Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 289

Thread: CAFE standards for big rigs.

  1. #241
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: CAFE standards for big rigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    “Zero energy to keep 80,000 lbs. moving once it’s moving” .JUST SHOOT ME! Good lord you book worms are freakin stupid. Sorry I try to be very polite in here but really. Maybe on the moon your comment would be accurate but in the REAL WORLD you have friction which you sort of addressed, wind resistance, hills and gravity. Get your face out of books out of the class room and into the real world. OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHM You may have stroked me out.
    I have designed many things that had to work in the real world and did. Thousands were made of some of them. Chassis, circuits, cooling, hardware logic, etc.; and they worked in the real world. My publications have stood up to peer review. I have more than ten patents. I started porting with a hand file the 2 cycle lawn mower engine for my doodle bug in 1960. It performed better. Ever replace just one diode with used one purchased at a surplus store in the bridge of an alternator of a car and have it work for over 100 k miles. Rebuilt a ’55 Austin Healy transmission, 351 Cleveland, ……………. Book worm? Stupid?
    Last edited by OhIsee.Then; 08-24-11 at 11:15 PM.

  2. #242
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: CAFE standards for big rigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    A double digit increase can be accomplished with big rigs, however it would likely be very unpopular. I read or heard a story a year or so ago that mentioned they were taking train engine technology and trying to incorporate it onto big rigs. This included larger engines that ran at a very low RPM (something like 500-800RPM). These engines had a significant improvement in fuel mileage however they were very slow to gain momentum. So if they tried this approach the public outcry would be fierce once people were stuck behind trucks that might take 5-10 minutes to hit 70 mph.
    A serious issue there is the gearing necessary to run such a low RPM at highway speeds - the effective loss of torque will cripple the vehichles ability to climb any sort of grade, and will require new transmission w/ more gears - all at a greater expense, both in unit cost and maintenance.

  3. #243
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: CAFE standards for big rigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    I did. I said "On average trucks descend 3% grades as much as they ascend them, i.e. we don’t see them flying." Grades don't count. I explained why in some detail. Please read it again.
    Translation:
    You aoint got squat.
    Which, of course, I figured.

  4. #244
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: CAFE standards for big rigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Actually I think the fact that it hasn't been done proves my hypothesis quite nicely. As i said if this could be done it would be done for the fortune the inventor would make. What you are trying to say is the gov is forceing these engine comps to do something that will make them rich, make their stock soar. It makes no sense.I'll leave it there, I see a merry go round coming LOL.
    No one is forcing anything, it was a cooperative process with industry. Did you miss the quote I posted by the CEO of Cummins, "This regulation and the process used to establish it are a model for how government and business should work together to meet energy, environment and economic goals."

    If industry considered the external cost of environmental degradation on their own in their business plan your point might have merit.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #245
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: CAFE standards for big rigs.

    When the Chicago thug summons you to his office and says do it or else, you smile and say yes sir. When he says AND pretend you like it you smile and say yes sir. As I said in a previous post if gov mandates for big rigs do what they have done for light truck diesels, god help us. As for private industry doing this for profit instead of gov forcing them to do it there is a caveat. Private industry would make a more efficient motor with better mpg if the cost benefit ratio added up and if they could make the motor reliable. Gov doesn’t care about this stuff. Gov says make it, we don’t care if it ends up costing so much that the fuel saved will never justify the cost and we don’t care if it’s a piece of crap that will constantly break down and won’t last half as long as old style motor, make it or else. So now we are back to global warming theory and gov using it to force private industry to be inefficient and unproductive. Socialism, aint it grand.

  6. #246
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: CAFE standards for big rigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    A serious issue there is the gearing necessary to run such a low RPM at highway speeds - the effective loss of torque will cripple the vehichles ability to climb any sort of grade, and will require new transmission w/ more gears - all at a greater expense, both in unit cost and maintenance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    A double digit increase can be accomplished with big rigs, however it would likely be very unpopular. I read or heard a story a year or so ago that mentioned they were taking train engine technology and trying to incorporate it onto big rigs. This included larger engines that ran at a very low RPM (something like 500-800RPM). These engines had a significant improvement in fuel mileage however they were very slow to gain momentum. So if they tried this approach the public outcry would be fierce once people were stuck behind trucks that might take 5-10 minutes to hit 70 mph.
    I donít know what to say about your lack of expertize. A 500 hp power source that runs from 300 to 1200 rpm compared to one that runs from 500 to 2000 require the same number of gears for the same function. However, the gears for the low rpm power source have to be designed for a higher load, therefore bigger. But, for a low rpm power source you can have primary gearing that steps up the rpm into a transmission. Acceleration would be the same if the hp vs rpm curve was the same shape and that is not hard to do.
    Torque is not separate from hp, itís a component of hp. You know the equation that the engineers that design these things use. Oh, I remember now. Truck design engineers donít know what they are doing because they donít have the same political beliefs you have. Right?

  7. #247
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: CAFE standards for big rigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    Oh, I remember now. Truck design engineers donít know what they are doing because they donít have the same political beliefs you have. Right?

    Thank you for making it clear that I need not seriously consider anything else you might have to say.

  8. #248
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: CAFE standards for big rigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post

    Thank you for making it clear that I need not seriously consider anything else you might have to say.
    You didn't from the beginning, and that's what you essentially confirmed with this post. And I was successful, as an engineer, to demonstrate who you are. Thanks.

  9. #249
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: CAFE standards for big rigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    When the Chicago thug summons you to his office and says do it or else, you smile and say yes sir. When he says AND pretend you like it you smile and say yes sir. As I said in a previous post if gov mandates for big rigs do what they have done for light truck diesels, god help us. As for private industry doing this for profit instead of gov forcing them to do it there is a caveat. Private industry would make a more efficient motor with better mpg if the cost benefit ratio added up and if they could make the motor reliable. Gov doesnít care about this stuff. Gov says make it, we donít care if it ends up costing so much that the fuel saved will never justify the cost and we donít care if itís a piece of crap that will constantly break down and wonít last half as long as old style motor, make it or else. So now we are back to global warming theory and gov using it to force private industry to be inefficient and unproductive. Socialism, aint it grand.
    Ahhhhhhhh, another science denier..............now the reason for your opposition is clear. Thanks!
    Last edited by Catawba; 08-25-11 at 02:40 PM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #250
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: CAFE standards for big rigs.

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    I have designed many things that had to work in the real world and did. Thousands were made of some of them. Chassis, circuits, cooling, hardware logic, etc.; and they worked in the real world. My publications have stood up to peer review. I have more than ten patents. I started porting with a hand file the 2 cycle lawn mower engine for my doodle bug in 1960. It performed better. Ever replace just one diode with used one purchased at a surplus store in the bridge of an alternator of a car and have it work for over 100 k miles. Rebuilt a ’55 Austin Healy transmission, 351 Cleveland, ……………. Book worm? Stupid?
    If you can explain 0 energy to keep 80,000 lbs moving im all ears or eyes in this case. Maybe always go downhill with motor off? You claim to be
    a very intellegent inventor, invent a diesel motor capable of moving 80,000 lbs that gets great mileage then.You will be the richest man alive if you do. Until then you are all talk.

Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •