Page 40 of 71 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 708

Thread: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

  1. #391
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    At least in Europe, the protesters fight back instead of lying there like a dog.

    Kick the policemens f-ing asses!
    lol..ok that'll work

  2. #392
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    At least in Europe, the protesters fight back instead of lying there like a dog.

    Kick the policemens f-ing asses!
    I really don't see how that's helpful.

    Yes a few NYPD officers didn't act in an appropriate manner, and they should be reprimanded for their transgressions BUT that does not excuse people to start attacking officers of the law.

  3. #393
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    Michael Moron getting involved in this pretty much says it all.

  4. #394
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,068

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    the idea of the American dream keeps people working and pacified, because they feel they have a chance within the system to better themselves and the lives of their children.

    if the illusion is broken, there will be unrest. put simply, if the average person feels he or she has little to no chance of ever doing better than scraping by, that person will be a lot less likely to let a small percentage of people hold most of the wealth.

  5. #395
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    the idea of the American dream keeps people working and pacified, because they feel they have a chance within the system to better themselves and the lives of their children.

    if the illusion is broken, there will be unrest. put simply, if the average person feels he or she has little to no chance of ever doing better than scraping by, that person will be a lot less likely to let a small percentage of people hold most of the wealth.
    I am truly saddened when reading a post like this. People are still finding all sorts of ways to get into this country to have a chance at a better life.

    My sense is the thing most broken in this country is the spirit of it's people, not unlike the feeling under the Carter administration.

    Yesterday, Steve Jobs passed away. He was the child of a single mom, a college student. He dropped out of college after a year and went on to become a multi-billionaire. That is the greatness of America, and yes it still exists!

  6. #396
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,419
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    I hope they hang on long enough for the tea party to realize how much they have in common.

    Cuz aren't the tea partiers real pissed about the bailouts, etc?

    Hasn't the govt on both sides done nothing about fraudulent activities on the part of banks and wall st.

    Seems that sitting at or near the scene of the crime and demanding something be done could actually appeal to some tea partiers.

    And might force govt to address something both sides and the middle are pissed about.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  7. #397
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,068

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    I am truly saddened when reading a post like this. People are still finding all sorts of ways to get into this country to have a chance at a better life.

    My sense is the thing most broken in this country is the spirit of it's people, not unlike the feeling under the Carter administration.

    Yesterday, Steve Jobs passed away. He was the child of a single mom, a college student. He dropped out of college after a year and went on to become a multi-billionaire. That is the greatness of America, and yes it still exists!
    my post is not a rallying cry; it's an observation.

    in the case of the current protest, a lot of young people are graduating from college into a job market that offers them a chance to work fast food or wait tables if they're lucky. meanwhile, their college debt is crushing. that tends to get people a bit upset.

  8. #398
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    my post is not a rallying cry; it's an observation.

    in the case of the current protest, a lot of young people are graduating from college into a job market that offers them a chance to work fast food or wait tables if they're lucky. meanwhile, their college debt is crushing. that tends to get people a bit upset.
    From the statistics I have seen, the jobless rate for college graduates is much lower than the overall rate. We also know that college graduates come in all shapes and sizes. For example, I am told that some number of the protesters are current college kids. If they were dedicated students they would be in class doing their work.

    Again, my concern is the feeling by so many in America that they can't succeed.

  9. #399
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,068

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    From the statistics I have seen, the jobless rate for college graduates is much lower than the overall rate. We also know that college graduates come in all shapes and sizes. For example, I am told that some number of the protesters are current college kids. If they were dedicated students they would be in class doing their work.

    Again, my concern is the feeling by so many in America that they can't succeed.
    that's a concern that i share with you.

    this is what i was talking about : http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/19/bu...y/19grads.html

  10. #400
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Occupy Wall Street Enters Its Fourth Day, Tensions Rise

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Right, big money influencing elections do not actually bother you. Your complaints are dismissed.
    I prefer no big money from either side. But the reality is that the law was not changed to prevent big money from either side, it was expanded to allow anonymous big money from anyone. That is going from bad to much worse.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 40 of 71 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •