Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Experts fear listeria may be moving into produce

  1. #21
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,961
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Experts fear listeria may be moving into produce

    Many, many vegetables, fruits and grains are grown in an environment where they are literally exposed to hours of thermonuclear radiation everyday.
    I may be wrong.

  2. #22
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Experts fear listeria may be moving into produce

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    I don't know about canned products. It seems to me that the canning process itself would kill any pathogenic bacteria so there would be no need for irradiation. However it is common practice nowadays to irradiate many fresh foods. There has been many studies done that show that irradiation doesn't significantly affect the nutritional content of foods. The one exception is thiamine (vitamin B1) and that is not affected enough to cause a deficiency.

    FYI



    Any food that has this symbol on the packaging has been irradiated.

    Attachment 67116316


    Check post *13 I posted an entire article on it...

  3. #23
    200M yrs of experience
    Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southeastern USA
    Last Seen
    05-07-12 @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,166

    Re: Experts fear listeria may be moving into produce

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Your link's from 1999. Are there any legit studies since then?
    Good catch. I rejected several more recent links because they were skewed to one side or other on this issue. I'll see if I can find some recent studies regardless of their position on GM foods.

  4. #24
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Experts fear listeria may be moving into produce

    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Good catch. I rejected several more recent links because they were skewed to one side or other on this issue. I'll see if I can find some recent studies regardless of their position on GM foods.

    I searched FD and I couldnt find a single article dated later than 2009...it seemed like it stopped dead there...strange

  5. #25
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Experts fear listeria may be moving into produce

    You can't make everything 100% safe 100% of the time - so many opportunities for bacteria and so on to fester and infect from the way to the field to the table. But I do take necessary cautions - now that it's a listeria outbreak I'm not *stopping* out food consumption - I'm just ensuring everything is cooked fully and cleaned well (fruits/veggies - and cookware/storage areas).

    If something is hard to make safe with cleaning/cooking (like cantaloupe) - then I just avoid that and eat something else for a while - honeydew mellons are far easier to clean. However - they can't be cooked so we're sticking to fruits that can be cooked as an alternative. Since it's starting to get cold outside it's working out fine.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #26
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Experts fear listeria may be moving into produce

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Irradiating food? You've got to be kidding me. That would just kill anything nutritious in it. If you enjoy eating dead food then be my guest. Our food is already crap in this country, might as well add some spent plutonium to the mix. Honestly.

    How about we actually enforce inspection laws on production plants, something that is currently lacking? The industrial food industry makes shortcuts galore and abuses antibiotics, and when the public gets sick from superbugs the government AND food industry acts like the reasons are isolated.

    The problems are systemic. Profits take the priority to human health.
    Irradiating food ≠ adding plutonium to food.
    There is a natural level of radiation around you.
    Hell it's already been pointed out that the radiation used is less than the amount given off by the sun, that you absorb every day.

    Irradiation is used to cover the shortfalls of inspection, because humans are prone to make errors.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #27
    200M yrs of experience
    Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southeastern USA
    Last Seen
    05-07-12 @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,166

    Re: Experts fear listeria may be moving into produce

    Monsanto GMOs Linked To Organ Failure.m4v - YouTube - this is about a type of corn only, but it goes into how Monsanto marketed a product they knew was not safe and withheld info from the FDA and it equivalents in other countries. It came out after a whistle-blower sent a secret internal report to the media.

    Glyphosate-Based Herbicides Produce Teratogenic Effects on Vertebrates by Impairing Retinoic Acid Signaling - Chemical Research in Toxicology (ACS Publications) - A true research study that shows detriment to humans and animals from increased exposure to Round Up and herbicides in the same category.

    This is frankly quite frightening. I could not locate a single study done since since 2005 that states that GM are safe. I saw multiple reports of people doing the research being told that adverse research findings would not be published in the US. The three areas of concern seem to be:

    (1) the GM plant is altered to produce toxins to deter insects. Some of these toxins were already know to be toxic to humans and others have been found to be detrimental to humans and livestock as well (cause birth defects, cancer, sterility and loss of pregnancy, disturbances in endocrine and immune system function). Unlike externally applied pesticides, these cannot be withheld for a period before the food is harvested as the plant itself has been modified to make its own pesticide(s).

    (2) the toxins above also seem to kill off bacteria than normally would kill off harmful viruses and bacteria that can invade foods - including the topic of this thread

    (3) The plants are resistant to glyphosate-based herbicides like Round-up. This means growers use the herbicide instead of manual weeding which results in foods coming to market with higher concentrations of the herbicide residue. The increased residue has been shown to cause endocrine problems, loss of weight and failure to thrive in the young and old and seems to raise the risk for cancer
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 10-02-11 at 05:38 PM. Reason: typo

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Experts fear listeria may be moving into produce

    A couple of years ago I had a small cut on my finger. First the tip swelled up then the next morning it was black and swollen clear to the knuckle. I went to minor emergency and you’d of thought I had the plague, people were running all around in a panic. I can’t recall the name but it was drug resistant flesh eating bacteria that can kill you. I had to fill out a long form detailing where I had been for the last 2 weeks. They gave me some antibiotic that is basically held in reserve for this stuff and thankfully it worked. Very scary though and I feel it’s just a matter of time until this last resort anti biotic doesn’t work. Excrement may be about to hit the fan.

  9. #29
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Experts fear listeria may be moving into produce

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    You can't make everything 100% safe 100% of the time - so many opportunities for bacteria and so on to fester and infect from the way to the field to the table. But I do take necessary cautions - now that it's a listeria outbreak I'm not *stopping* out food consumption - I'm just ensuring everything is cooked fully and cleaned well (fruits/veggies - and cookware/storage areas).

    If something is hard to make safe with cleaning/cooking (like cantaloupe) - then I just avoid that and eat something else for a while - honeydew mellons are far easier to clean. However - they can't be cooked so we're sticking to fruits that can be cooked as an alternative. Since it's starting to get cold outside it's working out fine.
    Yup auntie the Name of the game is minimize the risk as much as possible

  10. #30
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Experts fear listeria may be moving into produce

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    A couple of years ago I had a small cut on my finger. First the tip swelled up then the next morning it was black and swollen clear to the knuckle. I went to minor emergency and you’d of thought I had the plague, people were running all around in a panic. I can’t recall the name but it was drug resistant flesh eating bacteria that can kill you. I had to fill out a long form detailing where I had been for the last 2 weeks. They gave me some antibiotic that is basically held in reserve for this stuff and thankfully it worked. Very scary though and I feel it’s just a matter of time until this last resort anti biotic doesn’t work. Excrement may be about to hit the fan.
    umm let me see if I get this right...was it Streptococus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •