Page 53 of 64 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 640

Thread: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

  1. #521
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,071

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    It would be foolish to think the Tea Partiers aren't a "sleeping giant" in this nation.
    the problem being that their dream is a nightmare for most of the nation.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #522
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    The crowd never once yelled "Let him die."
    Never the point. That anyone felt free enough to express should a vile thought is of some concern.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #523
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    the problem being that their dream is a nightmare for most of the nation.
    Said one person.

  4. #524
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Said one person.
    Yeah, just one person

    Tea Party’s Approval Rating Drops To New Low – New Gallup Poll | The New Civil Rights Movement

    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #525
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Never the point. That anyone felt free enough to express should a vile thought is of some concern.
    If the crowd didn't shout "let him die", then don't post that the crowd said "let him die".

    Both sides of this issue I agree and disagree with. The man shouldn't have dropped his health insurance and thought that it was wise. The crowd should not have seemingly shouted in glee at the thought of him dying. This issue is not black or white.

  6. #526
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    If the crowd didn't shout "let him die", then don't post that the crowd said "let him die".

    Both sides of this issue I agree and disagree with. The man shouldn't have dropped his health insurance and thought that it was wise. The crowd should not have seemingly shouted in glee at the thought of him dying. This issue is not black or white.
    Define the issue. What was yelled was approval of letting him die. You can't say let him be responsible if at the end of the day we're going to take care of him anyway. This is why Paul struggled so much witht he question.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #527
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,071

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Define the issue. What was yelled was approval of letting him die. You can't say let him be responsible if at the end of the day we're going to take care of him anyway. This is why Paul struggled so much witht he question.
    Paul struggled with the question because he is Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. Most of him is the elected Republican Party politician who must continue to get elected. He knows that he will be lambasted nationwide if he dares say "sure, libertarians believe in free choice, and he made a choice so let him suffer the consequences of his free choice - let him die". But that libertarian Mr. Hyde burrowing deep inside of him wants to tease it just the same but then pull back just before the truth is told. This way the Paulites and randroids can continue to praise him since they speak libertarianese code but yet he avoids the contempt of most Americans.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #528
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Paul struggled with the question because he is Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. Most of him is the elected Republican Party politician who must continue to get elected. He knows that he will be lambasted nationwide if he dares say "sure, libertarians believe in free choice, and he made a choice so let him suffer the consequences of his free choice - let him die". But that libertarian Mr. Hyde burrowing deep inside of him wants to tease it just the same but then pull back just before the truth is told. This way the Paulites and randroids can continue to praise him since they speak libertarianese code but yet he avoids the contempt of most Americans.
    Perhaps. I'd like to think he realizes the problem with ideology overriding pragmatic concerns. If not, he wouldn't be the first to fail to see the importance of seeing beyond ideaology.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #529
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,940

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Never the point. That anyone felt free enough to express should a vile thought is of some concern.
    I guess the important word here is "free." On the OP's clip I heard only two men say "Yeah." I didn't hear "Let him die." But perhaps, as you say, this isn't the point. In a crowd there are likely to be a couple of loudmouthed jerks. And yes, up to a point, they are free to be jerks.

    Somewhere earlier on this thread I posted that I had recently attended my newly elected Rep's local townhall meeting. Probably 350 people in the audience, lots of them in the "retired" age group. For the most part, the audience was very polite, but at the end, there were 2-3 guys in a back corner who mouthed off. Liberals, just FYI, who didn't like the conservative POV being expressed.

    They were rude and irritating, and like others, I turned to glare and see where they were and what they looked like. Never did. Their rudeness made me so mad I could've socked them, and I wanted to shout, "Just STFU!" But I didn't, and nobody else did either, just nervously laughed. I don't think that we were wrong to continue to behave.

    Some posting on this thread think that others in the GOP debate crowd should have done something--what? Become part of the problem? Create more of a disruption? Did we somehow morally fail because we didn't? Did the GOP debate crowd morally fail because they didn't? I'd say that civilized people ignore lone asshats unless they're so disruptive that they're led away by the cops.

    But up to a point, people are free to be jerks. To shout "Yeah!" or even "Let him die!" (which, again, I did not hear on the clip).

    BTW, my friends and I never said, "Wow, those progressives and liberals--they're just disgusting" because others of our friends who are liberals and Dems were also in that crowd and behaved civilly the way the vast, vast majority of us did. Not fair to stereotype those who hold a particular political view because of 2-3 jerks.

    The two guys in the GOP debate behaved disgracefully. But the bad's on them, not the entire Tea Party. Entertaining, kinda, to see those who hate the Tea Party trying to seize on this. And I know who flogged it all too because I Googled--the Huffington Post, Mediaite, and Kos. So there you go.

  10. #530
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,071

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Why do you persist in this lie about TWO GUYS?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 53 of 64 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •