Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 272

Thread: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

  1. #251
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    [QUOTE=sawyerloggingon;1059758317]
    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    If oil sells at $30/barrell, the oil companies can't make $30/barrell. They can't make their margen at $70/barrell either. They need high oil prices to make $30/barrell.[/QUOT

    To be honest I would be happy with consistant oil prices, anything under $100.00 a barrel that we could count on from our own reserves would make me smile. I am tired of being jerked around by OPEC.
    They can't make money from shale oil if oil is cheap. You can change your argument as many times as you like but you can't escape that fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #252
    Advisor nijato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Charm City, USA
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    417
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    Quote Originally Posted by EarlzP View Post
    She is one of the tea baggers one of those who oppose regulating speculators.

    One of the reasons that gas,oil and other products are so high is because of speculators and naturally the republicans want to block any bill that will control or regulate speculators.

    Speculating on life essential needs should not just be regulated it should be illegal,anyone engaging in speculating on life essential needs should go to jail
    1. Outlawing "speculation" is akin to outlawing "investing." Good luck with that one. And good luck understanding the flow of liquidity through a commodity market to primary producers without your "speculators." They are an essential part to a smoothly functioning market. That being said, margin requirements should be reasonable, and naked positions could be regulated or outlawed...

    2. The reason the price of oil is what it is... is simply what someone will pay for it. Behold: the intersection of the supply schedule and the demand schedule yields the price!

    3. Humans lived for well over 100,000 years without using oil. Just saying.
    "A witty saying proves nothing." Voltaire

  3. #253
    Advisor nijato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Charm City, USA
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    417
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Gas prices have doubled since Mr. Obama took office.
    And nearly 100% of murderers have eaten bread in the week preceding their crime. OUTLAW BREAD! Correlation does not imply causation.
    "A witty saying proves nothing." Voltaire

  4. #254
    Advisor nijato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Charm City, USA
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    417
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevergolfpar View Post
    This has to be one of the most absurd things I have read to date on this forum. "$1.79 was the result of the near collapse of the banking industry"? Then you follow it up with this gem; "Drilling is likely to cause OPEC to drop their production proportionately."

    Listen, if you want $2.00 per gallon gas within a year (probably much less than $2.00), here is what ANY politician could propose:
    1) Allow all of America's oil to be drilled and or minded.
    2) Eliminate any governmental/legal regulation associated with drilling, refining and transporting of the oil/gas
    3) Eliminate any and all environmental regulations associated with any aspect of the supply chain.
    4) Heavily subsidize through tax breaks and credits any corporate entity willing to make this investment.

    There you have it, a simple 4 step plan to $2.00 oil. In other words, flood the market with supply (or the potential for supply) market prices drop...simple economics.
    But at what cost would the $2 gas come? Not all costs have an associated dollar value. As a matter of fact, air and water are invaluable matters of survival, whereas dollars have no intrinsic value whatsoever. You propose a poor trade indeed.
    "A witty saying proves nothing." Voltaire

  5. #255
    Advisor nijato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Charm City, USA
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    417
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Corporatism is socialism for corporations rather then for people.
    I'm so confused... I thought corporations were people too?

    If I'm not mistaken, "corporatism" is a euphamism for fascism... but we can't call it that, can we...
    "A witty saying proves nothing." Voltaire

  6. #256
    Advisor nijato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Charm City, USA
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    417
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    What? Did I miss something? How does removing regulations mean destroying fresh water and food supply sources would be fine?
    Please google "cuyahoga river."
    "A witty saying proves nothing." Voltaire

  7. #257
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    Quote Originally Posted by nijato View Post
    1. Outlawing "speculation" is akin to outlawing "investing." Good luck with that one. And good luck understanding the flow of liquidity through a commodity market to primary producers without your "speculators." They are an essential part to a smoothly functioning market. That being said, margin requirements should be reasonable, and naked positions could be regulated or outlawed...

    2. The reason the price of oil is what it is... is simply what someone will pay for it. Behold: the intersection of the supply schedule and the demand schedule yields the price!

    3. Humans lived for well over 100,000 years without using oil. Just saying.
    BS Wall Street is the largest ponzi scheme ever divised, For the insiders Wall Street is like going to Atlantic City and knowing which one arm bandits are ready to pay off, those out of the loop put money in and those in the loop take it out

  8. #258
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    I’m on the fence about oil speculation, I hear both sides of the issue but can’t make up my mind on it yet which is very unusual for me, I am nothing if not opinionated.

  9. #259
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    You know, the interesting thing about this thread is the moment someone begins a discussion that is of interest to conservatives, they immediately forget about all the arguments of "big government" and "the free market system" or whether or not "government plays a role in our lives". Yet, here we have all this chatter over how Congresswoman Bachmann may be able to achieve her foolish promise of bringing down the cost of gas to $2.00 a galloon and the best ways to do that go contrary to conservative ideology - "big government" via government subsidizing a private sector industry -- more government spending and possibly more federal regulations.

    Truth is, it's going to take alot more than government subsidies to big oil, opening our SOR, or implementing more domestic drilling in order to bring down the cost of gas to $2 levels long-term. The U.S. dollar will remain the world's reserve currency atleast for the next 20-30 years if not longer where purchasing oil from OPEC-member countries are concerned. And as long as it remains such, the dollar will play a role in the global marketplace. As long as oil supplies remain constant and affordable, the U.S. will continue to buy it from abroad.

    There's a book I'm reading entitled, "Bad Money," by Kevin Phillips. He goes into great detail to explain the connection between the U.S. dollar as the world's reserve currency and how the dollar is closely tied to foreign oil. There's alot more to it, but if folks have been paying close attention to events over the last 30 years but in particular the last 7-8 years, you'll know that $2/galloon gas is a pipe-dream. The only way it happens without involving more big government and increasing the national debt/deficit OR going to war with yet another oil-rich nation is to take on many of the energy initiatives President Obama has been calling for - more energy efficient vehicles, trading with non-Middle-Eastern/OPEC nations, implementing more energy efficiency in our domestic appliances, relying more on alternative/renewable energy, building more energy-efficient homes and commercial buildings. Fact is, even if we open up our SOR or implement more domestic drilling, neither are the end-solution to $2 gas long-term. We have to do alot more in order to get there. For all practical purposes, President Obama is trying to lead the way in that area and would have far greater success if folks in Congress would just listen and stop being so damn partisan/obstructionist and looking out moreso for lobbyist/corporate interest rather than what's best for the country.

  10. #260
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago area
    Last Seen
    11-06-13 @ 06:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    234

    Re: Bachmann: I'll get gas under $2

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    The majority of oil that is still recoverable in the United States is not economically recoverable when oil prices are such that gas at the pump is less than 2 dollars a gallon. Take the Bakken Shale formation in North Dakota and western Montana. By some USGS estimates, there is around 270 billion barrels of oil in that formation. However, only around 2.1 billion barrels of that oil is technically recoverable with current technology, and because it is so expensive to recover shale oil, its only economically recoverable when oil prices are very high. There is oil boom in North Dakota because oil prices are near 100 dollar a barrel. If oil prices were to significantly drop, that oil would no longer be economically recoverable, and thus the North Dakota oil boom would end.



    Thats a good idea . In the hopes that it would lead to lower prices at the pump, we could eliminate all environmental regulations on the domestic oil industry. That way they would not have to concern themselves with petty concerns "water pollution", "fowling of lands", "wildlife protection". The end result would be our oil fields would look like the oil fields in nations that don't have those "governmental / legal regulations":

    Attachment 67115231



    Another great idea , that way we can have the same air and water quality that nations that lack those environmental regulations get to enjoy. Our cities get to look like this on the promise that gas will get cheaper:

    Attachment 67115232



    Another great idea. Not only should energy companies get to fowl our land, air, and water for the promise of cheaper gas, they should get even more taxpayer subsidized corporate welfare despite being the some of the most profitable companies in the history of civilization to begin with.



    No, what you presented is a 4 step plan for the fowling of our air, land, and water, and the destruction of our quality of life that is made possible because of environmental regulation and oversight. The difference between our air, land, and water, and the environment in places like China are those regulations and oversight. Many of the same multinational energy companies that relatively cleanly produce oil in the United States, have also desecrated the environments of third world nations they have worked in. Our environmental protections and oversight are what prevents them from doing the same here.

    Some of you guys on the anti-environment right are fools. Corporations don't pollute out of the goodness of their hearts, they mitigate pollution associated with oil extraction and production because they are legally compelled to do so in the United States. Visit a country that does not have those environmental regulations. Go to China, breath their air. Walk outside on a clear day and look up and notice how you can't even see the sun because of all the smog in the air. Notice how your eyes burn just walking down the sidewalk. Drink their water, oh, but you can't its undrinkable. Even citizens of China have to drink bottled water. You don't even hear birds in their parks there. Practically the entire country is an environmental nightmare. That is what you get when you do away with all those pesky environmental regulations.

    This is what American oil companies, the same companies that drill here, have done in Nigeria when they were free from all those burdensome regulations:

    Attachment 67115233
    Let me address these separately. The Bakken Formation in ND and Montana have an estimate 3.775 Billion Barrels of recoverable oil currently according to the USGS. Furthermore it is estimated that this oil could be extracted at a mere $16 per barrel. I am not talking about shale oil, I am talking about proven and viably ex tractable oil using current technology. These numbers increase exponentially as technologies in this area advance. Regardless, at a cost basis of only $16 per barrel your assertion that the ND oil boom would bust should the world market price for oil drop any further south than $100 per barrel, is not only misleading, it is outright wrong.

    You mean ending regulations in much the same way as the Chinese government has? Here is a link to a picture of an oil derrick from the big bad non-regulated Chinese:
    http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/00654/oil_rigs_china-s_654587cl-8.jpg
    I don't see any of the 'following of the lands' as you alluded to. Is this what you were alluding to when you suggested "The end result would be our oil fields would look like the oil fields in nations that don't have those "governmental / legal regulations". Please leave the sensationalized posts to the NY Times.

    As for air quality, here is what modern day China looks like--I'm not seeing any pollution....
    Google ImagesBut then again in the highly regulated United States we surly will not see any non-breathable air. How about a picture of modern day Los Angeles. Governmental regulations saves lives right?
    Los Angeles California Downtown Mountains Plane Smog | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Please...I can play your game too.

    By the way, I have been to China many times. Hong Kong is by far the most beautiful city I have been to in the world. As for your assertion that you cannot hear the birds in the parks in China, I'm calling you a liar. Look there goes a flock of birds now (see link below) somewhere close to Hong Kong...I can almost hear them crying 'fowl' to your sensationalism even from here in my very polluted yet regulated homeland.
    Dscf0707.jpg photo - vincent chan photos at pbase.com
    Maybe next time when you try to discredit my original post you will actually attempt to engage me in a well thought out rebuttal as opposed to the tomfoolery you are attempting to pass off as fact.

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •