Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 97

Thread: Insiders: GOP Would Be Better Off With Romney for 2012

  1. #41
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Insiders: GOP Would Be Better Off With Romney for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    But to my point.......people just throw all sorts of accusations, true or not and scream "TEA PARTY, TEA PARTY"
    The Tea Party is a reactionary populist movement consisting of people who push blame for things that are their own fault onto other segments of the American polity. They respond to (and therefore are manipulated by) provocative symbolism, as opposed to reasoned, impartial discussion. In other words, they are a super concentrated version of the same vices (hypocrisy and ignorance) that have lead the United States astray for decades.

    How they feel about issues doesn't matter much when they don't have the disciplined thinking and behavior necessary to make effectual reform occur.

    Wanting to limit the size of government when the government is the largest non-profit employer in a troubled economy (and one of the few interested in paying salaries that support the incomes necessary to support a middle class) risks causing more trouble than your solving, but the Tea Party isn't restrained by that fact.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 09-03-11 at 05:44 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Insiders: GOP Would Be Better Off With Romney for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    The Tea Party is a reactionary populist movement consisting of people who push blame for things that are their own fault onto other segments of the American polity. They respond to (and therefore are manipulated by) provocative symbolism, as opposed to reasoned, impartial discussion. In other words, they are a super concentrated version of the same vices (hypocrisy and ignorance) that have lead the United States astray for decades.
    A paragraph without really saying anything. I could say the same of you and alone it would be as valid.

    How they feel about issues doesn't matter much when they don't have the disciplined thinking and behavior necessary to make effectual reform occur.
    I guess you weren't paying attention to the debt ceiling debate.

    Wanting to limit the size of government when the government is the largest non-profit employer in a troubled economy (and one of the few interested in paying salaries that support the incomes necessary to support a middle class) risks causing more trouble than your solving, but the Tea Party isn't restrained by that fact.
    Ah , yes, there we go. They dislike your sacred cow.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,589

    Re: Insiders: GOP Would Be Better Off With Romney for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Here we go again.....Gingrich has had little to nothing to do with the Tea Party. Matter of fact, he's slammed them. Facts seems to mean little to those who simply want to attack.
    Not if the best they can come up with are Bachmann, Perry, and Palin, no they won't last long.

    There. Better now?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Insiders: GOP Would Be Better Off With Romney for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Not if the best they can come up with are Bachmann, Perry, and Palin, no they won't last long.

    There. Better now?
    Perry is ahead of Obama in the polls.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,589

    Re: Insiders: GOP Would Be Better Off With Romney for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Perry is ahead of Obama in the polls.
    No kidding?

    Whose polls?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Insiders: GOP Would Be Better Off With Romney for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    No kidding?

    Whose polls?
    Perry 44% Obama 41%; President Leads Other GOP Hopefuls - Rasmussen Reports™

    Nearly all polls also have them within the moe.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,589

    Re: Insiders: GOP Would Be Better Off With Romney for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    OMG! That many find Perry the least objectionable. That's just scary!
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #48
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Insiders: GOP Would Be Better Off With Romney for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    The Tea Party is a reactionary populist movement consisting of people who push blame for things that are their own fault onto other segments of the American polity. They respond to (and therefore are manipulated by) provocative symbolism, as opposed to reasoned, impartial discussion. In other words, they are a super concentrated version of the same vices (hypocrisy and ignorance) that have lead the United States astray for decades.

    How they feel about issues doesn't matter much when they don't have the disciplined thinking and behavior necessary to make effectual reform occur.

    Wanting to limit the size of government when the government is the largest non-profit employer in a troubled economy (and one of the few interested in paying salaries that support the incomes necessary to support a middle class) risks causing more trouble than your solving, but the Tea Party isn't restrained by that fact.
    Who do you think is the cause for the creation of the Tea Party? The politics and fiscal policies of Barack Obama. Most Americans don't want to spread the wealth and feel like they contribute enough to federal taxes. The Tea Partiy is not corporate America. They are Americans simply tired of seeing the budget increased by trillions of dollars in a few short years.

    The Tea Party are Americans that endorse limited government, reduced government spending, limited burdensome taxation, and reduction of the national debt. They also believe in the original interpretation of the Constitution. Call them crazy, right?

    Have you ever thought about how revenue is created for government jobs? The government gets back about 7-8 K in federal income tax on a $50 K job, creating a $42,000 - $43,000 deficit. Sure that individual will spend and help stimulate the economy, but how much will go back to the government in taxes? Where does that revenue come from? Tax payers. Government jobs are very costly and certainly aren't self-sustaining. This is simple math and simple economics. Money doesn't grow on trees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Insiders: GOP Would Be Better Off With Romney for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    Who do you think is the cause for the creation of the Tea Party? The politics and fiscal policies of Barack Obama. [...]
    I would venture that the color of Barack Obama, and bigotry in general, is a more reliable foundation. To wit:

    Polls have also examined Tea Party supporters' views on race and racial politics. The University of Washington poll of registered voters in Washington State found that 74% of Tea Party supporters agreed with the statement "[w]hile equal opportunity for blacks and minorities to succeed is important, it's not really the government's job to guarantee it", while a CBS/New York Times poll found that 25% think that the administration favors blacks over whites, compared with just 11% of the general public, and that they are more likely to believe Obama was born outside the United States.[74][80][81] A seven state study conducted from the University of Washington found that Tea Party movement supporters within those states were "more likely to be racially resentful" than the population as a whole, even when controlling for partisanship and ideology.[82][83] Of white poll respondents who strongly approve of the Tea Party, only 35% believe that blacks are hard-working, compared to 55% of those strongly opposed to the Tea Party, and 40% of all respondents.[84][85] However, analysis done by ABC News' Polling Unit found that views on race "are not significant predictors of support for the Tea Party movement" because they are typical of whites who are very conservative.[86][87]

    A University of Washington poll of 1,695 registered voters in the state of Washington reported that 73% of Tea Party supporters disapprove of Obama's policy of engaging with Muslim countries, 88% approve of the controversial immigration law recently enacted in Arizona, 82% do not believe that gay and lesbian couples should have the legal right to marry, and that about 52% believed that "lesbians and gays have too much political power".[80][81] More than half (52%) of Tea Party supporters told pollsters for CBS/New York Times that they think their own "income taxes this year are fair".[74] Additionally, a Bloomberg News poll found that Tea Partiers are not against increased government action in all cases. "The ideas that find nearly universal agreement among Tea Party supporters are rather vague," says J. Ann Selzer, the pollster who created the survey. "You would think any idea that involves more government action would be anathema, and that is just not the case."

    Tea Party movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    The Tea Party are Americans that endorse limited government, reduced government spending, limited burdensome taxation, and reduction of the national debt. They also believe in the original interpretation of the Constitution. Call them crazy, right?
    In light of the quoted material above, I would instead call your argument a repetition of popular myth. However, I would call this particular Tea Partier (I presume), and her fans, crazy (video from 7-22-2009): Flag-waving attendee @ Mike Castle town hall wants "her" country back - YouTube

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Insiders: GOP Would Be Better Off With Romney for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    Who do you think is the cause for the creation of the Tea Party? The politics and fiscal policies of Barack Obama.
    It started because of the policies of Bush. Obama was president at the time that they got the publicity but it was because of policies enacted under Bush. Obama supported those actions but being that Bush signed them, they fall in is lap.

    Many people refused to vote for McCain because of his support for these policies also.
    Last edited by 1Perry; 09-04-11 at 07:07 PM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •