Page 58 of 71 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 708

Thread: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

  1. #571
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    I disagree, we are on a forum to debate politics to find where we stand on things. It is important to certain people; therefore, we should respect their views/opinions. If we disagree, then we should blast them to hell!
    I have no problem with people continuing arguing this point. I have stated my view of the video and that's about as far as my argument goes. I don't see this as a primary issue with the protesters or their goals.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #572
    Guru
    cAPSLOCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,928
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    syncophants
    After seeing you misspell sycophant 200 times or so I thought I'd check to see if you are meaning to for some reason.

  3. #573
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    West Los Angeles, California
    Last Seen
    03-22-12 @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    92

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    The point being missed here is that just like the American Revolution, change only comes when the wealthy want it. The 1% has two factions, the greedy Wall Street types, and the Patriotic Millionaires.

    "Recently members of the group calling themselves “Patriotic Millionaires for Fiscal Strength” sent a letter to Pres. Barack Obama, Harry Reid (Majority Leader in the U. S. Senate), and John Boehner (Speaker of the U. S. House of Representatives). What made the letter notable was that it requested that “you increase taxes on incomes over $1,000,000”—the letter then being signed by a long list of millionaires."


    Here is a link to Patriotic Millionaires a quiet group that knows how to twist arms in hardball politics. “Patriotic Millionaires” | Dissident Voice The Republicans and the Tea Party are going to come out of this like Torries after the American Revolution - assimilate or leave. The Democratic Party in my opinion will get slapped into the middle of next week. The result will be an America that serves all legal CITIZENS.
    Last edited by L. A. Fairfax; 10-11-11 at 09:19 PM.

  4. #574
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    Quote Originally Posted by L. A. Fairfax View Post
    The point being missed here is that just like the American Revolution, change only comes when the wealthy want it. The 1% has two factions, the greedy Wall Street types, and the Patriotic Millionaires.

    "Recently members of the group calling themselves “Patriotic Millionaires for Fiscal Strength” sent a letter to Pres. Barack Obama, Harry Reid (Majority Leader in the U. S. Senate), and John Boehner (Speaker of the U. S. House of Representatives). What made the letter notable was that it requested that “you increase taxes on incomes over $1,000,000”—the letter then being signed by a long list of millionaires."


    Here is a link to Patriotic Millionaires a quiet group that knows how to twist arms in hardball politics. “Patriotic Millionaires” | Dissident Voice The Republicans and the Tea Party are going to come out of this like Torries after the American Revolution - assimilate or leave. The Democratic Party in my opinion will get slapped into the middle of next week. The result will be an America that serves all legal CITIZENS.
    There is nothing stopping any of those "patriotic millionaires" from raising their taxes tomorrow, lets assume 10%, and writing that check to the Treasury. What are they waiting for ?

  5. #575
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Good point!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    There is nothing stopping any of those "patriotic millionaires" from raising their taxes tomorrow, lets assume 10%, and writing that check to the Treasury. What are they waiting for ?
    I feel Sam Harris (Also a wealthy person) writes this perfectly. Please do not quote from the rest of the article unless you read it entirely though. (Which I encourage you to do):

    Some readers will point out that I am free to donate to the treasury even now. But such solitary sacrifice would be utterly ineffectual, and I am no more eager than anyone else is to fill the pork barrels of corrupt politicians. However, if Gates and Buffett created a mechanism that bypassed the current dysfunction of government, earmarking the money for unambiguously worthy projects, I suspect that there are millions of people like myself who would not hesitate to invest in the future of America.
    A New Year’s Resolution for the Rich : Sam Harris

  6. #576
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    West Los Angeles, California
    Last Seen
    03-22-12 @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    92

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    There is nothing stopping any of those "patriotic millionaires" from raising their taxes tomorrow, lets assume 10%, and writing that check to the Treasury. What are they waiting for ?
    You have to be the only poster in the world that would think of this. We get a little support from millionaires on the 99%, Occupy Wall Street, OWS, and you make a remark like that. If I was a millionaire, you are the kind of guy that would make me say "f*uck 'em all, they're as*holes - they deserve to go under."
    Last edited by L. A. Fairfax; 10-11-11 at 09:55 PM.

  7. #577
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    Quote Originally Posted by L. A. Fairfax View Post
    You have to be the only poster in the world that would think of this. We get a little support from millionaires on the 99%, Occupy Wall Street, OWS, and you make a remark like that. If I was a millionaire, you are the kind of guy that would make me say "f*uck 'em all, they're as*holes - they deserve to go under."
    You can bank this. I am many.

    However, as to "going under", you have discovered a basic principal of capitalism. And Conservatism. Failure must be allowed to happen. Welcome to your new awareness. No charge.

  8. #578
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    I feel Sam Harris (Also a wealthy person) writes this perfectly. Please do not quote from the rest of the article unless you read it entirely though. (Which I encourage you to do):



    A New Year’s Resolution for the Rich : Sam Harris
    I went to a different article, and researched them in addition to your link. The quote you added speaks droves. The "patriotic millionaire" is OK with paying more voluntarily, and that safely assumes accepting a tax increase, so long as he can avoid the waste that he knows exists.

    That is not a unique position. I will tell you now that the average Tea Party member will pay more as well if given the same guarantee. We do not want to pass this mess on to our children. But we will not pay extra for the likes of Obama to waste. Not one penny.

    The Deficit Commission recommended a 3:1 ratio of spending cuts to tax increases in order to tame the debt. Make those cuts real, and Conservatives will not only embrace such, but we will take hits to our Social Security and Medicare. Obama is smoke and mirrors on spending cuts though. Phoney baloney. In fact, with the "bipartisan" gang of 12, the Democrats on it have pledged that we ust raise taxes before we address cuts.

    Phuck that. That ain't 3 to l anywhere.

    We need a new President before we can fix this. That turd Obama has to go.

  9. #579
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,453
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    They led them ONTO the bridge, they didn't lead them INTO the street (travel lanes).
    I've seen the video.

    The officers were facing the crowd, blocking access to the traffic lanes.

    Then they suddenly turned around and, remaining in a line, began to precede the crowd onto the bridge.

    I have no idea why they did this, but the crowd following them could be an honest mistake on their part.

    They werent pushing more than normal crowd buffeting. There was chanting of "take the bridge".

    But the officers weren't overwhelmed. They just turned around and "led" the crowd onto the bridge.

    Its odd, and I bet it turns out to be no-fault in court because of it.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  10. #580
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,453
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    BS. They are not on the bridge yet. When the camera angle widens, you can still see another "On ramp" with cars coming up even further to the left. The marchers have to cross that active roadway as well, to then get to the bridge, and its wide walkways. What is evident is that the police escorted the group as it had to cross active roadways. That makes sense. But once up on the bridge, they were to stay in the walkways, and not obstruct traffic on their own, which they clearly did in the longer video, blocking all lanes.

    So is the choice now between what you say, or what my "lying" eyes can see ?
    Actually the entry to the walkway is behind all of this. You can see it in the other videos.

    The police in question were actually standing on a roadway that was obviously closed down.

    Then they turned around and in a line started walking onto the bridge.

    It LOOKS like they led them onto the bridge.

    Enough so it may provide a defense.

    Because if the cops are facing you blocking an entrance then turn and apparently escort forward, it is logical to assume they're allowing you to proceed. Inferring permission.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

Page 58 of 71 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •