Page 59 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 640

Thread: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

  1. #581
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    Do you read for comprehension at all? Let me repeat myself again: reply to whatever you want, preferably with rational arguements, but not even that if you want. It's your choice what you do.
    Oh so basically it wasn't worth saying. Good.




    Strawman again. No one said you wish death on anyone. Or maybe you just don't read for comprehension like I said.
    You did more or less.




    Do you understand that in your first sentence you equate both "Prevention in your life" and "prevention in the government" to "not at all reliable". Let me ask the silly question: if they are both "not at all reliable", why wouldn't I treat them the same?
    Why would you?

    I can sort of understand if you gloss over my posts and don't comprehend what I write, but do you also gloss over your own posts too?
    You equated prevention in your life to prevention in the government. I understood it perfectly. Calling me stupid is not helpful to you.

    So you are claiming the US does not have democracy?
    I'm not claiming anything. I'm telling you it is not.




    So back to square one. After contradicting what everyone can see was your thinking so far (you want the government to provide only what you think ought to be provided by the government and begrudge the taxes you think are paid for what others want) you now go back and confirm it. Don't you get tired of contradicting and repeating yourself?

    I made it perfectly clear what needs to be provided for everyone and what I want is not the same thing.



    You are just filled with fallacies. Let's examine your strawman - what if I go to the opposite extreme of "forcing people to do what I wish" - i.e. absolute freedom? Is it moral that we force people to have a driver license before they can drive? Is it moral that we punish people who want to shout fire in a public confined space? Is it moral that we put criminals in jail and curtail their freedom as a result?
    Protecting of rights and liberties generally comes with punishing of violations. It has nothing to do with what I want and everything to do with logic.

    The other two are you just projecting on me.


    Yes, I do as my post made clear. And you are just repeating it without any counter arguement whatsoever.
    Explain your logic if you don't mind then. Where does this responsibility naturally come from? If you haven't noticed it doesn't exist outside of man made creation.

    As I have said, and I'll repeat again: That is because you think that it's okay to let someone die who can't pay for the healthcare. And you don't seem to comprehend that you are as subjective as I am, whereas I'm very attuned to that fact and made clear from the beginning that it's my views, subjective to me. You keep repeating that it's my view, but you don't seem to understand what that means.
    Mine are based on how the word actually works on how people actually think. Yours are based on how the world should work, on how people should work. Aka baseless bull**** as I said.

    My morality is base on my reality and value as yours are. I think the problem with your position is both to do with reality and values - as I've said in my original post. You believe that it's not your problem when someone fails to buy insurance, it's their problem. That ignores the reality of how the system currently works.
    My argument doesn't ignore how it is current but simply says that the system needs to change to end that connection.

    The fact that it affects you the tax payer and potential healthcare user in many ways: when they seek charity care, that is paid with tax money. If they don't seek charity care, and own the bill to the hospital, as Ron Paul campaign manager did (his family still have not paid the bill) the hospital covers that loss by charging more for the services. We know what your values are regarding society. What my value are regarding society I've stated in my original post. So you are immoral to me, and I think to DA and Paul too who could not bring themselves to say that it's okay to let someone die who can't pay for their healthcare. My reality is not baseless, they are backed up with factual examples and solid reasonings which you have not been able to refute in anyway.
    Until you can show me where these morals come from and not just ramble on about nothing related I will continue to say they are baseless.
    Last edited by Henrin; 09-21-11 at 08:33 AM.

  2. #582
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Oh so basically it wasn't worth saying. Good.
    So why do you keep replying to me if you believe that?

    You did more or less.
    You are now plainly lying.

    Why would you?
    If two things are the same, it's logically consistent to treat them the same.


    You equated prevention in your life to prevention in the government. I understood it perfectly. Calling me stupid is not helpful to you.
    It is when it's true.


    I'm not claiming anything. I'm telling you it is not.
    You are not in touch with reality.


    I made it perfectly clear what needs to be provided for everyone and what I want is not the same thing.
    Until you contradicted yourself by saying that there are "all kinds of things" you want the government to provide for you. In any case, I've already said that you want the government to provide only what you want it to (i.e. you think it ought to) provide for you. You don't want healthcare provided by the government - so "what needs" to be provided for everyone is not healthcare. You contradicted that and now you confirm it again.

    Protecting of rights and liberties generally comes with punishing of violations. It has nothing to do with what I want and everything to do with logic.

    The other two are you just projecting on me.
    I didn't ask you what you want, I asked if those laws were "moral".

    The problem with you is that what's "logical" is tied to what you "want" or what you think it ought to be. You can't see it, but your answers confirm that every time.

    Explain your logic if you don't mind then. Where does this responsibility naturally come from? If you haven't noticed it doesn't exist outside of man made creation.

    Wrong. It exists in other social animals too. Dolphins have been known to protect the members of their pods, even killing sharks to revenge their members. Elephants have been known to conduct funerals for their dead members. Birds share the burden of flying in front when migrating. Penguins huddle together to shield each other from the wind and cold and share their heat. Even lions hunt in pack and share their kills.


    Mine are based on how the word actually works on how people actually think. Yours are based on how the world should work, on how people should work. Aka baseless bull**** as I said.
    Contradicted by the following:

    My argument doesn't ignore how it is current but simply says that the system needs to change to end that connection.
    My arguements are base on the problems currently experienced in the system and the remedies used in other countries - mandate makes people buy insurance - that's proven in Switzerland. None of your arguements so far are supported by actual facts on the ground.


    Until you can show me where these morals come from and not just ramble on about nothing related I will continue to say they are baseless.
    Say whatever you want, it doesn't make anything you say true. Try to understand what "subjectivity" means, and you might understand my arguements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Free_Radical View Post

    And I wasn't making an appeal to authority, I was making an appeal to the philosophical body of work of the founders, the worth and content of which should be well-known to anyone with a cursory understanding of basic history and philosophy.

    Brian

  3. #583
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,868

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by cAPSLOCK View Post
    I am an audio engineer for a living. There is nothing wrong with the sound in the clip that would stop one from honestly evaluating what is there.

    There is one "Yeah", one "Yes", and one sort of "Wheep"(?). Only. These 2 (or three) affirmative sounds are underpinned by nervous laughter on the part of the rest of the crowd.

    You are just as wrong to pin that on the whole tea party movement as a conservative would be to broadbrush liberal environmentalists because of the actions of certain violent protesters or pot smoking tree sitters.

    But I am beginning to think expecting you to understand reasonable logic is a fools errand unfortunately.
    Its like with every other argument. One seeks to emphasize what one wants to believe.
    As for Paul, he's the real anti Obama, and that alone makes him scary, and for Cons, he's the anti establishment politician.
    Expect nothing else from hereon out but misinformation and half truths.
    This thread isn't about letting this hypothetical patient die, its about being too complacent and hung up in the status quo to change politics as usual.

  4. #584
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    The mandate is about making people save for their own care before they fall ill - that's what insurance are for.

    If they pay for people who won't save for their own healthcare expenses, then they are encouraging irresponsible behaviour instead of letting these people face the consequences of their poor decisions, i.e. the risk they took by not buying health insurance.

    It's the libertarian position that makes no sense in reality.
    That is a nice diversion, but you fail. What you said and what I was responding to was.

    The other benefit is that more people who can't afford healthcare won't get it, which will mean the hospital have no need to spread the loss from these people onto other people and raising the costs for everyone.
    Again, the mandate is supposed to reduce the amount of uncompensated care. Not having a mandate will not reduce the amount of uncompensated care and if hospitals continue offering it then they will have to spread that across paying patients.

    Making people save for their healthcare instead of paying the bills for them through "charity care" is addressing the problem of costs.
    Nope. It does not address costs at all, just who pays.

  5. #585
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    That is a nice diversion, but you fail. What you said and what I was responding to was.
    Correcting you on what I believe mandates are for is not a "diversion". It's very much a part of this thread.

    Again, the mandate is supposed to reduce the amount of uncompensated care. Not having a mandate will not reduce the amount of uncompensated care and if hospitals continue offering it then they will have to spread that across paying patients.
    So you repeated what I said before. Are you saying you agree with me?


    Nope. It does not address costs at all, just who pays.
    Let's see: more people are paying for their bills, so the hospital don't have to charge higher for their services to make up for those who can't pay, how is that not addressing costs again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Free_Radical View Post

    And I wasn't making an appeal to authority, I was making an appeal to the philosophical body of work of the founders, the worth and content of which should be well-known to anyone with a cursory understanding of basic history and philosophy.

    Brian

  6. #586
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    And if you dont pay your taxes see what happens when you refuse to leave the home the government is taking from you in order to recoup the costs of those taxes.
    Of course, because your representative particpated and represented you. You can't murder someone either, as your representative agree that should be against the law. It is not robbery when you follow the legal agreed upon method to decide these things.

    I take it you've conceded the earlier point and that is why you're switching topics?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #587
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,662

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonxe View Post
    I believe it was said earlier in the thread that Paul said "we need a system where patients pay cash for basic services and carry insurance only for serious illnesses and accidents.".
    That system would work if there were clinics were people could recieve the most basic of services for a reasonable fee. The problem with having such clinics is that there is a potential for a lawsuit EVERY time a doctor sees a patient. Engage legal reform and you would see a LOT of the costs go down. As it is, we see a patient in the ER and regardless of their insurance status, we run bloodwork, scans, you name it. You HAVE to. Miss something and you get sued.

  8. #588
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    Correcting you on what I believe mandates are for is not a "diversion". It's very much a part of this thread.
    Nonsense. You argued that a benefit of Paul's approach (that is, you think Paul's supporters see this as a benefit not that you see it as one) would be to reduce the amount of uncompensated care implying that those people would be left to die. But, without a mandate people will still get care as they do now without a mandate because the doctors and hospitals are too kind to turn these people away. They are not the inhuman monsters that you wish to make them out to be. They want to help other people. Yes, they have their own needs and want to get paid, but they are not heartless.

    So you repeated what I said before. Are you saying you agree with me?
    That is not what you said before. You claimed that no mandate would reduce the uncompensated care because those with out insurance would be left to die.

    Let's see: more people are paying for their bills, so the hospital don't have to charge higher for their services to make up for those who can't pay, how is that not addressing costs again?
    It does not address costs at all. It addresses who bears the cost, i.e., who pays. It does not reduce the cost. It just shifts the burden and once we can no longer afford it there will be rationing.

  9. #589
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    That system would work if there were clinics were people could recieve the most basic of services for a reasonable fee. The problem with having such clinics is that there is a potential for a lawsuit EVERY time a doctor sees a patient. Engage legal reform and you would see a LOT of the costs go down. As it is, we see a patient in the ER and regardless of their insurance status, we run bloodwork, scans, you name it. You HAVE to. Miss something and you get sued.
    Yes, the tort system is part of the problem. And it is not really the the payouts on the lawsuits as much it is the incentives it creates. A doctor is encouraged to cover his own ass and make sure that he does not miss anything no matter how unlikely, since neither he nor his patient has to pay the cost of unneeded procedures.

    The left wants us all to pretend that resources are no object. They are and always will be because of opportunity costs. Spend millions to make sure NOTHING is missed in medical care and that is less for education, infrastructure, environmental concerns, defense or police protection.

  10. #590
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by cAPSLOCK View Post
    I am an audio engineer for a living. There is nothing wrong with the sound in the clip that would stop one from honestly evaluating what is there.

    There is one "Yeah", one "Yes", and one sort of "Wheep"(?). Only. These 2 (or three) affirmative sounds are underpinned by nervous laughter on the part of the rest of the crowd.

    You are just as wrong to pin that on the whole tea party movement as a conservative would be to broadbrush liberal environmentalists because of the actions of certain violent protesters or pot smoking tree sitters.

    But I am beginning to think expecting you to understand reasonable logic is a fools errand unfortunately.
    The claim that it's just one or two teabaggers who believe the uninsured sick should be left to die is absurd. It's not as if this were the only time they have expressed this opinion

    Tea Partiers Mock And Scorn Apparent Parkinson's Victim - YouTube
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 59 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •