Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 80

Thread: Solyndra shuts its doors

  1. #11
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You would be correct, if not for the fact that 4 green companies have gone belly up this year.
    SE102 summed it up well, and I am not sure you have any idea what money laundering is. You remind me of Charlie from Sunny in Philly talking about the mysterious "vig". Hey apdst, since you are an expert on the green energy market, what percentage of the market share has gone under? I know you have no idea so it is a rhetorical question (ie. you don't have to answer because I know you do not know the answer).

    *Edit to add:

    Also by your logic, banks do not work either, since almost all of our major ones failed in 2008 and had to be bailed out. Here is a list of (a few of the) banks (lenders) that had to be bailed out or shut their doors in 2008:1

    1) Allco Finance Group
    2) Countrywide Financial
    3) IndyMac Bank
    4) Lehman Brothers
    5) Madoff Investment Securities
    6) Yamato Life Insurance Company
    7) Wachovia
    8) et al

    Just to name a few. Or, from the same link, Airlines in 2008:

    1) Aloha Airlines
    2) Apex Aircraft
    3) ATA Airlines
    4) eos Airlines
    5) Frontier Airlines
    6) Silver State Helicopters
    7) Silverjet
    8) Skybus Airlines
    9) et al

    I guess banks and airlines are a lost cause (and airlines are subsidized!). Great call man!
    Last edited by whysoserious; 09-01-11 at 11:49 PM.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  2. #12
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    SE102 summed it up well, and I am not sure you have any idea what money laundering is. You remind me of Charlie from Sunny in Philly talking about the mysterious "vig". Hey apdst, since you are an expert on the green energy market, what percentage of the market share has gone under? I know you have no idea so it is a rhetorical question (ie. you don't have to answer because I know you do not know the answer).

    *Edit to add:

    Also by your logic, banks do not work either, since almost all of our major ones failed in 2008 and had to be bailed out. Here is a list of (a few of the) banks (lenders) that had to be bailed out or shut their doors in 2008:1

    1) Allco Finance Group
    2) Countrywide Financial
    3) IndyMac Bank
    4) Lehman Brothers
    5) Madoff Investment Securities
    6) Yamato Life Insurance Company
    7) Wachovia
    8) et al

    Just to name a few. Or, from the same link, Airlines in 2008:

    1) Aloha Airlines
    2) Apex Aircraft
    3) ATA Airlines
    4) eos Airlines
    5) Frontier Airlines
    6) Silver State Helicopters
    7) Silverjet
    8) Skybus Airlines
    9) et al

    I guess banks and airlines are a lost cause (and airlines are subsidized!). Great call man!
    That is one lame assed argument.

    Which one of those companies received a half-billion dollars in government handouts and flopped within 12 months?

    Aren't Libbos opposed to corporate welfare?
    Last edited by apdst; 09-02-11 at 01:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Well it's to the strategic ends of reducing dependency on fossil fuels, so... no most of them wouldn't be opposed.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst, in the OP View Post
    One of the new and awesome green companies-- [1] in the non-existant green industry- that is going to wreckover the American economy is going belly up. 12 months ago, they were the bright shining star, according to The One. 12 months later, they've blown through a half-a-billion dollars in tax payer funded loans and [2] produced exactly, nothing.

    [3] Someone needs to go to prison over this. But, we know that the DOJ is too busy worrying about ATT&T buying another wireless company and Gibson buying wood to worry about [4] this level of fraud and waste. Solyndra shuts its doors Hot Air
    1. If the green industry is "non-existant", why are the solar cell companies that have recently gone under -- such as Solyndra -- (indirectly) citing cheap imports from China as a contributing cause of their failure?
    Quote Originally Posted by Solyndra/NBC
    Solyndra could not achieve full-scale operations rapidly enough to compete in the near term with the resources of larger foreign manufacturers. This competitive challenge was exacerbated by a global oversupply of solar panels and a severe compression of prices that in part resulted from uncertainty in governmental incentive programs in Europe and the decline in credit markets that finance solar systems. [source (Word document)]
    2. My understanding is that the loan was used to construct a new manufacturing facility. Your argument is that this facility is "nothing"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Air
    The money went to build a massive new facility [...] source]
    3. Would you like to tell us what laws were broken?

    4. Would you care to specifically describe the "fraud", and

    4b. Would you care to specifically describe the "waste"?

    Unless and until those defects in your argument are addressed, you really have no argument, but merely a partisan rant. Hardly surprising, considering the source of your material (Hot Air; aptly named if nothing else ).

  5. #15
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    That's another half a day in Iraq blown on a green company.
    Apparently Congress approved both didn't they. Are you voting against your Democrat friends who supported this bankrupt company? Iraq has a democratic govt now, btw. But this isn't about derailing a thread, like you are so famous for doing.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #16
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Is that really the best response you have?

    Not a single logical explanation as to why the green energy industry is folding up, taking with it billions in tax dollars?
    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Sensationalism at it's best. Well done, sir. Did you have to get a degree to learn that or does it just come naturally?
    Liberalism at its best. No substance....
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  7. #17
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    Well it's to the strategic ends of reducing dependency on fossil fuels, so... no most of them wouldn't be opposed.
    Is that the essence of Obama's Porkulus II package coming soon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  8. #18
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    Well it's to the strategic ends of reducing dependency on fossil fuels, so... no most of them wouldn't be opposed.
    How's it working, so far? I mean, at this rate, we should be off of fossil fuels in, how many decades and trillions of wasted tax dollars?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Apparently Congress approved both didn't they. Are you voting against your Democrat friends who supported this bankrupt company? Iraq has a democratic govt now, btw. But this isn't about derailing a thread, like you are so famous for doing.
    Yes, they have a democratic govt that democratically wants us to gtfo, I digress.

    Golly should I vote republican for a completely strategic blunder of an unecessary war? Or vote democrat for wasting the equivalent of a few days in that war in funding? Not to mention nobody died...
    Really hard choice /s/ your point struck me so strongly... /s/

  10. #20
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Solyndra shuts its doors

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    [...] Aren't Libbos opposed to corporate welfare?
    You've made no rational argument that a gov't guaranteed loan is corporate welfare.

    Aren't Conos opposed to hyperbole?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •