Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 182

Thread: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

  1. #31
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    Quote Originally Posted by ThinktownUSA View Post
    Maybe the new mandate convinced some to get OFF drugs. The higher % demographic of drug users matches that of higher % of welfare recipients. I find it hard to believe welfare recipients in FL are the exception.
    Well - if I was a drug addict and broke I wouldn't try to fool the system, I'd just avoid the system completely
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    One note... every time there's a conversation about welfare, we hear about people who abuse the system.

    What I want to emphasize is this: in any system of welfare, there are going to be people who abuse the system, and there will be other people who are left out, fall through the cracks. You can't draw your line magically perfectly in the middle because the groups overlap.

    So would you rather have a system that incorporates and assists too many people, and has some sponging off? Or would you rather have a system that helps too few people, and we get starving kids in the streets?

    I'm okay with a few bad stories of sponges here and there. I've had friends who were on welfare as kids... because of it, they had something to eat before school, and now they're smart, functioning and helpful members of society. In other words it did the public good. And now they're paying taxes so some other people can get a hand up when they need it. And I'm glad.

  3. #33
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,104

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    Both drug testing and welfare both have serious constitutional issues.
    .....as do maintaining a standing military and starting wars in foreign lands.... just saying. Things are what they are. Thinking that the evolution of the United States has been done outside of the Constitution, well, that also is debateable as to fact, as to significance and as to remedy.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 08-29-11 at 12:40 AM.

  4. #34
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,104

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    One note... every time there's a conversation about welfare, we hear about people who abuse the system.

    What I want to emphasize is this: in any system of welfare, there are going to be people who abuse the system, and there will be other people who are left out, fall through the cracks. You can't draw your line magically perfectly in the middle because the groups overlap.

    So would you rather have a system that incorporates and assists too many people, and has some sponging off? Or would you rather have a system that helps too few people, and we get starving kids in the streets?

    I'm okay with a few bad stories of sponges here and there. I've had friends who were on welfare as kids... because of it, they had something to eat before school, and now they're smart, functioning and helpful members of society. In other words it did the public good. And now they're paying taxes so some other people can get a hand up when they need it. And I'm glad.
    Every government program has some level of abuse, including Welfare, Medicare, Homeland Security and Defense Spending. In fact, the abuse in the Pentagon probably dwarfs the abuse in all other government programs put together. Didn't Donald Rumsfield complain about missing $2.3 Trillion?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU4GdHLUHwU

    You do not stop a program because of abuse; you fix the abuse problem.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 08-29-11 at 12:45 AM.

  5. #35
    User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Last Seen
    08-29-11 @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    66

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    Instead of wasting even more money on drug testing, just eliminate welfare.

    End of story!

  6. #36
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,104

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    Quote Originally Posted by dadrone View Post
    Instead of wasting even more money on drug testing, just eliminate welfare.

    End of story!
    You have to love Cons, they have such simple answers to a extremely complex problems.

    What would you propose to do instead? Unfortunately, your solution would be the beginning of another story.

  7. #37
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    Why is it so important that unemployed people don't get high in their spare time? They have serious problems. They need something to make it easier. Why is it so important to deny them some pleasure?
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #38
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    Quote Originally Posted by dadrone View Post
    Instead of wasting even more money on drug testing, just eliminate welfare.

    End of story!
    Why do you hate humans so very much? We cannot simply eliminate welfare as that would result in the deaths of babies, children and adults. Do you wish to live in a country that does not care about the people here? I do not.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  9. #39
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Why is it so important that unemployed people don't get high in their spare time? They have serious problems. They need something to make it easier. Why is it so important to deny them some pleasure?
    Because if they can afford that crap then they don't need to be collecting welfare! If they're honestly stupid enough to spend their money on drugs when they need to buy food then I have no sympathy for them if they starve.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  10. #40
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Why do you hate humans so very much? We cannot simply eliminate welfare as that would result in the deaths of babies, children and adults. Do you wish to live in a country that does not care about the people here? I do not.
    The fact of the matter is that a good portion of those on welfare don't "need" it. Furthermore, people on welfare need to have a plug put in them to prevent having kids until they're off welfare. It shouldn't take a mathematician to explain to them that if they can't afford to take care of themselves then they can't afford a kid!
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •