Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 182

Thread: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

  1. #141
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Some denominations don't. Everyone has their own interpretation, they all think theirs is right and others are wrong. Personally, I tend to save most of my religious slams on the Catholics. Sorry, but they just set themselves up way too easily.

    It's a broad spectrum. Some are pro-life, some are pro-choice. Some are pro-capital punishment, some are anti. They all choose to align themselves as Christians though.

    Whether it makes sense or not doesn't qualify as a basis for assigning this nation as "Christian". If sense played a larger role, religion wouldn't be as pervasive as it is.
    As a Catholic, I appreciate that. Somethings I think are less uniform than others, but the trinity is fundamental to the faith. The line between vengence from the old testement and compassion in the new testement is open to some discussion. Less so with fundamental tentants like Jesus was God in as man.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dixieland South
    Last Seen
    10-11-11 @ 09:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    364

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    Got that right!!!.....Everyone is told when their going to be tested ahead of time. What a joke.

  3. #143
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,729

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Perhaps for the same reason people began to complain about the cost of employee benefits packages for state employees - it became a rallying cry for "big government" and "big government spending". As such, enough people in positions of political power raised enough noise to convince people that welfare recipients are this "dredge on society". Kinda goes with that old saying, "if you say it often enough and loud enough eventually the lie becomes the truth".

    So, what do the preliminary numbers tell us?

    1. That there are tens of thousands of Floridians who are on state welfare who still need it.

    2. That the vast majority of applicants who have applied for TANF since the mandatory drug testing program has come into effect very likely are not habitual drug users as some have suggested.

    3. That those potential applicants who may be drug users may have refrained from applying for state benefits out of fear of being caught and subsequently losing said benefits.

    Other than the above, there's very little one can take away from the preliminary numbers. However, as I said in my last post the fact that over 90,000 Floridians still applied for TANF and the numbers from July-August are only 8.3% off the yearly average tells me that there are still more applicants out there who don't mind being tested likely because they don't have anything to hide.

    Give the process time...another year or two of testing should illustrate just how right or wrong the orchestrators of Florida's drug testing law are.
    Except for the reality that states have decades worth of debt to prove their rallying cry vs the first few months of this program, i dont necessarily disagree with your post. there ARE thousands that need the services...MOST are legit. Many that are not legit require greater motivation for change. Those that are illegaly or imporperly accessing those resources prohibit those that need them from recieving them.

    people really should read the links and the associated articles. the $178 million dollar price tag is the total cost of welfare in the state...not the cost of drug testing.

  4. #144
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Except for the reality that states have decades worth of debt to prove their rallying cry vs the first few months of this program, i dont necessarily disagree with your post. there ARE thousands that need the services...MOST are legit. Many that are not legit require greater motivation for change. Those that are illegaly or imporperly accessing those resources prohibit those that need them from recieving them.

    people really should read the links and the associated articles. the $178 million dollar price tag is the total cost of welfare in the state...not the cost of drug testing.
    It's a false assumption to attriute blame for the cost of any one state's deficit woes on social programs alone. There are lots of reasons many states are in financial disarray. Yes, the cost of social programs are part of it, but there's also the poor structure of their budgets, poor investments, not funding infrastructure repairs in a timely manner, not collecting sufficient tax revenues from retail merchants who may not be headquartered in the state but do business within the state, poor property tax laws, no sales tax at all, etc., etc.

    There are tons of revenue and expense issues to look at; social programs are just one slice of the economic pie. Unfortunately, too often they are demonized as the sole cause of economic programs and not as one factor among many.

  5. #145
    User ThinktownUSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    08-03-12 @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    43
    The fact that those 2% still submitted to the test even though they had done drugs shows how stupid - or most likely HIGH - they were.

  6. #146
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    Quote Originally Posted by ThinktownUSA View Post
    The fact that those 2% still submitted to the test even though they had done drugs shows how stupid - or most likely HIGH - they were.
    Could mean lots of things. Drug tests have false positives sometimes. My understanding is that somebody who ate poppy seed muffins, was prescribed painkillers, or even some couch syrups might potentially test positive for opiates for example. Also, you have situations where somebody was sitting in a room where somebody was smoking pot and inhaled some of the smoke even though they didn't smoke themselves. Or people who got high like a month ago and assumed it was out of their system. Or people who are just desperate enough to give it a try even if they thought it was more likely that they would fail the test.

  7. #147
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    1) I'm not going on a trip to the "hood". Hell with that. Princes don't walk with paupers. Pardon me for not wishing I was a "brutha".

    2) Alot of them do live relatively "high on the hog", for lack of better terms. I know women right now on all sorts of government assistance from A to Z that have their own place. They get some high-ticket items at the grocery store. They're afforded lots of things I wouldn't buy because of price tags (part of that is because I'm a cheap mofo, but that's beside the point). This should not be allowed. I know people who work full-time and live with parents or family due to lack of finances. To see these women with multiple kids, not working or working part-time, with their own place is just a giant "Fck you" sign to others who aren't remotely as irresponsible.

    3) You need to stop trying to "represent" for your "peoples". This white race apologist mad-at-daddy crap is just annoying. If you want to go hang with the ghetto, drink malt liquor and shoot dice all day, that's fine. Hands off my tax money. You can stay in hovel without your hand in my pocket.
    You sound rather jealous of folks living off the system and I telling you there is no need to be mad or jealous. You have bought into a sterotype and your white rage is rather disgusting.

    BTW, you have never explained to me why the think I am mad at my Daddy. I love him and am a Daddys Girl. Get the hell off that mess.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  8. #148
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Kali is not the one you want to look up to. She wouldn't know economic theory if it pimp-slapped her. She comes on here with these emotional pleas, pretty much asking everyone with money to write a blank check to help people who don't deserve, nor have tried to better their situations. She just acts like the town crier for redistribution, mostly as a push for reparations I'm led to believe. Financially, she speaks in a manner likening her to someone who has never worked, nor paid taxes ever.
    I have worked since I was 16 years old so shut your damn mouth talking as if you "know" me.. You know Nothing about me and I bust my ass daily so you best check your white cheap ass boy!

    Don't try to act as if you know anything about me based on a few posts I make on a messgare board. I am a modern day person that will scream for civil rights, fair treatment and help for those in need.

    You? Come off as a loser than only cares about yourself.
    Last edited by Kali; 09-03-11 at 11:57 PM.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  9. #149
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    ....We were not a 3rd world country, but then Reaganomics came along. We are not Mexico north, with 400 families running the country.

    Who Rules America: Wealth, Income, and Power
    Oh yes the crap theory if you make the rich richer it will rain down on all the poor folks. What a load of crap as that trickle down does not trick at all.
    Last edited by Kali; 09-04-11 at 12:05 AM.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: 98 Percent of Welfare Applicants Pass Drug Test

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    I really wish I could take you on a trip to real hoods to see how people live! Children do sometimes only eat beans and bread and at the end of the month that could be their only meal. You are one of those that have decided just because there is a small few that rip off the system that everyone else on welfare are living high off the hog when that is not the case!

    You have been duped and are brainwashed towards those evil poor folks on welfare simply cause you have bought into some twisted untrue view that the majority of folks on welfare are living nice, lazy and eating good. It is simply not true! You have fell for a sterotype!!
    I lived in the "hood". I don't remember it. It was somewhere around 79th and Euclid avenue in Cleveland Ohio. This was well before the Cleveland Clinic built in that area. My dad worked on Hough Avenue. They had squat but they knew that they wanted something better than 79th and Euclid. We moved to a dinky trailer in the suburbs. My dad constantly looked for a better job and was able to get on with Cleveland Crane. Luckily he continued to try and better his situation as they went under in the early 80's but he had already been gone from there.

    People can find rare circumstances where things absolutely out of your control happen but your life is what you make it.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •