Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Seven Ways Rick Perry wants to change the Constitution.

  1. #1
    Educator U.S. Socialist.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    04-18-12 @ 04:55 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    913

    Seven Ways Rick Perry wants to change the Constitution.

    I admit I'd support the first one, but the other six are utterly stupid in my opinion. Here is the link: Seven ways Rick Perry wants to change the Constitution | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

  2. #2
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Seven Ways Rick Perry wants to change the Constitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Socialist. View Post
    I admit I'd support the first one, but the other six are utterly stupid in my opinion. Here is the link: Seven ways Rick Perry wants to change the Constitution | The Ticket - Yahoo! News
    Now, Perry says the book he wrote was meant to be factual.

    Just One Week Into His Campaign, Rick Perry Disavows His Nine-Month-Old Book | ThinkProgress

  3. #3
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Seven Ways Rick Perry wants to change the Constitution.

    1. Abolish lifetime tenure for federal judges by amending Article III, Section I of the Constitution.

    -- disagree, because while there is a problem in the judicial system, the answer is NOT to introduce the idea that populism will interpret the Constitution. Ideally, justices and lower court judges would make their decisions strictly on the Constitution, the law and precedent -- this change is not the remedy to the current problem, but may, in fact, be even worse.

    2. Congress should have the power to override Supreme Court decisions with a two-thirds vote.

    --- definately, no. The Constitution is not a popularity contest. People would call their representatives to overturn a decision that was unpopular, yet entirely in keeping with the Constitution.

    3. Scrap the federal income tax by repealing the Sixteenth Amendment.

    -- and replace it with the Fair Tax

    4. End the direct election of senators by repealing the Seventeenth Amendment.

    -- The House was meant to be the people's house while the Senate was meant to represent the States. The elimination of that representation has resulted in a serious imbalance in power between the federal level and the State governments that would have the founding fathers rolling in their graves.

    5. Require the federal government to balance its budget every year.

    -- SOUNDS like a good idea, but it really isn't. This does not allow for emergency or war spending. We could never have fought a world war so hamstrung by such a provision. Really very shortsighted.

    6. The federal Constitution should define marriage as between one man and one woman in all 50 states.

    -- While I agree with the sentiment, marriage has traditionally been something handled by the states. I see no compelling reason to change that.

    7. Abortion should be made illegal throughout the country.

    -- While the Constitutional grounds for Roe v. Wade are weak, before the decision, it was a matter that was left up to the states. It should return there.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  4. #4
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: Seven Ways Rick Perry wants to change the Constitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    1. Abolish lifetime tenure for federal judges by amending Article III, Section I of the Constitution.

    -- disagree, because while there is a problem in the judicial system, the answer is NOT to introduce the idea that populism will interpret the Constitution. Ideally, justices and lower court judges would make their decisions strictly on the Constitution, the law and precedent -- this change is not the remedy to the current problem, but may, in fact, be even worse.
    Agreed. Making judges worried about re-election isn't going to make their rulings better.

    2. Congress should have the power to override Supreme Court decisions with a two-thirds vote.

    --- definately, no. The Constitution is not a popularity contest. People would call their representatives to overturn a decision that was unpopular, yet entirely in keeping with the Constitution.
    Definitely agree. Checks and balances exist for a good ****in reason.

    3. Scrap the federal income tax by repealing the Sixteenth Amendment.

    -- and replace it with the Fair Tax
    Disagree. Fair tax is actually regressive because the poor have no choice but to spend most or all of their income on basic subsistence.

    4. End the direct election of senators by repealing the Seventeenth Amendment.

    -- The House was meant to be the people's house while the Senate was meant to represent the States. The elimination of that representation has resulted in a serious imbalance in power between the federal level and the State governments that would have the founding fathers rolling in their graves.
    I think direct election of senators puts the power in the hands of the people and I see no reason that should be changed.

    5. Require the federal government to balance its budget every year.

    -- SOUNDS like a good idea, but it really isn't. This does not allow for emergency or war spending. We could never have fought a world war so hamstrung by such a provision. Really very shortsighted.
    Agreed. The same people who think we need to "fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here" seem to not realize that needs to be paid for.

    6. The federal Constitution should define marriage as between one man and one woman in all 50 states.

    -- While I agree with the sentiment, marriage has traditionally been something handled by the states. I see no compelling reason to change that.
    Full Faith and Credit seems like a compelling enough reason to me!

    7. Abortion should be made illegal throughout the country.

    -- While the Constitutional grounds for Roe v. Wade are weak, before the decision, it was a matter that was left up to the states. It should return there.
    Disagree. That would just result in people traveling to shady states with weak laws for abortions, the same reason all of those credit card offers you get in the mail come from South Dakota.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #5
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,126

    Re: Seven Ways Rick Perry wants to change the Constitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Socialist. View Post
    I admit I'd support the first one, but the other six are utterly stupid in my opinion. Here is the link: Seven ways Rick Perry wants to change the Constitution | The Ticket - Yahoo! News
    I just love these strict constitutionalists that feel the need to change the Constitution.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 08-24-11 at 02:13 AM.

  6. #6
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Seven Ways Rick Perry wants to change the Constitution.

    I disagree with all of these. Some more vehemently than others. Fortunately the Chief Executive has pretty much no power to make changes to the Constitution. A Texas governor has even less.

  7. #7
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Seven Ways Rick Perry wants to change the Constitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post

    Disagree. Fair tax is actually regressive because the poor have no choice but to spend most or all of their income on basic subsistence.
    Actually, for anyone who makes less than the poverty line, they will pay LESS in taxes than now because all of the tax will be refunded on that amount and there will be no FICA taxes.

    I think direct election of senators puts the power in the hands of the people and I see no reason that should be changed.
    That is what the House of Representatives was designed for.


    Full Faith and Credit seems like a compelling enough reason to me!
    Last time we tried to impose morality in the Constitution, things didn't work out so well.


    Disagree. That would just result in people traveling to shady states with weak laws for abortions, the same reason all of those credit card offers you get in the mail come from South Dakota.
    Actually, it is more like states like California, Massachusetts, New York and others that would likely continue the legality of abortion. Those aren't shady states in my book. Still, is there a Constitutional basis for right right to kill an unborn child? Like many other rulings over the past fifty years, it is based on highly questionable stretching of the Constitution.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  8. #8
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Seven Ways Rick Perry wants to change the Constitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    I just love these strict constitutionalists that feel the need to change the Constitution.
    You know that the Constitution has provisions to change it. Thus, seeking to change it is within the realm of strict constitutionalism, unlike changing it by judicial fiat...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  9. #9
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Seven Ways Rick Perry wants to change the Constitution.

    Several of these are reasons I do not back Perry. 2 or 3 are okay but others are questionable and go to far.

  10. #10
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,542

    Re: Seven Ways Rick Perry wants to change the Constitution.

    1. Abolish lifetime tenure for federal judges by amending Article III, Section I of the Constitution.

    Yes, but replace it with 20-year terms to they won't have to become populists and worry about reelection for a very long time

    2. Congress should have the power to override Supreme Court decisions with a two-thirds vote.

    Definitely no, it would create a power imbalance between the legislative and judicial branches. Also, politicians make poor judges, especially in today's hyperpartisan politics



    3. Scrap the federal income tax by repealing the Sixteenth Amendment.


    No. There are many reasons as to why I disagree, the most chief among them that it will take a huge chunk out of US revenue and the need to consult the states about how the taxes will be spent will take too long, create a bureaucracy, and the approval of all 50 states on somethings like nation-wide defense, infrastructure, etc... will take too long



    4. End the direct election of senators by repealing the Seventeenth Amendment.


    What happened to the people's rights to vote?

    5. Require the federal government to balance its budget every year.

    Yes, but under one condition: In times of emergency, war, or immediate-pending disasters, the federal government can have a budget 250% of its revenue

    6. The federal Constitution should define marriage as between one man and one woman in all 50 states.

    Definitely no. Restricts freedom, disrespect human rights, etc...



    7. Abortion should be made illegal throughout the country.

    Mixed. Personally, I feel that abortion should be only allowed in cases of rape or danger to health of mother, so I have a mixed opinion about this
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •