small country, its impact on the "net" is considerable to its size.

    Ever heard of Bjarne Stroustrup? Well he invented C++... and you cant say that is not important to not only the web but the computer.
    How about Rasmus Lerdorf? Heard of PHP?

    As for the "internet"... yes the US built it. But not only did the computer come from Europe (Germany and the UK), but the guy that made the Internet user friendly, aka WWW is a Brit.

    All of these people have had far bigger impact on computers, the net and phones than Steve Jobs ever had..
    PeteEU

  8. #28
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    Pixar started out as a side project at Lucasfilms. When bought by Steve Jobs he wanted them to make computers to help with animation, later he helped bring Pixar films and brokerage deals to get them out there and not go Disney's route of making crappy straight to video. Thanks to his company Pixar, Disney and animation as a whole went through a reniassance in the past 15 years.
    Again there were others.. it was not "his company".

    Quoting the inventor of the WWW Tim Berners-Lee:

    "I wrote the program using a NeXT computer. This had the advantage that there were some great tools available -it was a great computing environment in general. In fact, I could do in a couple of months what would take more like a year on other platforms, because on the NeXT, a lot of it was done for me already. There was an application builder to make all the menus as quickly as you could dream them up. there were all the software parts to make a wysiwyg (what you see is what you get - in other words direct manipulation of text on screen as on the printed - or browsed page) word processor. I just had to add hypertext, (by subclassing the Text object)"
    Yes, and yet where is it today? What runs the WWW... NeXT or Linux/Unix/Microsoft? Point is, he might have used a NeXT computer to lay down the ground works of WWW, but it was no soon after they started porting the whole thing over to Unix and later Linux.

    At the time, no other computer (other than those in research labs and horribly pieced together) featured a GUI. At the time of Apple Lisa and later Mac was created very few developers had access to develop programs. One of those developers was Microsoft which was developing there first graphical Excel program. While being one of the few developers with direct access to Mac, Microsoft quickly developed and began selling an early version of Windows in Japan--the same year as Mac came out and the rest is history...
    And as I said.. Macs did NOT SELL. I dont care how revolutionary the Mac was at the time, but it simply did not sell. Apple and Steve Jobs were their own worst enemy by not allowing 3rd parties to use the OS and not allowing other manufactures of Macs. It doomed the project long before it started simply because Apple was not as popular as Steve Jobs thought it was. Microsoft was the one that not only made an UI based system but also sold it and spread it to 90+% of the worlds PCs. That is an achievement, not being "first".

    Apple retail stores are now what the blue print many other companies use for their stores, or redesigned stores--many use the same planners previously hired by Apple (Microsoft, Sony, Disney, Best Buy, Old Navy, Bed Bath & Beyond, Pottery Barn, Abercrombie & Fitch, Macy's)
    Talk about being delusional. Do you really expect us to believe the Apple myth that Jobs invented the idea of a company store? Funny.. I remember going into stores of companies back long before Apple even existed.

    Recent years, with the all-in-one PC, and has formed what PC companies will and wont put into computers. Apple was the first to get rid of the 3.5 diskette, one of the first to adapt USB, put cameras in monitors, backlit keyboards, most recently with Intel have designed the Thunderbolt I/O and have made the modern ultra-thin notebook something Intel is pushing along with several PC vendors. Not to mention, Apple has formed the modern smartphone and tablet market which someday the majority of people will likely use one or the other over a PC anyways. You misunderstand what Im saying about tablets and phones. RIM is a shell of what it once was. They will never catch up. They are going the way of Palm in 5 years tops. Apple is the reason why. Apple is the reason why Android looks the way it does (originally planned to look similiar to Blackberry), tablets same thing. Bill Gates had a lot of things right; he has even predicted as recently as 2007 that tablets will be the future and guess what? Jobs and Gates ran/run companies that you directly or indirectly depend on so you will come around eventually, as the tech gets better and does neater things it will be more apparent how there are more advantages to them than disadvantages over a pC.
    Seriously.. The disc drive was doomed for a long time but was kept in place because of external factors. Most drivers for printers and so on until relatively recently came on... floppy discs. That was one of the main reasons that the floppy disc drive was kept in service for a long time.

    Only one selling all in one PCs.. is Apple. Will that change.. maybe, but at the moment they are not popular mostly because of price.

    Camera's in monitors.. hmm few monitors have camera's in them.. just saying.

    RIM is still huge outside the US. In fact RIM is outselling Apple in India. Like it or not, a lot of people like a physical keyboard on their phone. Can RIM recover to the glory days of owning the smartphone market... no, but they are hardly dead yet.

    Wrong again. Apple is the first company to offer USB only for peripheral connections when it was first introduced. Besides the iMac being very popular, first computer anyone offered without a diskette drive, it is what drove Apple out of the brink and also brought on the trend of (love or hate it) companies using translucent colored plastics in their products.
    USB 1.0 introduced late 1998... Apple introduce the iMac 1999... so.. DUH! the iMac was probably one of the first new PCs since the introduction.. so big wupti. It does not change the fact that USB did not become popular before it hit the windows PC. And the iMac was not popular HAHAH.. sorry but having so little of the market share means you are unpopular. Apple also tried to kill off USB by promoting Firewire... and how did that exactly go?

    Thunderbolt came out this year how can you say it failed already?
    Lack of adoption by motherboard manufactures. Cost of the cable (50 bucks for a ****ing meter of cable.. what the hell?). Lack of things that can use Thunderbolt... where are the printers, disc drives and other things... not made by Apple that is..

    Thunderbolt was DOA and intel knows it. That is why they are now implementing USB 3.0 in their chipsets.. Even Apple is being forced by user outrage to add USB 3.0 to its products starting next year. USB 3.0 is backward compatible and can be used instantly by people with their old gear and .... big drum roll..... motherboard manufactures and others are actually adapting the standard hand over fist.

    Since I can tell you didn't actually know this and just googled something and didn't actually read it I will leave it at that. Also yes, once Jobs came back to Apple several from Apple left to form the Palm division at US Robotics including Palms eventual CEO.
    But that is not what you said... you said it was a spin-off from Apple. People leaving Apple to form a new company is not a freaking spin off. You were in error.
    PeteEU

  9. #29
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    Forcing children to work in unsanitary conditions for minimal pay so Jobs could become more wealthy isn't the sign of a very decent person, if you ask me.

    Whenever I found out about the child labor in China I vowed not to buy another apple product. And that was years before Jobs died. I am sorry now that I even bought the ipod touch 2G. I didn't know about it back then.

    The man was brilliant and way ahead of his time, but he was also an asshole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I hope you turn off your computer. Odds are, the companies that manufacture the parts inside of that thing, were connected to the same factories.

    You support exploitation of poorer countries. Now, visit your priest to confess your sins.
    Foxcon is most likely a horrible place to work with long long hours and living in dorms for the workers, but they do not employe child labour in their factories.

    Last but not least the value of the Chinese contribution to Apple products is rather small, most componets are not made in China and generally the most valuable value that China has to add to the manufacture is the final assembly of the components.
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  10. #30
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Steve Jobs just died

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Foxcon is most likely a horrible place to work with long long hours and living in dorms for the workers, but they do not employe child labour in their factories.

    Last but not least the value of the Chinese contribution to Apple products is rather small, most componets are not made in China and generally the most valuable value that China has to add to the manufacture is the final assembly of the components.
    Sorry but that is incorrect... Fist off it is Foxconn.

    Secondly Foxconn is the world leading supplier in "bits" that every single computer manufacture uses. Hence the actual contribution by Foxconn is underestimated. Take LG IPS screens in Apple products... made by LG right? Yes, but Foxconn most likely delivers many of the bits and bobs on various boards and chips in the screen that make it work. Another example.. ASUS motherboards, or Gigabyte.. yes Foxconn delivers a huge portion of what makes them what they are.

    The difference is that in Apple's case, it is Foxconn that puts the damn things together, where as in most other cases it is the company (LG, Samsung and so on) themselves that put their products together with lots of Foxconn components in them.
    PeteEU

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •