Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: GM's OnStar now spying on your car for profit even after you unsubscribe?

  1. #1
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    GM's OnStar now spying on your car for profit even after you unsubscribe?

    Originally, the terms and conditions stated that OnStar could only collect information on your vehicle's location during a theft recovery or in the midst of sending emergency services your way. That has apparently changed. Now, OnStar says that it has the right to collect and sell personal, yet supposedly anonymous information on your vehicle, including speed, location, seat belt usage and other information.


    WOW they keep collecting your information even after you cancel the service...Nah theres no corporate greed right Teaparty...somehow some will spin this as the Unions fault



    GM's OnStar now spying on your car for profit even after you unsubscribe? [UPDATE]

  2. #2
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,323
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: GM's OnStar now spying on your car for profit even after you unsubscribe?

    It's a Real World physical form of Data mining.

    An extremely lucrative venture.

    But don't worry, when you finally get home, facebook and google will also monitor every site you visit.

  3. #3
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: GM's OnStar now spying on your car for profit even after you unsubscribe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    It's a Real World physical form of Data mining.

    An extremely lucrative venture.

    But don't worry, when you finally get home, facebook and google will also monitor every site you visit.

    Nope not me...facebooks site isnt even in my history and I use Bing and Yahoo...rather than google...not that they are much better...but im for the underdog kinda guy

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: GM's OnStar now spying on your car for profit even after you unsubscribe?

    I started to reply until I got down to the fallacious arguement. Not worth the effort. Well, O.K. I did reply.

  5. #5
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: GM's OnStar now spying on your car for profit even after you unsubscribe?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    I started to reply until I got down to the fallacious arguement. Not worth the effort. Well, O.K. I did reply.
    what fallacious argument ?

  6. #6
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: GM's OnStar now spying on your car for profit even after you unsubscribe?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Originally, the terms and conditions stated that OnStar could only collect information on your vehicle's location during a theft recovery or in the midst of sending emergency services your way. That has apparently changed. Now, OnStar says that it has the right to collect and sell personal, yet supposedly anonymous information on your vehicle, including speed, location, seat belt usage and other information.


    WOW they keep collecting your information even after you cancel the service...Nah theres no corporate greed right Teaparty...somehow some will spin this as the Unions fault



    GM's OnStar now spying on your car for profit even after you unsubscribe? [UPDATE]
    So GM is no different than other company's who sell your information? How utterly surprising.

    Well Ockham, (aka Mr. Fixit) will now give you some options to subvert this evil GM corporation.

    1. Don't buy a GM car with Onstar.
    2. Don't buy a GM car.
    3. Disconnect Onstar by following the instructions found here:

    How to Remove an Internal OnStar GPS Antenna - Tech Support Forums - TechIMO.com



    Ta-da! Done. Next?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #7
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: GM's OnStar now spying on your car for profit even after you unsubscribe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    So GM is no different than other company's who sell your information? How utterly surprising.

    Well Ockham, (aka Mr. Fixit) will now give you some options to subvert this evil GM corporation.

    1. Don't buy a GM car with Onstar.
    2. Don't buy a GM car.
    3. Disconnect Onstar by following the instructions found here:

    How to Remove an Internal OnStar GPS Antenna - Tech Support Forums - TechIMO.com



    Ta-da! Done. Next?
    As usual you missed the entire point of the article...to be expected though

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: GM's OnStar now spying on your car for profit even after you unsubscribe?

    Right Ockham, where was your slam on the Tea Party? If you aren't going to understand the point, why bother?

  9. #9
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: GM's OnStar now spying on your car for profit even after you unsubscribe?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Right Ockham, where was your slam on the Tea Party? If you aren't going to understand the point, why bother?
    Onstar is run by the teaparty....who wouldve known <grin>.....perry the teaparty thinks everything corporate is just beautiful thing and everything else well just sucks...especially public workers and social security recipients...but if your neither of those I guess you love the teaparty I do not.
    Last edited by lpast; 09-23-11 at 03:48 PM.

  10. #10
    Can't stop the signal...
    theangryamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    07-29-13 @ 11:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,233

    Re: GM's OnStar now spying on your car for profit even after you unsubscribe?

    Hmm... I'll be disconnecting the On-Star antenna on my wife's Trailblazer as soon as I get home today. We've never had an active On-Star subscription since the trial period ran out after buying the vehicle, so it's not something we'll miss. ...and they can't monitor what they can't see.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." - Judge Learned Hand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •