Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 80

Thread: Solyndra shuts its doors

  1. #21
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    One of the new and awesome green companies--in [1] the non-existant green industry- that is going to wreckover the American economy is going belly up. 12 months ago, they were the bright shining star, according to The One. 12 months later, they've blown through [2] a half-a-billion dollars in tax payer funded loans and produced exactly, nothing.

    [3] Someone needs to go to prison over this.

    But, we know that the DOJ is too busy worrying about ATT&T buying another wireless company and Gibson buying wood to worry about [4] this level of fraud and waste.

    Solyndra shuts its doors « Hot Air
    1. If the green industry is "non-existant", then why are the green companies that are failing -- including Solyndra -- citing cheap foreign competition as a source of their problems? ("Solyndra could not achieve full-scale operations rapidly enough to compete in the near term with the resources of larger foreign manufacturers. This competitive challenge was exacerbated by a global oversupply of solar panels and a severe compression of prices that in part resulted from uncertainty in governmental incentive programs in Europe and the decline in credit markets that finance solar systems" [Solyndra Press Release {Word document}]). Could it not be said that supporters of race-to-the-bottom free trade are as responsible as anyone for the bankruptcy of domestic manufacturers such as Solyndra, as well as the supporters of unregulated-big-business policies that allowed the current boom/bust credit crisis to germinate?

    "[1-13-2011] Massachusetts-based solar company Evergreen Solar, Inc. (NasdaqCM: ESLRD) announced its intent to shut down operations at its Devens, Massachusetts manufacturing facility by the end of 1Q11. The company will layoff about 800 workers.[...] falling prices, driven by high-capacity competition in China undermined the new facility--despite the fact that it produces a unique solar cell technology, called "string-ribbon" which requires less silicon to produce than standard crystalline solar cells.

    Mr. El-Hillow added, “Although production costs at our Devens facility have steadily decreased, and are now below originally planned levels and lower than most western manufacturers, they are still much higher than those of our low cost competitors in China." (source)

    2. Your own source says that most of the half-billion was used to construct a new manufacturing facility ("The money went to build a massive new facility"). How is that, exactly, "nothing"?

    3. Would you care to illuminate us as to exactly what laws were broken? Should there be a trial first, or do you consider that an unnecessary hindrance?

    4. Would you care to describe and document the fraud?

    I hereby retract my previous observation about certain groups being opposed to hyperbole . . . . .

  2. #22
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    1. If the green industry is "non-existant", then why are the green companies that are failing -- including Solyndra -- citing cheap foreign competition as a source of their problems? ("Solyndra could not achieve full-scale operations rapidly enough to compete in the near term with the resources of larger foreign manufacturers. This competitive challenge was exacerbated by a global oversupply of solar panels and a severe compression of prices that in part resulted from uncertainty in governmental incentive programs in Europe and the decline in credit markets that finance solar systems" [Solyndra Press Release {Word document}]). Could it not be said that supporters of race-to-the-bottom free trade are as responsible as anyone for the bankruptcy of domestic manufacturers such as Solyndra, as well as the supporters of unregulated-big-business policies that allowed the current boom/bust credit crisis to germinate?

    "[1-13-2011] Massachusetts-based solar company Evergreen Solar, Inc. (NasdaqCM: ESLRD) announced its intent to shut down operations at its Devens, Massachusetts manufacturing facility by the end of 1Q11. The company will layoff about 800 workers.[...] falling prices, driven by high-capacity competition in China undermined the new facility--despite the fact that it produces a unique solar cell technology, called "string-ribbon" which requires less silicon to produce than standard crystalline solar cells.

    Mr. El-Hillow added, “Although production costs at our Devens facility have steadily decreased, and are now below originally planned levels and lower than most western manufacturers, they are still much higher than those of our low cost competitors in China." (source)

    2. Your own source says that most of the half-billion was used to construct a new manufacturing facility ("The money went to build a massive new facility"). How is that, exactly, "nothing"?

    3. Would you care to illuminate us as to exactly what laws were broken? Should there be a trial first, or do you consider that an unnecessary hindrance?

    4. Would you care to describe and document the fraud?

    I hereby retract my previous observation about certain groups being opposed to hyperbole . . . . .
    Post some numbers as to how many of those products are being imported into the United States. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Post some numbers as to how many of those products are being imported into the United States. Thanks in advance.
    Since your argument consists of inferring that the two different solar panel manufacturers that I quoted are lying, I think the burden of proof at this point is upon you.

    Furthermore, since your argument also infers that cheap Chinese imports are not detrimental to domestic manufacturing in general, I think the credibility of your argument is beyond rehabilitation.

    Lastly, a review of the materials I've already provided would reveal that Evergreen Solar itself operates a Chinese facility, and will continue to do so after shuttering it's Massachusetts facility, further obviating any need for additional documentation of the detrimental nature of cheap, effectively-foreign-gov't-subsidized offshore imports:

    Evergreen Solar will continue to operate its high temperature filament plant in Midland, Michigan and its wafer facility in Wuhan, China. With approximately 75 megawatts of installed wafer capacity in Wuhan, the Company will continue to supply its outsourcing partner with wafers for conversion into Evergreen Solar branded solar panels.

    Evergreen Solar Gives Up on U.S. Manufacturing (previously cited in post #20)

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Since your argument consists of inferring that the two different solar panel manufacturers that I quoted are lying, I think the burden of proof at this point is upon you.

    Furthermore, since your argument also infers that cheap Chinese imports are not detrimental to domestic manufacturing in general, I think the credibility of your argument is beyond rehabilitation.

    Lastly, a review of the materials I've already provided would reveal that Evergreen Solar itself operates a Chinese facility, and will continue to do so after shuttering it's Massachusetts facility, further obviating any need for additional documentation of the detrimental nature of cheap, effectively-foreign-gov't-subsidized offshore imports:
    Youll find in your time here, that certain wooden skulls wont absorb knocks at the door after so long.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    Youll find in your time here, that certain wooden skulls wont absorb knocks at the door after so long.
    Knocking on the door is the fun part. The occasional answer is often merely icing on the cake of hilarity

  6. #26
    Holy Crap!
    Red Crow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hawaii, USA
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 11:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,429

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    This is another car for clunkers scheme, what can I say....Obamanomics.
    Last edited by Red Crow; 09-04-11 at 08:54 PM.
    Catch me if you can.

  7. #27
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Knocking on the door is the fun part. The occasional answer is often merely icing on the cake of hilarity
    I guess that why all the Left wing ideas have so far, failed; because the Lefties have it all figured out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #28
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Since your argument consists of inferring that the two different solar panel manufacturers that I quoted are lying, I think the burden of proof at this point is upon you.

    Furthermore, since your argument also infers that cheap Chinese imports are not detrimental to domestic manufacturing in general, I think the credibility of your argument is beyond rehabilitation.

    Lastly, a review of the materials I've already provided would reveal that Evergreen Solar itself operates a Chinese facility, and will continue to do so after shuttering it's Massachusetts facility, further obviating any need for additional documentation of the detrimental nature of cheap, effectively-foreign-gov't-subsidized offshore imports:
    IOW, there is no green industry in the United States? Yes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #29
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Crow View Post
    This is another car for clunkers scheme, what can I say....Obamanomics.
    Cash for clunkers, I had forgotten all about that. Thanks for reminding me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Crow View Post
    This is another car for clunkers scheme, what can I say....Obamanomics.
    Cash for clunkers, I had forgotten all about that. Thanks for reminding me.
    Thanks for posting the correct terminology.... I was really biting my tongue

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •