Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 272

Thread: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

  1. #261
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    BS Wall Street is the largest ponzi scheme ever divised, For the insiders Wall Street is like going to Atlantic City and knowing which one arm bandits are ready to pay off, those out of the loop put money in and those in the loop take it out
    Here's how you control excessive speculation:

    H.R. 2003 will deter speculation by raising the cost to bet on oil markets. By charging a miniscule 0.01 percent tax on each transaction, excessive speculation would become too expensive and risky. Discouraging excessive oil speculation will lower gas prices up to 80 cents a gallon because it does not tax oil, just Wall Street speculators.
    DEFAZIO FIGHTS FOR LOWER GAS PRICES BY REINING IN SPECULATION

  2. #262
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Here's how you control excessive speculation:



    DEFAZIO FIGHTS FOR LOWER GAS PRICES BY REINING IN SPECULATION
    Speculating is one way that the rich steal from the middle class and the poor and needy, speculating on all life essential products should be illegal. Wall Street needs to be looked at with a microscope.

  3. #263
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Iím on the fence about oil speculation, I hear both sides of the issue but canít make up my mind on it yet which is very unusual for me, I am nothing if not opinionated.
    The problem with speculation isn't the act itself, its the fact that to speculate you only need something like 10% of the money you are actually spending on the product upfront.
    Hayek - too liberal for republicans

  4. #264
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevergolfpar View Post
    Let me address these separately.
    China has started to heavily regulate in favor of environmental protection.
    Hayek - too liberal for republicans

  5. #265
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    I want to hear how Hannity supports the $2 thing. He is the best professional BSer around.
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  6. #266
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    Quote Originally Posted by nijato View Post
    I'm so confused... I thought corporations were people too?

    If I'm not mistaken, "corporatism" is a euphamism for fascism... but we can't call it that, can we...
    I do, to those stupid enough to consider Social Security to be Marxism.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #267
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,424

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevergolfpar View Post
    Let me address these separately. The Bakken Formation in ND and Montana have an estimate 3.775 Billion Barrels of recoverable oil currently according to the USGS. Furthermore it is estimated that this oil could be extracted at a mere $16 per barrel. I am not talking about shale oil, I am talking about proven and viably ex tractable oil using current technology. These numbers increase exponentially as technologies in this area advance. Regardless, at a cost basis of only $16 per barrel your assertion that the ND oil boom would bust should the world market price for oil drop any further south than $100 per barrel, is not only misleading, it is outright wrong.

    You mean ending regulations in much the same way as the Chinese government has? Here is a link to a picture of an oil derrick from the big bad non-regulated Chinese:
    http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/00654/oil_rigs_china-s_654587cl-8.jpg
    I don't see any of the 'following of the lands' as you alluded to. Is this what you were alluding to when you suggested "The end result would be our oil fields would look like the oil fields in nations that don't have those "governmental / legal regulations". Please leave the sensationalized posts to the NY Times.

    As for air quality, here is what modern day China looks like--I'm not seeing any pollution....
    Google ImagesBut then again in the highly regulated United States we surly will not see any non-breathable air. How about a picture of modern day Los Angeles. Governmental regulations saves lives right?
    Los Angeles California Downtown Mountains Plane Smog | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Please...I can play your game too.

    By the way, I have been to China many times. Hong Kong is by far the most beautiful city I have been to in the world. As for your assertion that you cannot hear the birds in the parks in China, I'm calling you a liar. Look there goes a flock of birds now (see link below) somewhere close to Hong Kong...I can almost hear them crying 'fowl' to your sensationalism even from here in my very polluted yet regulated homeland.
    Dscf0707.jpg photo - vincent chan photos at pbase.com
    Maybe next time when you try to discredit my original post you will actually attempt to engage me in a well thought out rebuttal as opposed to the tomfoolery you are attempting to pass off as fact.
    I never in thousands of posts on here called anyone a liar, but I am pretty sure you are a liar. You say you have been the China many times, and mention going to Hong Kong.

    I have been to Shanghai, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, and Nanchang. I have spent a few days in Hong Kong, and a few days in Shanghai. I have cumulatively spent a few weeks in Guangzhou and Nanchang. You are right that Hong Kong is a beautiful city. From Kowloon, It has one of the most striking skylines on earth. However, thanks to all of the industry along the Pearl River Delta, air pollution in Hong Kong far exceeds any U.S. city. Air pollution in Hong Kong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    There are days in Hong Kong when the air is so foul that many people walk around wearing face masks to help filter out the particulates in the air. One day I ran up the mountains above central Hong Kong, the smog was so thick that day that from the top of Victoria Peak, you could only see the tallest buildings, and Kowloon across the harbor was not even visible.

    Shanghai is literally one of the most polluted cities on the face of the earth. No U.S. city even remotely compares with it.

    Due to rapid industrial and economic development, as well as lax governmental environment policies, Shanghai has recently been ranked as one of the most polluted cities in the world. Individuals with asthma or respiratory issues should be prepared when visiting the city.
    Study in Shanghai, China - Study In China

    There are days in Shanghai when the pollution is so thick that you can hardly see Pudong from the Bund.

    In 2006 I spent a week in Nanchang, China and despite there being clear skies, never one time saw the sun. I spent a week there again in 2009. Because of recent rains washing particulates from the air, there were days when you could see the sky, but only by looking directly overhead, a brown haze still engulfed the city.

    I have spent time in Guangzhou as well. Same story, the only time you could see a blue sky was after it rained and the particulates were washed from the air. One day while there I hiked to the top of White Cloud Mountain and could only see a few miles because of the smog, and that was one of the clearest days I was there.

    Even flying over China you notice the pollution, most of the time you cannot see the ground from the air, even over rural areas a persistent smoggy haze obscures the ground from the air. The Chinese people live in an environment that is incomprehensible to westerners that have never visited the country. They never see the kind of blue skies we enjoy here. They don't have the unspoiled wilderness we still have in places here. Unpolluted water is practically nonexistent there. Much of the country is an environmental wasteland, more spoiled and polluted than anywhere in the United States. Which is why I am pretty sure you have never traveled there, because the pollution there is not just something I noticed, its something that every westerner talks about that has visited the country. The common theme one hears again and again is that "its a great country to visit with all of the culture and history, but the pollution was absolutely horrible".

    If you want to hold up unregulated China as an environmental model for the United States, then you are a liar and a fool.
    Last edited by SouthernDemocrat; 08-29-11 at 01:36 PM.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #268
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago area
    Last Seen
    11-06-13 @ 06:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    234

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I never in thousands of posts on here called anyone a liar, but I am pretty sure you are a liar. You say you have been the China many times, and mention going to Hong Kong.

    I have been to Shanghai, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, and Nanchang. I have spent a few days in Hong Kong, and a few days in Shanghai. I have cumulatively spent a few weeks in Guangzhou and Nanchang. You are right that Hong Kong is a beautiful city. From Kowloon, It has one of the most striking skylines on earth. However, thanks to all of the industry along the Pearl River Delta, air pollution in Hong Kong far exceeds any U.S. city. Air pollution in Hong Kong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    There are days in Hong Kong when the air is so foul that many people walk around wearing face masks to help filter out the particulates in the air. One day I ran up the mountains above central Hong Kong, the smog was so thick that day that from the top of Victoria Peak, you could only see the tallest buildings, and Kowloon across the harbor was not even visible.

    Shanghai is literally one of the most polluted cities on the face of the earth. No U.S. city even remotely compares with it.



    Study in Shanghai, China - Study In China

    There are days in Shanghai when the pollution is so thick that you can hardly see Pudong from the Bund.

    In 2006 I spent a week in Nanchang, China and despite there being clear skies, never one time saw the sun. I spent a week there again in 2009. Because of recent rains washing particulates from the air, there were days when you could see the sky, but only by looking directly overhead, a brown haze still engulfed the city.

    I have spent time in Guangzhou as well. Same story, the only time you could see a blue sky was after it rained and the particulates were washed from the air. One day while there I hiked to the top of White Cloud Mountain and could only see a few miles because of the smog, and that was one of the clearest days I was there.

    Even flying over China you notice the pollution, most of the time you cannot see the ground from the air, even over rural areas a persistent smoggy haze obscures the ground from the air. The Chinese people live in an environment that is incomprehensible to westerners that have never visited the country. They never see the kind of blue skies we enjoy here. They don't have the unspoiled wilderness we still have in places here. Unpolluted water is practically nonexistent there. Much of the country is an environmental wasteland, more spoiled and polluted than anywhere in the United States. Which is why I am pretty sure you have never traveled there, because the pollution there is not just something I noticed, its something that every westerner talks about that has visited the country. The common theme one hears again and again is that "its a great country to visit with all of the culture and history, but the pollution was absolutely horrible".

    If you want to hold up unregulated China as an environmental model for the United States, then you are a liar and a fool.
    Nope been to Hong Kong on many different occasions, and I think we both agree that Hong Kong has the most striking skyline on the planet. The sheer amount of skyscrapers built into the surrounding mountainsides is awe inspiring. There is no U.S. city as modern and impressive as Hong Kong. Walking though Customs at HKIA and seeing the thermal imaging body scanners alone, is something straight out of science fiction movies (total recall). I have also ventured onto the mainland, Shenzhen to be exact and and played most of the golf courses at Mission Hills. Gambled in the Casino's in Macau (larger and more luxurious than anything on Vegas's Strip) though not enough blackjack tables for my taste as I do not enjoy playing Baccarat. Admittedly, I have never ventured to Shanghai so can't speak with authority on the pollution problems they have there, but to characterize Hong Kong in the way you do, is not an accurate portrayal. As a result you can't blame me if I don't succumb to your portrayal of Shanghai. While I am not going to sit here and say that pollution is not a problem in Hong Kong, the fact is, I do not see it as more of a problem than say Los Angles or even Chicago. Your the one who attempted to use sensationalized pictures to paint your 'drilling equates to mass pollution' charge. I just called you out on it and used similar pictures of my own. The reality is your pollution argument is weak, there is no creditable evidence to suggest that lowing regulations in our own country will result in the catastrophic images you are attempting to suggest. Only fear and ignorance will perpetuate your claim. The reality is, governmental regulation of most kinds only taxes our ability as a nation to prosper. So if you want to hold up the regulated United States as an economic model, then you are only lying to yourself and are the bigger fool.

    I again assert my claim that Candidate Bachmann's claim of $2 per gallon gasoline is not only possible, but easily achievable if her plan were to be anywhere similar to mine. Oh yeah, one last thing...I have no problem hearing the birds in Hong Kong.

  9. #269
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevergolfpar View Post

    I again assert my claim that Candidate Bachmann's claim of $2 per gallon gasoline is not only possible, but easily achievable if her plan were to be anywhere similar to mine. Oh yeah, one last thing...I have no problem hearing the birds in Hong Kong.
    Sorry to jump in here, but what specifically is your plan that would get gas to 2$/gallon???

    Gas is going to go up to 6-8$ / gallon in the relatively near future (1-2 years) on dollar devaluation alone.

    Oh, and if you believe that Bachmann has ANY INTENTION of actually following through on the promise, EVEN IF she ACTUALLY had the capacity to do such a thing (without completely restructuring the economy), well, I should tell you about how I'm actually a zimbabwean prince that needs a few thousand dollars so that I can cash out on this million dollar investment and I'll share it all with you, cause I'm really nice like that.

    Seriously, why do people actually treat this pre-election rhetoric as though it has ANY weight to it what so ever??? The only person up there that has ANY integrity in what they are saying is Ron Paul as far as that goes, but people rather believe this type of garbage that probably can't even be backed up by anything substantial like facts and figures.

  10. #270
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago area
    Last Seen
    11-06-13 @ 06:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    234

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    Your a Zimbabwean prince with a name like BmanMcfly? My question to you is do you have a pollution problem in Zimbabwe? LOL Actually your post made me laugh, so thanks.

    Your right about dollar devaluation, as that is a very serious concern, especially with our current President spending money like a drunken sailor in a Chinese port of call.

    As for my plan, it is a few pages back and does not take into account the affects that inflation will have on our collective purchasing power as a nation. In am only speaking in a theoretical nature when making the claim that $2 a gallon gas is a possibility based off of today's economics.

    As for pre-election rhetoric, you again might be right. However, better to vote for candidate that talks a good game, than the candidate that has no game at all (I'm not talking about Ron Paul).
    Last edited by Nevergolfpar; 08-30-11 at 10:28 PM.

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •