Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 222

Thread: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

  1. #71
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    And how long can YOU exist in a land where there is shrinking employment for large numbers of people who can vote

    How long can you pretend that this is not a disturbing trend in which millions and millions of people are simply superfluous and no longer necessary to feed the corporate machine?

    How long can you pretend that companies can embrace technology instead of workers and there is no real future for tens of millions of Americans?

    How long can you pretend that America is not sliding downhill towards becoming a two level society with the rich getting richer and everybody else struggling to just not fall off the damn cliff?

    From the attitude expressed my many right wingers here - I would say one hell of a long time. Too bad this country is going to hell on a roller coaster and the right wingers onsessed with themselves over all others in society are doing their best to grease the skids so the car crashes all the sooner.
    The folks harming employment aren't the businesses that are laying people off, it's the folks putting more and more regulations, taxes and uncertainty on business that are to blame.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I would strongly hope that all of us complain about what we have to do. Why would you not share that concern?
    There is little reason to complain about improving things.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Socialist. View Post
    You know what? All the posters who have said it is cheaper to produce in China than in America are correct. So let's change that. I propose we put a tariff on everything made outside our borders so if it costs 1$ to make in China and costs 3$ to make here then we charge the company 2 dollars the moment it hits our borders. Oh and corporate tax rates need to stay where they are at, but will actually be charged from now on at the full 35%. However, if you make come back to America and make jobs here then I'm fine with give you a nice break. It's time to end this neo-liberal free trade and start taking care of our workers.
    That won't work. Tariff's simple cause trade wars. It's not worth it. I've covered this before with no comments from anyone but I'll do it again. What we do is charge different rates based upon where the product you sell originates from. Now these are simply made up numbers for an example. I have no idea what the actual numbers would have to be.

    If you make and sell an item that was made in the U.S. you pay a 23% tax rate. If you sell a product made in say China, you pay 33%. That combined with a willingness from employee's and employers to work together to bring costs down would make the U.S. ultra-competitive. It's not this simple either but it's a start to the discussion.

    This is basically what Obama campaigned on but so far has tossed aside.
    Last edited by 1Perry; 07-24-11 at 09:30 PM.

  4. #74
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Socialist. View Post
    Of course I'm not free trade. Neither are a lot of people on the Left, however. Most of the rich people are creating jobs and writing checks for people in China and other foreign countries, so your argument does not hold water. As for my age it is not at all relevant to the issue unless you are one of those people who thinks being young makes you naive or ignorant. In which case I really don't care what you think, because age does not equal maturity. I know the argument though, I've heard it from a republican congressman it goes soemthing like "young people just vote feelings when they get out in the real world they'll be conservatives. Despite all the liberals and other leftists out in the "real world."
    In a sense age does matter, and your young and a idealist like all or at least most young people. That said we need idealist and we need our young people and yes your vote counts. Now in regards to jobs going overseas, it because of our government policies that currently are in place and you are ignoring this side of the issue. You first must address this because currently we still live in a republic under government constrained by a constitution. Now whoever it maybe that comes to this country past and present has the absolute right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness(property), without to much hindrance from our democratic form of government. No one has a governmental right to be given without earning the right to wealth, job security and good health, this my friend is strictly up to you to maintain without hindrance from our government.


    Now you have no right (actually you do have the right and this is why youngsters aren't taken seriously)to assume and take over the moral high ground opposed to another and claim that all who have benefited more than others that they are vile and evil. Most CEO's and corporation just didn't appear out of thin air and became multi-million/billion dollar companies. This was usually done through hard work, sacrifice, sh!tload a risk to monies and investments, time etc. Now you want these companies to bend over backwards in a country unfriendly to business(currently), for the competition come back make everyone a millionaire and all will be well. One thing you forgot, this is a world economy now whether we participate or not, and in short if we don't compete then our competition on the world market will bury us in short order. After this is done then you will find out what misery and destitution really is, yet the wealthy will get on their jets and fly to another rich country.
    Last edited by deltabtry; 07-24-11 at 09:30 PM.

  5. #75
    Educator U.S. Socialist.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    04-18-12 @ 04:55 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    913

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    In a sense age does matter, and your young and a idealist like all or at least most young people. That said we need idealist and we need our young people and yes your vote counts. Now in regards to jobs going overseas, it because of our government policies that currently are in place and you are ignoring this side of the issue. You first must address this because currently we still live in a republic under government constrained by a constitution. Now whoever it maybe that comes to this country past and present has the absolute right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness(property), without to much hindrance from our democratic form of government. No one has a governmental right to be given without earning the right to wealth, job security and good health, this my friend is strictly up to you to maintain without hindrance from our government.


    Now you have no right (actually you do have the right and this is why youngsters aren't taken seriously)to assume and take over the moral high ground opposed to another and claim that all who have benefited more than others that they are vile and evil. Most CEO's and corporation just didn't appear out of thin air and became multi-million/billion dollar companies. This was usually done through hard work, sacrifice, sh!tload a risk to monies and investments, time etc. Now you want these companies to bend over backwards in a country unfriendly to business(currently), for the competition come back make everyone a millionaire and all will be well. One thing you forgot, this is a world economy now whether we participate or not, and in short if we don't compete then our competition on the world market will bury us in short order. After this is done then you will find out what misery and destitution really is, yet the wealthy will get on their jets and fly to another rich country.
    Tell me how are our government polices forcing business to ship jobs overseas? Is it because we regulate them to some extend to provide protection for those who work there and to protect the environment? Is it because our workers demand a decent pay check and won't accept 10 cents an hour? Let me ask this, do you believe that American workers need to accept the conditions of Chinese workers in order to be competitive in a global market?

  6. #76
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Socialist. View Post
    Tell me how are our government polices forcing business to ship jobs overseas? Is it because we regulate them to some extend to provide protection for those who work there and to protect the environment? Is it because our workers demand a decent pay check and won't accept 10 cents an hour? Let me ask this, do you believe that American workers need to accept the conditions of Chinese workers in order to be competitive in a global market?
    I make it short and sweet, just a few examples and there are many many more that can be given. I'll start by saying that at one time the Boston area had the largest shoe and textile industry in the country, this is no more and nor could you open another one with being heavily regulated and taxed not to mentioned sued by just about all the surrounding towns and citizens.
    Industries that are next to impossible to open in or near Boston, North Shore or South Shore;
    Trucking companies
    truck stops
    shoe factories
    Textile factories
    chemical companies
    food plants
    jelliten plants
    meat processing plants
    furniture striping or restorations companies
    steel plants
    chemical warehousing

    These types of companies I have mentioned are all heavily dependent on blue collar workers, and this is in a liberal state, pro union, pro environmental, pro workers rights etc., yet will be stonewalled every step of the way until it is unaffordable and unattainable to continue to pursue and operate in this state. This is what I am talking about in regards to regulations and taxation and this is why youngster are unaware of these things for the most part..

  7. #77
    Educator U.S. Socialist.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    04-18-12 @ 04:55 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    913

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    I make it short and sweet, just a few examples and there are many many more that can be given. I'll start by saying that at one time the Boston area had the largest shoe and textile industry in the country, this is no more and nor could you open another one with being heavily regulated and taxed not to mentioned sued by just about all the surrounding towns and citizens.
    Industries that are next to impossible to open in or near Boston, North Shore or South Shore;
    Trucking companies
    truck stops
    shoe factories
    Textile factories
    chemical companies
    food plants
    jelliten plants
    meat processing plants
    furniture striping or restorations companies
    steel plants
    chemical warehousing

    These types of companies I have mentioned are all heavily dependent on blue collar workers, and this is in a liberal state, pro union, pro environmental, pro workers rights etc., yet will be stonewalled every step of the way until it is unaffordable and unattainable to continue to pursue and operate in this state. This is what I am talking about in regards to regulations and taxation and this is why youngster are unaware of these things for the most part..
    You say that you can't open a business because of the taxes and regulations in place. What regulations and taxes are you referring to. The reason I'm asking is, I want to know if the regulations that are in place are regulations that are needed or if they actually are bad policy.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Business must be profitable to exist. All business looks to what will make them MORE profitable. Heavy regulations, taxes and artificially inflated wages and health care costs are bad for businesses.

    The stock holders, the ones whose money is at stake, want a return on their investment.

    Guess where their money goes when that return goes down? Elsewhere. Be it layoffs, forcing the company to move to a new state, a new country, or investing in other places... once that money goes, it's over. Ball game.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  9. #79
    Educator U.S. Socialist.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    04-18-12 @ 04:55 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    913

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Business must be profitable to exist. All business looks to what will make them MORE profitable. Heavy regulations, taxes and artificially inflated wages and health care costs are bad for businesses.

    The stock holders, the ones whose money is at stake, want a return on their investment.

    Guess where their money goes when that return goes down? Elsewhere. Be it layoffs, forcing the company to move to a new state, a new country, or investing in other places... once that money goes, it's over. Ball game.
    So are you saying we should adopt the wages and polices of China for our workers?

  10. #80
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Socialist. View Post
    You say that you can't open a business because of the taxes and regulations in place. What regulations and taxes are you referring to. The reason I'm asking is, I want to know if the regulations that are in place are regulations that are needed or if they actually are bad policy.
    There are hundreds if not thousands of regulations, it all depends on what town, county, states, district, and the local, state and federal laws you must abide by. That said, let also talk about the permits a company must acquire to operate, the amount of money it must put forth even before opening, again it depends on your location. Now in this state before you even break ground, you must get a environmental impact study, but forth your petition open a business at the city or town council, then it must be put forth to public and for awhile wait and see if any objections occur. Objections that are made from the public must go before a public hearing, this cost money. After a few months or sometimes 10 years as it was with my company, then you must put forth your plan, then again it must be approved by the city or town council.......

    This can go on for several pages, but do you get the jest of it. Now if your large corporation, then the fees, permits, public hearings are ten fold .

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •