Page 27 of 64 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 640

Thread: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

  1. #261
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
    It's not a matter of disagreeing or agreeing. Making a government that handles your needs is not a good way to form a working economy. It's not a good way to form a responsible society. The fact is your needs are what drives you, without them, what is making you get out of your house? Needs are the life blood of any economy. But another reason you keep it just to protections of rights and liberties is because what you desire has no real way to be defined and any service, be it a cell phone, healthcare, or housing can become a need if people become dependent on it. Is it really something you consider wise to allow the government to control any service that reaches that level?
    Last edited by Henrin; 09-14-11 at 11:43 PM.

  2. #262
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    It certainly explains how you can afford health insurance. Try living in the real world.
    Lol, in the real world he would have his employer handle it. You kind of fail at this.
    Last edited by Henrin; 09-14-11 at 11:43 PM.

  3. #263
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Dash, you know I love you bro, but I just have to point out something.

    You say that you have no responsibility to your fellow citizens, but only to yourself. Well, clearly, you serve in a profession where the citizens of this country are responsible for your well-being (paid through taxes, and, increasingly, through borrowing) and you in turn are responsible for their security. Clearly there is a discrepancy between your stated beliefs and your actions.

    Not to mention, yes, it is a bit disingenuous of you to suggest that you can afford health insurance just fine on a salary of 24k when you actually get quite a bit of help from the gov't (TriCare, I assume).

    Not trying to bash you here, I'm just sayin' please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 09-14-11 at 11:40 PM.

  4. #264
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    wrong. I have no interest in force feeding anybody. Why is it necessary for you to create a perverted Frankenstien monster version of others beliefs in the desperate hope of elevating your own?
    So what you are saying is you are against cigarette taxes, sugary food taxes, banning of unhealthy food, etc? Seems odd coming from a liberal.
    Last edited by Henrin; 09-14-11 at 11:39 PM.

  5. #265
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,707

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Word on the street is, the Tea Party has selected their unofficial song.

    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  6. #266
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,885

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    The cheers after the "let him die" was a little inappropriate, but I agree with what Ron Paul said, I think Wolf Blitzer took the statement out of proportion asking that question.

    Who said that society should let the guy die?
    from what Paul said ( which i don't know his exact stance whether it is or isnt) you can interpret that the guy could just go into debt the rest of his life for the life-saving surgery. That is certainly not letting him die without doing anything. Isn't there a law requiring hospitals to stabilize patients regardless of health insurance?
    Being in debt for the rest of your life, in my opinion, is better then dieing at least.

    I think this miracle funding stuff should be done by charities, not government.

    The freedom to possibly screw over yourself for a mild benefit is anyone's to take advantage of if they want too.

  7. #267
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    It's not a matter of disagreeing or agreeing. Making a government that handles your needs is not a good way to form a working economy. It's not a good way to form a responsible society. The fact is your needs are what drives you, without them, what is making you get out of your house? Needs are the life blood of any economy. But another reason you keep it just to protections of rights and liberties is because what you desire has no real way to be defined and any service, be it a cell phone, healthcare, or housing can become a need if people become dependent on it. Is it really something you consider wise to allow the government to control any service that reaches that level?
    Your response here sets up a straw man. No one other than true communists or socialists believe that we should have a government that handles all your needs. So you are attacking an argument that very few people make. Broadly, what the majority of people believe, and what the majority of economists believe, is that a successful market economic system requires some safety nets provided by the public sector. Programs like unemployment insurance, health coverage for the poor, some form of a disability program, and so form of retirement assistance (possibly means tested), and some type of publicly subsidized health coverage for seniors (possibly means tested). These are components of every successful state on the planet. The only modern industrialized society on the planet that leaves this completely to the private sector is Hong Kong, but the catch is that Hong Kong requires residence to purchase disability insurance, health insurance, retirement investments / annuities, and a private sector provided unemployment insurance.

    This libertarian utopia that guys like Ron Paul promote is not practiced anywhere.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #268
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Your response here sets up a straw man. No one other than true communists or socialists believe that we should have a government that handles all your needs. So you are attacking an argument that very few people make. Broadly, what the majority of people believe, and what the majority of economists believe, is that a successful market economic system requires some safety nets provided by the public sector. Programs like unemployment insurance, health coverage for the poor, some form of a disability program, and so form of retirement assistance (possibly means tested), and some type of publicly subsidized health coverage for seniors (possibly means tested). These are components of every successful state on the planet. The only modern industrialized society on the planet that leaves this completely to the private sector is Hong Kong, but the catch is that Hong Kong requires residence to purchase disability insurance, health insurance, retirement investments / annuities, and a private sector provided unemployment insurance.

    This libertarian utopia that guys like Ron Paul promote is not practiced anywhere.
    I'm not even sure Ron Paul would seek to impose a "Paulian" society if he actually got to the White House.

  9. #269
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Your response here sets up a straw man. No one other than true communists or socialists believe that we should have a government that handles all your needs.
    I don't really see anyone ever draw a line in the sand. I hear many people say its there, but damn if I ever see anyone draw it. If you won't draw it, it doesn't exist.

    Broadly, what the majority of people believe, and what the majority of economists believe, is that a successful market economic system requires some safety nets provided by the public sector. Programs like unemployment insurance, health coverage for the poor, some form of a disability program, and so form of retirement assistance (possibly means tested), and some type of publicly subsidized health coverage for seniors (possibly means tested).
    Economists understand the damage that all of those programs do to the economy. Unemployment for example they all agree kills interest to get in the market. If they support them is largely depend on the damage it has caused and the need for those programs to continue because of it.

    These are components of every successful state on the planet. The only modern industrialized society on the planet that leaves this completely to the private sector is Hong Kong, but the catch is that Hong Kong requires residence to purchase disability insurance, health insurance, retirement investments / annuities, and a private sector provided unemployment insurance.
    This is largely my point. Tell me, what has happened to the economies of the world? Where is the work ethic today? Where has it gone since all of this started? Down. Add to that, that most of these programs lower the value of money and it just turns to serve itself.

    This libertarian utopia that guys like Ron Paul promote is not practiced anywhere.
    The thing about utopias is they promote a perfect world order. Libertarians do not promote a perfect world order. The term doesn't fly.
    Last edited by Henrin; 09-15-11 at 12:07 AM.

  10. #270
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,267

    Re: Tea Party Crowd Yells Let Him Die

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Lol, in the real world he would have his employer handle it. You kind of fail at this.
    Wow. just wow. Do ANY of you right wingers actually work in the real world? Most folks bear a majority of the health care insurance bill now. Try to keep up. Or better yet, get a job!

Page 27 of 64 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •