Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 80 of 80

Thread: Solyndra shuts its doors

  1. #71
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    It would help if you had any idea what you are talking about.

    Solyndra and the other manufacturers are facing a huge influx of Chinese competition. Competition that is not only receiving subsidized loans, but subsidized utilities and subsidized rent. It's no wonder that firms like Solyndra can't compete when its competitors are in no way playing fair. In many ways, the Chinese are basically dumping solar panels.

    The great thing about your hypocrisy is that people like you are against the very kind of subsidies that are allowing foreign firms to drive American business into the ground.
    Its ok though, the big Chinese companies (suntech, JA, Trina, etc) still can't outcompete American companies like First Solar with cost and efficiency.

  2. #72
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,302

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    You bet, it's small potatoes, here is a comparison:

    Talk about distortion, it isn't the role of the govt. to gamble with taxpayer money but it is the role of the govt. to defend this country. If there was waste, fraud, and abuse of taxpayer dollars in the military spending, then prosecute but quite trying to equate the two expenditures.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Talk about distortion, it isn't the role of the govt. to gamble with taxpayer money but it is the role of the govt. to defend this country. If there was waste, fraud, and abuse of taxpayer dollars in the military spending, then prosecute but quite trying to equate the two expenditures.
    This is true but there is massive fraud and waste in the programs they are designed to do and it must be addressed also. It's not much of a defense though as the fraud and waste is every bit as big under Obama as it's been under anyone.

  4. #74
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,523

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Partisanship aside, it is a good, and complex question. This is just one example of a root issue when you look at competition globally.

    For example, say you as a nation are against steroid use. However, you play an international sport and ever other nation uses steroids. You can stick to your guns and be a loser, or you violate your ideals and go out and compete to win. Nations have to make these hard decisions, sometimes it's life and death, or the slow decay of an economy, etc. Fortunately most of us when we make such choices, it's only in our homes, or in maybe a small industry segment where the only losers are in terms of dollars, not lives (usually!).

    This can be applied to so many political issues. Too big to fail for example. Sure it's bad, but if globally we get spanked by giant companies that have no such restriction, what's your call? Let a foreign power dominate or play to win?

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Partisanship aside, it is a good, and complex question. This is just one example of a root issue when you look at competition globally.

    For example, say you as a nation are against steroid use. However, you play an international sport and ever other nation uses steroids. You can stick to your guns and be a loser, or you violate your ideals and go out and compete to win. Nations have to make these hard decisions, sometimes it's life and death, or the slow decay of an economy, etc. Fortunately most of us when we make such choices, it's only in our homes, or in maybe a small industry segment where the only losers are in terms of dollars, not lives (usually!).

    This can be applied to so many political issues. Too big to fail for example. Sure it's bad, but if globally we get spanked by giant companies that have no such restriction, what's your call? Let a foreign power dominate or play to win?
    The problem is in doing nothing while GE ships job after job to China. The problem here is the huge conflict of interest. The problem here is that nearly everyone noted that money alone was never going to make this company solvant.

  6. #76
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Talk about distortion, it isn't the role of the govt. to gamble with taxpayer money but it is the role of the govt. to defend this country. If there was waste, fraud, and abuse of taxpayer dollars in the military spending, then prosecute but quite trying to equate the two expenditures.
    Look, it was Bush and the Republicans who created the guarantee program in the first place, deal with it.

    Exclusive Timeline: Bush Administration Advanced Solyndra Loan Guarantee for Two Years, Media Blow the Story


  7. #77
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,302

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Look, it was Bush and the Republicans who created the guarantee program in the first place, deal with it.

    Exclusive Timeline: Bush Administration Advanced Solyndra Loan Guarantee for Two Years, Media Blow the Story
    How much money did we lose on Solyndra because of Bush? Live with it, "your" President made the loan over objections

  8. #78
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    How much money did we lose on Solyndra because of Bush? Live with it, "your" President made the loan over objections
    Deal with the fact that China is having an economic war against us. However, it was initially the Bush administration that chose Solyndra as a candidate for the loan. If you're going to blame Obama, you must also blame Bush.


  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Deal with the fact that China is having an economic war against us. However, it was initially the Bush administration that chose Solyndra as a candidate for the loan. If you're going to blame Obama, you must also blame Bush.
    Nobody denies that. Nobody with any sense denies that the Bush administration deemed them a poor risk and decided against giving them money.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,302

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Deal with the fact that China is having an economic war against us. However, it was initially the Bush administration that chose Solyndra as a candidate for the loan. If you're going to blame Obama, you must also blame Bush.
    Being a candidate and getting the money are two different things. Bush didn't cost us over 500 million dollars with Solyndra as he found them not to be a good risk. Like with everything else, "your" President doesn't have a clue as to what he is doing.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •