Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 81

Thread: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

  1. #31
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,008

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    This is bullcrap. They shouldn't get a Peace Prize for "exposing" things to the public. First of all, they have no idea if they have the whole story. Second of all, we have no idea if they got more of the story that painted things in a different light than what they released. And last, if they really felt something was being covered up, there are legal methods of going about this that do not include putting people in danger for their own selfish reasons.

    I don't know what was in the video or anything else from Wikileaks, since I am not allowed to view it. Of course, I also understand that even if I could view it, I'd probably not know what exactly was going on, nor would I likely have much info about before or after. If they did wrong, they deserve to be punished, but there are still other ways to go about exposing them that would have been a lot better than what was done.
    How do you know there are better sure fire ways to bring this to light? If the guy had to leak it, it must have been a last stitch, hail mary effort. So supposedly this pilot honestly thought that the camera was an RPG. Ok. Where is the footage of this camera and why hasnt the routers camera content been released? It may not provide much insight seeing as an apache would be a dot in the sky but It would have the conversations of the people under fire and more of their intent.

    I have a feeling the routers camera content will never be revealed. It would probably go to show these guys were innocent and therefore will never see the light of day.

    It boils down to how many shots did the victims fire? Zero. How many shots did occupying forces fire? Enough to kill all the adults. Turned out to be a reporter. Its obvious the pilot did something wrong. Its sad this had to be leaked the way it did just to have some chance at justice.
    Last edited by dirtpoorchris; 10-01-11 at 02:25 PM.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  2. #32
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    How do you know there are better sure fire ways to bring this to light? If the guy had to leak it, it must have been a last stitch, hail mary effort. So supposedly this pilot honestly thought that the camera was an RPG. Ok. Where is the footage of this camera and why hasnt the routers camera content been released? It may not provide much insight seeing as an apache would be a dot in the sky but It would have the conversations of the people under fire and more of their intent.

    I have a feeling the routers camera content will never be revealed. It would probably go to show these guys were innocent and therefore will never see the light of day.

    It boils down to how many shots did the victims fire? Zero. How many shots did occupying forces fire? Enough to kill all the adults. Turned out to be a reporter. Its obvious the pilot did something wrong. Its sad this had to be leaked the way it did just to have some chance at justice.
    The thing you could never prove--outside of fantasyland--is that there was an intent to intentionally kill non-combatants.

    Something else that has to be taken into consideration, is judging by the delay between the muzzle blast and the round impact, the gunship was orbiting about 1,200 yards away from the target. The reason they men were so relaxed looking, probably has alot to do with the gunship being over a mile away and they didn't have any idea they were being lazed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    02-23-12 @ 04:16 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    791

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    Exposing a war that was built off of lies and deceit is an admirable action, not one of treason. If anyone committed treason, it is the war-mongers who got us into this quagmire, killing over a 100,000 citizens and over 4,000 US Soldiers.

    As one of America's most famous "traitors", Daniel Ellsberg says, "I think what the Pentagon Papers showed with 7,000 pages was that there was a lack of any good reason for doing what we were doing," Ellsberg told CNN. "My strong expectation is these 92,000 pages will not convey any good reason for the dying and killing and the enormous money we're spending over there in a time we cannot afford it."

    ... "The possibility for the kind of transparency that is very good for democracy has been enhanced by this technology and by WikiLeaks' willingness to put out this kind of material."

    Ellsberg: 92,000 pages will not convey reason for Afghan war – Afghanistan Crossroads - CNN.com Blogs

    Ellsberg: From Vietnam to Afghanistan


    ...

  4. #34
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    It's not a quagmire, but the reason it's taking longer than the Libbo play says it should, is because there are so many Libbos that keep encouraging the enemy to hang on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #35
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post

    I have a feeling the routers camera content will never be revealed. It would probably go to show these guys were innocent and therefore will never see the light of day.

    It boils down to how many shots did the victims fire? Zero. How many shots did occupying forces fire? Enough to kill all the adults. Turned out to be a reporter. Its obvious the pilot did something wrong. Its sad this had to be leaked the way it did just to have some chance at justice.
    Innocent of what? They were armed men in combat zone near a locations where it was reported that ground forces came under fire. The Apaches were called in for air cover. Perhaps you should re-watch the video, its quite clear that the men the reporters with were armed. And its pretty easy to see how a camera with a telephoto lens can be easily mistaken for an RPG when viewed through the FLIR display.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    02-23-12 @ 04:16 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    791

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It's not a quagmire, but the reason it's taking longer than the Libbo play says it should, is because there are so many Libbos that keep encouraging the enemy to hang on.
    The longest war in history is not a quagmire? What exactly is this "Libbo play" that is dragging on this war? Didn't Bush and his neocon buddies have plenty of time to end this war. After all, they declared Mission Accomplish in 2003 after their cute dog and pony show on the USS Abraham Lincoln. Then six years later, Bush and Pals were still at war. However, you claim that it is because of this "Libbo play".

    While liberal foreign policy is atrocious since it is replica of neocon foreign policy, I don't understand how liberals are 100% responsible for these quagmires.

  7. #37
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Manning didn't access that information all by himself. I think they should hold his nuts to the fire and see how many of his accomplices he gives up.
    So a man the reports a war crime is a bad man?
    Your starting to sound like a fascist


  8. #38
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud South Korean View Post
    People who reveal valuable information to boost their own standing and reputation to endanger many people's lives are nothing but scum
    How has this endangered anyone's life?


  9. #39
    Sidewalk Inspector
    Utility Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,099

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize



    .......The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and to secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are cited to justify it. Even today, there is little value in opposing the threat of a closed society by imitating its arbitrary restrictions. Even today, there is little value in insuring the survival of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it. And there is very grave danger that an announced need for increased security will be seized upon by those anxious to expand its meaning to the very limits of official censorship and concealment. That I do not intend to permit to the extent that it is in my control. And no official of my Administration, whether his rank is high or low, civilian or military, should interpret my words here tonight as an excuse to censor the news, to stifle dissent, to cover up our mistakes or to withhold from the press and the public the facts they deserve to know...........

    No President should fear public scrutiny of his program. For from that scrutiny comes understanding; and from that understanding comes support or opposition. And both are necessary. I am not asking your newspapers to support the Administration, but I .am asking your help in the tremendous task of informing and alerting the American people. For I have complete confidence in the response and dedication of our citizens whenever they are fully informed.

    I not only could not stifle controversy among your readers--I welcome it. This Administration intends to be candid about its errors; for, as a wise man once said: "An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." We intend to accept full responsibility for our errors; and we expect you to point them out when we miss them.

    Without debate, without criticism, no Administration and no country can succeed-and no republic can survive. That is why the Athenian law-maker Solon decreed it a crime for any citizen to shrink from controversy. And that is why our press was protected by the First Amendment--the only business in America specifically protected by the Constitution--not primarily to amuse and entertain, not to emphasize the trivial and the sentimental, not to simply "give the public what it wants"--but to inform, to arouse, to reflect, to state our dangers and our opportunities, to indicate our crises and our choices, to lead, mold, educate and sometimes even anger public opinion..........

    It was early in the Seventeenth Century that Francis Bacon remarked on three recent inventions already transforming the world: the compass, gunpowder and the printing press. Now the links between the nations first forged by the compass have made us all citizens of the world, the hopes and threats of one becoming the hopes and threats of us all. In that one world's efforts to live together, the evolution of gunpowder to its ultimate limit has warned mankind of the terrible consequences of failure.

    And so it is to the printing press--to the recorder of man's deeds, the keeper of his conscience, the courier of his news--that we look for strength and assistance, confident that with your help man will be what he was born to be: free and independent.


    Read more at the American Presidency Project: John F. Kennedy: Address "The President and the Press" Before the American Newspaper Publishers Association, New York City. John F. Kennedy: Address "The President and the Press" Before the American Newspaper Publishers Association, New York City.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    There were, by most estimates, 500 Nazis in Charlottesville. One of them went homicidal. Not all Nazis are violent extremists. You are trying to rationalize your hatred and it's simply not rational.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    as I noted, its better that 10 nutjobs get guns than one good person be wrongly disarmed.

  10. #40
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,356

    Re: Bradley Manning and Julian Assange Both Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    So a man the reports a war crime is a bad man?
    Your starting to sound like a fascist
    If it's not a crime, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •