Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 81

Thread: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

  1. #41
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    Quote Originally Posted by Antiderivative View Post
    The longest war in history is not a quagmire? What exactly is this "Libbo play" that is dragging on this war? Didn't Bush and his neocon buddies have plenty of time to end this war. After all, they declared Mission Accomplish in 2003 after their cute dog and pony show on the USS Abraham Lincoln. Then six years later, Bush and Pals were still at war. However, you claim that it is because of this "Libbo play".

    While liberal foreign policy is atrocious since it is replica of neocon foreign policy, I don't understand how liberals are 100% responsible for these quagmires.
    Longest war in history? What history book you been reading?

    The reason Libbos are responsible, is because they act as a propaganda machine for the enemy, just like during Vietnam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #42
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,023

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    Innocent of what? They were armed men in combat zone near a locations where it was reported that ground forces came under fire. The Apaches were called in for air cover. Perhaps you should re-watch the video, its quite clear that the men the reporters with were armed. And its pretty easy to see how a camera with a telephoto lens can be easily mistaken for an RPG when viewed through the FLIR display.
    Just because a person has a gun doesn't mean they are an imminent threat. Shots fired by victims. Zero. Shots fired by Occupying forces. Enough to kill all the adults. How do you feel about american private security firms guarding people with fully automatics?

    I haven't watched the video since it debuted. I remember it looking like 1 guy maybe had a gun. Or maybe some odd thing with a shoulder strap.

    It doesn't change the fact that the trigger puller still knowingly fired on people that had no weapons shown and posed zero threat. This demonstrates he is willing to fire on innocent threatless people because of his "targeting laws". The video clearly shows people without weapons getting fired on by this gunship. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  3. #43
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    Just because a person has a gun doesn't mean they are an imminent threat. Shots fired by victims. Zero. Shots fired by Occupying forces. Enough to kill all the adults. How do you feel about american private security firms guarding people with fully automatics?

    I haven't watched the video since it debuted. I remember it looking like 1 guy maybe had a gun. Or maybe some odd thing with a shoulder strap.

    It doesn't change the fact that the trigger puller still knowingly fired on people that had no weapons shown and posed zero threat. This demonstrates he is willing to fire on innocent threatless people because of his "targeting laws". The video clearly shows people without weapons getting fired on by this gunship. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
    On a battlefield, you don't wait to get shot at. It's totally ignorant to suggest that we should force our soldiers to follow such rules of engagement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #44
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If it's not a crime, yes.
    Explain to me how this is not a crime....



    Or tell me how a lot of other gov "crimes" Wikileaks has uncovered, tell me how that is at all a bad thing?


  5. #45
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    Just because a person has a gun doesn't mean they are an imminent threat. Shots fired by victims. Zero. Shots fired by Occupying forces. Enough to kill all the adults. How do you feel about american private security firms guarding people with fully automatics?

    I haven't watched the video since it debuted. I remember it looking like 1 guy maybe had a gun. Or maybe some odd thing with a shoulder strap.

    It doesn't change the fact that the trigger puller still knowingly fired on people that had no weapons shown and posed zero threat. This demonstrates he is willing to fire on innocent threatless people because of his "targeting laws". The video clearly shows people without weapons getting fired on by this gunship. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
    Guess you're kind of confused. You appear to be applying standard law enforcement use of force protocols with with combat rules of engagement. They're very different and with combat ROEs, you don't have to wait to be shot at to engage.

    Perhaps you should watch the video again. With the exception of the camera men (again, their equipment was mistaken for weapons which based solely on the video, is totally understandable) several of the men with them had AK-47s. The air support was called in at the request of ground forces nearby that had been attacked.

    Wanna know the real outrage here? WTF is Reuters doing letting their reporters embed with armed insurgents in a US controlled combat zone when said insurgents are a fully authorized target? Frankly, authorizing this is absolutely gross negligence on the part of Reuters as well as the two men who took the assignment.

    This like a local newspaper wanting to see what the deer's perspective is like by sending their reporters out dressed up in a deer suit on opening day of hunting season. Would it be a surprise if the reporter was shot by a hunter?

  6. #46
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I think Manning should be locked away for treason as its clear and unquestionable his actions were.
    The actual legal requirements for treason are either levying war on the United States, which Manning did not do, or adhering to the enemies of the United States, which Manning also did not do. The intent behind the act must be to assist with war efforts against the United States. Calling out leaders of the United States for committing crimes, even during war time, does not even come close to satisfying this requirement. Even the often mentioned "giving aid and comfort" standard is insufficient to qualify as a treasonous act. No actual US court of law could find Manning guilty of treason. His actions do not fall under the legal standard for treason in the US.

    Seriously, how are any of the "small government" types not in favor of watchdogs making sure the government can't overstep its bounds? Does it only matter when it comes to your bank account, but it's fine when governments are murdering people? It's fine if it's happening to someone else? There is nothing that Wikileaks has done that is any different from Carl Burnstein and Bob Woodward investigating Watergate. Is anyone now going to suggest that Nixon's crimes should not have been exposed?
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  7. #47
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Explain to me how this is not a crime....



    Or tell me how a lot of other gov "crimes" Wikileaks has uncovered, tell me how that is at all a bad thing?
    That is not a crime. And what other "crimes" has been uncovered by Wikileaks....specifically?

  8. #48
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Explain to me how this is not a crime....



    Or tell me how a lot of other gov "crimes" Wikileaks has uncovered, tell me how that is at all a bad thing?
    Prove some kind of intent on the part of the American personel. Prove that those men weren't the enemy. Prove they weren't armed--one of them is carrying what appears to be what looks like a squad machine gun. Give us the identification and credible back ground information on every person that was fired upon in that group and prove that they didn't have and never did have any kind of connection to any insurgent group operating in Iraq.

    You're all about due process, right? I'm not a lawyer--far from it--but if I was a jury member, those are the questions that I would want answered before I called these men guilty of a crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #49
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    551

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    They both deserve it more than Obama did. I still think it's ridiculous that he was given the award. And this is coming for someone who supported him in 2008 and will more than likely support him in 2012.

  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,453
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    Quote Originally Posted by Rough Rider View Post
    Manning should be shot as a traitor.
    The Pentagon Papers guy too?
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •