Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 81

Thread: CHINA: "America Needs To Accept The Painful Fact That The Good Old Days Are Over"

  1. #71
    200M yrs of experience
    Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southeastern USA
    Last Seen
    05-07-12 @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,166

    Re: CHINA: "America Needs To Accept The Painful Fact That The Good Old Days Are Over"

    I know most here are too young to remember when the US took care of its own and kept its nose out of other countries' business, but it once did that and there were fewer problems both domestically and in foreign relations. I believe the US would be stronger overall and in better shape financially if it went back to taking care of its own business and quit trying to be a world power militarily and the world's rich uncle.
    I don't want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was wedding between the religious fundamentalists and political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it. ~ Billy Graham in Parade magazine February 1, 1981.

  2. #72
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: CHINA: "America Needs To Accept The Painful Fact That The Good Old Days Are Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    I know most here are too young to remember when the US took care of its own and kept its nose out of other countries' business, but it once did that and there were fewer problems both domestically and in foreign relations. I believe the US would be stronger overall and in better shape financially if it went back to taking care of its own business and quit trying to be a world power militarily and the world's rich uncle.
    You remember those days, it was pre 1941

  3. #73
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: CHINA: "America Needs To Accept The Painful Fact That The Good Old Days Are Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    You remember those days, it was pre 1941
    More like pre 1880

    The US was involved in many other countries business in Latin America long before 1941
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  4. #74
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: CHINA: "America Needs To Accept The Painful Fact That The Good Old Days Are Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    More like pre 1880

    The US was involved in many other countries business in Latin America long before 1941
    I guess some people forget some intervention in the Med in the late 1700s as well...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  5. #75
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: CHINA: "America Needs To Accept The Painful Fact That The Good Old Days Are Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    I guess some people forget some intervention in the Med in the late 1700s as well...
    It would depend on what one decides as keeping ones nose out of others business.

    Piracy that has or does target ships that belong to owns country could count as ones business. Which is why I didnt include the War of 1812, as UK privateers were effecting US trading vessels
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  6. #76
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: CHINA: "America Needs To Accept The Painful Fact That The Good Old Days Are Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    It would depend on what one decides as keeping ones nose out of others business.

    Piracy that has or does target ships that belong to owns country could count as ones business. Which is why I didnt include the War of 1812, as UK privateers were effecting US trading vessels
    The point was about intervention, not keeping your nose out of others' business. The US has ALWAYS insited on the right to navigate the seas since its founding, and that has led to interventions. If China controls East Asia, do you honestly think the waterways here will remain open? The South China Sea? The Taiwan Strait? the East China Sea? Really think about this...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  7. #77
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: CHINA: "America Needs To Accept The Painful Fact That The Good Old Days Are Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    The point was about intervention, not keeping your nose out of others' business. The US has ALWAYS insited on the right to navigate the seas since its founding, and that has led to interventions. If China controls East Asia, do you honestly think the waterways here will remain open? The South China Sea? The Taiwan Strait? the East China Sea? Really think about this...
    Will the water ways remain open, generally yes. As China is making alot of money through international trade, keeping the water ways open to trade would be important. Now will China allow for foreign militaries to navigate those regions, no.

    But then the US kept central america and south america as its playground for the last 100+ years. Working on keeping any non US presence out.
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  8. #78
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: CHINA: "America Needs To Accept The Painful Fact That The Good Old Days Are Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Was it not the actions of the "business community" that put us in this place to begin with? Oh wait, government wrote, issued, insured, and exported the toxic mortgages that infected the global financial system.


    Not all economic problems were caused by the the "Business Community," a great deal of the housing trouble started back in 1977 with passage of Community Reinvestment Act which made it possible for lower income people to get loans they could never afford to pay back.

    Congress thought this is wonderful, and it was, until they started spending money had over fist that they didn't have, on Wars we didn't need and we said nothing because revenge was on the minds of millions, and it sort of make sense at the time to many. I was not one of them.

    We could have taken Osama out cleanly by doing nothing as strong as an all out war we never seemed to want to win. It turned into another Vietnam with no end in sight because we are playing to win.
    The bad guys were knew that eventually a weak-kneed, cowardly person would come along as Obama has and announce the Taliban's day of Victory, which is when our troop strength drops to such a low level they can't do much.

    Congress and Obama continued the spending with boondoggles like Solyndra, Cash for Cars most of the bailouts and on and on.

    So there is plenty of blame and we need to realize that we let it happen.

    From the start of the Afghanistan War I was yelling about it on the radio fives days a week.

    I also warned that the housing bubble was about to pop since 2002.

    In less than ten years I saw prices on lots go up by more than three times their worth, and it had to end. Those prices in some cases are lower now than they were in 2002.

    If we don't pay attention and do our own do diligence, we will pay the price in the end.

    I say the "good old day" will begin to come back when Obama is gone and Reid no longer can dictate terms or block legislation.

  9. #79
    Sage
    jfuh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Rim
    Last Seen
    01-20-12 @ 09:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    16,631

    Re: CHINA: "America Needs To Accept The Painful Fact That The Good Old Days Are Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    You mean "nonsense" that simply shows you have no credibility? And yes, it is relevant as it goes to show that on topics related to China and Blues, you have no credibility. And.. considering you have cited quotes from another website from even longer ago... your hypocrisy is clear for all to see.
    No, nonsense because it was never an issue to begin with, but this victimization that your greens continually feign.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    I suppose you have forgotten that not only have gains been made, but that in the last election cycle in which everyone voted for county magistrates and municipal mayors, the DPP easily outpolled the KMT in terms of total popular votes.
    Yeah tea baggers made a lot of gains last year, so what? Ruling party always looses seats, means nothing.
    Secondly, you wrongfully assume that I'm a strong supporter of the KMT, sorry to bring reality to your wet dream but just because I don't support your hateful agenda hardly means that I'm a supporter of your opposition party.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    The case in question had nothing to do with her dual citizenship. It was about fraud. She has dual citizenship. This has been confirmed by the State Department. This case is about whose responsibility it is to uncover it and relates to her salary during the time she illegally held office.
    Fraud charges that she has been completely dismissed of.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    The only person taking anything out of context is you.
    you're silly

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    She violated the same law that she accused others of violating while she was a city councilor in Taipei. There is nothing silly about violating the law... unless the KMT is violating it, I suppose...
    Oops, don't want to be there being a jerk making false accusations against me do you? I'll get the mods on you for violating forum rule 4

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    The KMT also plays the ethnic card and has for generations. Ma wasn't born in Taiwan. This is a well-known fact.
    So? You know it's wrong and so it's okay for you guys to play the race card today? What about Ma not being born in Taiwan? He was born in the Republic of China, end of story.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Wrong. Read heading 14 on the bottom of page 7 on your United States passport. Furthermore, the U.S. Department of State confirmed that she still holds U.S. citizenship -- which I have already linked and you misconstrued... again...
    So US citizens can hold foreign office now? That's news to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    It isn't meaningless except in the minds of the KMT and their supporters.
    No, it's pretty much meaningless nonsense to any non pan greens. Once more, I don't support the KMT.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    This from someone who defends Ma, Lee, Chiu and other KMT stalwarts on every opportunity and attacks the greens. Anyone who reads your posts knows that what you say and reality are not one and the same.
    I attack the greens hardly means I support the KMT. You new at this forum thing LDH?

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Taiwan is not part of China. China is the greatest threat to the freedoms the 23 million people in Taiwan enjoy today. That you support them shows that you do not have Taiwan's freedom and democracy at heart. As for freedoms in China, it is too bad you support thugs who violate basic rights that the people of China are entitled in accordance with conventions China is a signatory to.
    Whoa, there you go again LDH, making no distinction between the PRC's citizenry and it's government when it suits your argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    You don't remember the thread you started praising his ascension to the presidency?
    I praised him for making such statements? Unless you can show me that you're just grasping.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Whatever... you didn't link the usage. I never called you Fuh on this forum.
    Some of us have better things to do with our lives than searching through old archives.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    I am not a public figure. President Ma is.
    According to your own words.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    We are not friends. You know very well in China that simply stating someone's surname without some form of honorific is NOT customary and in some contexts can be insulting. I have told you before I don't want you to do it, and I am within my rights on this forum to insist on it...
    What you are doing here is utterly pathetic and disgraceful. You're using people's ignorance of Chinese customs and language thus feign outrage and pretend that it is somehow insulting when you know damn well that it is not, not even in the least, you know damn well that it's just an abbreviation.
    So if You don't like lu and are feigning this outrage, than I'll just use LDH, initials of your pretend name.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Read rule number 4. Study it. Live it.
    Unless I'm insulting you with your own name, rule 4 is irrelevant and it is you who is being the jerk who is insisting on someone not using an abbreviation of your pretend name.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    President Ma is a public figure. And it is consistent with journalistic form. You are not a journalist and this is not a newspaper.
    In journalism, the president of a country is most certainly referenced as President so and so, at least within real journalism. It is only within non-journalism material such as tabloids that the titles are omitted.

  10. #80
    Sage
    jfuh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Rim
    Last Seen
    01-20-12 @ 09:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    16,631

    Re: CHINA: "America Needs To Accept The Painful Fact That The Good Old Days Are Over"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Will the water ways remain open, generally yes. As China is making alot of money through international trade, keeping the water ways open to trade would be important. Now will China allow for foreign militaries to navigate those regions, no.

    But then the US kept central america and south america as its playground for the last 100+ years. Working on keeping any non US presence out.
    LDH doesn't like people challenging him on his china hatred rants. It doesn't matter that the US kept all of latin-America as it's own playground for so long because in his mind ONLY China is the evil.
    It's why he can so easily side with a racist on China.
    Last edited by jfuh; 09-18-11 at 01:47 PM.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •