Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 222

Thread: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

  1. #201
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    10-18-12 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    1. Get rid of at least half of our aircraft carriers, and a similar number of other ships.
    2. Get rid of all our strategic bombers.
    3. Get rid of the majority of our tanks and heavy combat vehicles.
    4. Get rid of all our nuclear bombs and land based ICBM's, and around half of our sea based ones.
    5. Kill the Joint Strike Fighter project, and majorly cut the size of our airforce. Phase out the older planes.
    6. Cut the size of our army. Increase the size of our special forces to compensate.
    7. Get rid of nearly all oversea military bases. Keep a couple in Japan and South Korea, and also in the Middle East.
    8. Have a general redesign of weapons to make things more cost effective.

    There you go. I just shaved at least half off the military budget, and probably a good deal more.
    our seventh fleet could sit outside our borders and NOTHING could get past them. we need to keep our noses out of other country's business and maybe they wouldn't hate us so and we wouldn't need so much military. it's kind of a catch-22.

  2. #202
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    10-18-12 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    You're right! I can smoke weed if I want, or go to a prostitute, or get married to someone of the same sex, or fly without being hassled by the government, and there's absolutely no danger of my phone conversations being randomly wiretapped.
    not to mention now we are going after parents who's kids are over weight so now we are told what and how much to EAT.

  3. #203
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    10-18-12 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Absolutely goddamn ****ing right!

    If they don't like it, they should just not **** with us and it won't happen.
    if we didn't have our noses so far up their business they might not **** with us.

  4. #204
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    10-18-12 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Socialist. View Post
    Yes it is. Let's review. Why shouldn't you be allowed to smoke weed? It harms no one but yourself. Why shouldn't you be allowed to go to prostitute, after all don't you believe in the free market? Why shouldn't I be able to marry a guy if I want? It's my life. The last two should be so obvious that I shouldn't have to address them. Is it really okay to have your phone tapped by the government?
    speaking of prostitution. why is it illegal to give someone an orgasm? i can think of MUCH worse things you can do to someone. in the military you get a medal for dropping bombs on women and children and civilans go to jail for giving someone an orgasm. i don't get it.

  5. #205
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    10-18-12 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Socialist. View Post
    No it's not, because all those things I listed are illegal in some if not all 50 states. That is the point we are not freest country on earth. As for tapping your phone, the mere possibility that it could happen should raise red flags.
    they tapped them we just didn't raise an eyebrow, unlike the brits.

  6. #206
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    10-18-12 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It can't happen without a warrant.
    where were you during the bush term? remember warrantless wiretaping?

  7. #207
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Disregard my post above (#207). I tried to edit it, but didn't quite make the timeline. The following is what I wanted to post (I'll ask the mods to clean things up momentarily):

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Which, "loopholes", would those be? I personally don't want any of my deductions taken away from me. I can't afford to pay anymore taxes.

    I made 40 g's last year. I don't qualify for the earned income credit, because I'm self employed. I had to cough up 7 grand in taxes and now you think I should pay more goddamned taxes? I'll fight tooth-n-nail any regime that thinks that that's not enough. They can kiss my ass, in fact.
    As I've said to you before, settle down small business owner. You got tax cuts from the Stimulus (or should have anyway because there were plenty of them for small business owners), and the tax cuts - revenue raisers - the President has proposed would NOT affect you since you're neither a big corporation, investor or hedge fund owner. So, your $40K/annual earnings/profit would NOT be affected. You can settle down now.

    That's not true. Obama's been talking about raising the marginal rate since before he got elected.
    Yes, for people making +$250K/annually. Since you've stated your annual earnings from your business don't amount to that, this would not apply to you now, would it? NEXT!

    Sounds like Obama is just trying to **** the people, however he can.
    Is that right? So, tell me then who exactly caused the housing bubble to burst? Was it the President or was it the greed from morgtage companies, investment companies, insurance giants like AIG or commercial banks who made loans they knew people didn't qualify for? Did the so-called erratic and irresponsible spending just suddenly begin on January 20, 2009 or has it been atleast a decade's long odyssey?

    Truth is, so many people are against what the President has proposed because they've become convinced that the spending is strictly a Democrat thing and that all this President wants is a "blank check" to do whatever he wants, and that he's afraid to take on entitlement spending or changes in the tax code. But those folks haven't been listening. They hear what they want to hear and much of that "partialled" and highly opinionated news comes from the likes of Hannity, Levin and Limbaugh.

    STOP LISTENING TO THE GARBAGE AND START GETTING THE FACTS!

    Go to sources outside the mainstream including government sites, such as house.gov or senate.gov, and read the proposed bills yourself, if posted. Or you can go to govtracks.org and search for legislation. Read news articles from both sides of the political divide; I read news from Fox just as much as I do CNN, but I compare what's said to other news sources, i.e., NYTimes, WashtingtonPost/Times, USAToday and others. I also review various blogs just to get a better feel for what's going on outside of the DC cycle. Above all, I read ALOT as my wife, BamaBrat, can attest to.

    I don't base my opinion on one or two snippets from a single source or a select group on one side of the political divide. I get information for a vast assortment of resources. So, when I come here and post, I'd like to believe I'm as well informed on an issue as I'm going to be. I may lean Democrat, but I try very hard to see the other side of the ledger as well. I just think that pure Conservatism is wrong because it omits so many from being able to participate in achieving that American dream...whatever it may mean to them. American history tells us this country was never founded on such rigid ideology.


    Stop holding up drilling permits. A recent study said that 230,000+ jobs would be created, if the permitting process wasn't all mucked up by the government.
    You do realize that the permitting process was a joke, right? All those oil companies using the same blanket template to prepare their contingency plans using outdated information? If anything, the President has done things to improve the process. The 6-month moritorium was intended to fix that problem. Since being lifted, oil production has increased and oil companies have begun to submit real plans with accurate, up-to-date information. If all you want is a continuation of the wrecklessness that was the BP oil spill, then you keep right on pushing for the same irresponsible practises that caused one of our nation's coastlines to halt their way of life.

    Stop over-regulating the coal industry. Obama has already promised to put them out of business.
    I asked the question just yesterday what led to the housing bubble crisis and every other deep recession/depression this country has experienced. Unfortunately, nobody dared to answer. So, I'll tell you: DEREGULATION!

    The Great Depression - no rules to govern the banks. Once the Glass–Steagall Act was passed in 1933, it kept a lid on improper commercial banking practises for 66 years!

    The Savings and Loan crisis of the 80' - deregulation brought on by the Tax Reform Act of 1986.

    The housing bubble of 2008 - again, deregulation of Glass-Steagall which removed the blocks that kept mortgage companies, investment companies, insurance companies and commercial banks from conducting such financial practises that one could hardly be distingushed from the other.

    Stop trying to turn our food supply into our fuel supply. Ethanol subsidies have driven up the price of corn and thereby, the price of beef, pork and chicken.
    Hence, the reason those such subsidies have been removed. NEXT!

    Stop with over-regulation by the EPA.
    If Congress would act accordingly, this wouldn't be a problem.

    Basically, Obama should halt 99% of his agenda. It's what's cocking things up.
    No, what's cocking things up is Wall Street now has to adjust to doing things the right way instead of "the greedy way". And just as after the Great Depression began and new regulations were implemented, it's going to take an adjustment period for the markets to catch-up. (It also doesn't help that instead of lending again, banks and large corporate investors are accumulating wealth to pad their financial portfolios at present.)

    A little free advice: you can't knowingly kill jobs, then bitch that you're not getting enough tax revenue.
    Had big businesses acted with a conscience we wouldn't be in this position!! Think it through, man!

    I'm a small business owner.
    Yes, we know...

    Yes, I work in the oilfield--an oil company shill according to some on this forum. Another hint: If I go out of business, and get a job where I do qualify for the earned income credit, I'll never pay taxes, again. Tell me who wins in that scenario.
    That same question is now being asked by the millions of hard working individuals who lost their jobs due to no fault of their own either from the wrecklessness of individuals businesses, irresponsible actions by large investment corporations or politicians (Republican leadership) who believed it best to balance their state budgets on the backs of public employees vice taking the hard hits and cutting spending on unnecessary programs within their respective states. Put simply: It's far easier to cut payroll and work political angles (re: gut public education, retirement and health care plans) than it is to put pressure on businesses to do the right thing or take away worthless programs because states don't want to give up federal dollars.

    Ya'll Liberals are always harping about raising taxes and closing, "loopholes", but I seriously doubt any of you have the first damn clue how it will effect real people.
    REAL PEOPLE ARE SUFFERRING EVERY DAMN DAY based on the foolishness by Republicans over the last 30 years!!!! I don't live in a bubble. I live in the world same as you. I just take a different point of view because unlike some I do try very hard to stay informed on both sides of the political divide. I don't have a problem with people making money. I do, however, have a problem with people who have money acting irresponsibly.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 07-26-11 at 01:33 PM.

  8. #208
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by majora$$hole View Post
    our seventh fleet could sit outside our borders and NOTHING could get past them. we need to keep our noses out of other country's business and maybe they wouldn't hate us so and we wouldn't need so much military. it's kind of a catch-22.
    We kept our nose out Europe's business in the 30's. Remember how well that worked for us?

  9. #209
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by majora$$hole View Post
    where were you during the bush term? remember warrantless wiretaping?
    I recall the warrantless wiretapping of calls that originated in foriegn countries. The Patriot act didn't allow for warrantless tapping of calls from domestic station to domestic station.

  10. #210
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    As I've said to you before, settle down small business owner. You got tax cuts from the Stimulus (or should have anyway because there were plenty of them for small business owners), and the tax cuts - revenue raisers - the President has proposed would NOT affect you since you're neither a big corporation, investor or hedge fund owner. So, your $40K/annual earnings/profit would NOT be affected. You can settle down now.
    No I didn't! I wish ya'll would stop telling those lies. Those tax breaks--not cuts--only applied to green companies.



    Yes, for people making +$250K/annually. Since you've stated your annual earnings from your business don't amount to that, this would not apply to you now, would it? NEXT!
    Couples making 250 grand, individuals making 200 grand. I would like for my business to make 200 grand a year, but with the current regime, that will enver happen. Goes back to my comment about creating more tax payers.



    Is that right? So, tell me then who exactly caused the housing bubble to burst? Was it the President or was it the greed from morgtage companies, investment companies, insurance giants like AIG or commercial banks who made loans they knew people didn't qualify for? Did the so-called erratic and irresponsible spending just suddenly begin on January 20, 2009 or has it been atleast a decade's long odyssey?
    Chris Dodd and Barnie Frank said everything was just fine. Who created the bubble, to begin with? The government, perhaps? It shows what government intrusion into the private sector really can do.

    Truth is, so many people are against what the President has proposed because they've become convinced that the spending is strictly a Democrat thing and that all this President wants is a "blank check" to do whatever he wants, and that he's afraid to take on entitlement spending or changes in the tax code. But those folks haven't been listening. They hear what they want to hear and much of that "partialled" and highly opinionated news comes from the likes of Hannity, Levin and Limbaugh.
    That's exactly what he wants. It's the whole, "economic justice", thing he's been going on about. Levin, Hannity, nor Limbaugh said it; Obama said it.

    STOP LISTENING TO THE GARBAGE AND START GETTING THE FACTS!
    You should start listening to what Obama actually says, vice hearing what you want to hear.



    I don't base my opinion on one or two snippets from a single source or a select group on one side of the political divide. I get information for a vast assortment of resources. So, when I come here and post, I'd like to believe I'm as well informed on an issue as I'm going to be. I may lean Democrat, but I try very hard to see the other side of the ledger as well. I just think that pure Conservatism is wrong because it omits so many from being able to participate in achieving that American dream...whatever it may mean to them. American history tells us this country was never founded on such rigid ideology.
    I look directly at what Obama says he wants to do, then look at the results of him doing it, then I form my own opinion of how ****ed up he really is.




    You do realize that the permitting process was a joke, right? All those oil companies using the same blanket template to prepare their contingency plans using outdated information? If anything, the President has done things to improve the process. The 6-month moritorium was intended to fix that problem. Since being lifted, oil production has increased and oil companies have begun to submit real plans with accurate, up-to-date information. If all you want is a continuation of the wrecklessness that was the BP oil spill, then you keep right on pushing for the same irresponsible practises that caused one of our nation's coastlines to halt their way of life.
    Not nearly as big-a-joke as Obama unemployment numbers. Don't complain about too few jobs, after your boy has killed even more.

    The BP oil spill was nothing more than human error. Get over it.





    The Great Depression - no rules to govern the banks. Once the Glass–Steagall Act was passed in 1933, it kept a lid on improper commercial banking practises for 66 years!
    Who repealed Glass Steagall?

    The Savings and Loan crisis of the 80' - deregulation brought on by the Tax Reform Act of 1986.
    Who had the majority in Congress, then?



    Had big businesses acted with a conscience we wouldn't be in this position!! Think it through, man!
    No, if the government had stayed out of it, it wouldn't have gotten ****ed up.



    That same question is now being asked by the millions of hard working individuals who lost their jobs due to no fault of their own either from the wrecklessness of individuals businesses, irresponsible actions by large investment corporations or politicians (Republican leadership) who believed it best to balance their state budgets on the backs of public employees vice taking the hard hits and cutting spending on unnecessary programs within their respective states. Put simply: It's far easier to cut payroll and work political angles (re: gut public education, retirement and health care plans) than it is to put pressure on businesses to do the right thing or take away worthless programs because states don't want to give up federal dollars.
    More government intervention in the private sector. How has that worked so far?



    REAL PEOPLE ARE SUFFERRING EVERY DAMN DAY based on the foolishness by Republicans over the last 30 years!!!! I don't live in a bubble. I live in the world same as you. I just take a different point of view because unlike some I do try very hard to stay informed on both sides of the political divide. I don't have a problem with people making money. I do, however, have a problem with people who have money acting irresponsibly.
    Republican foolishness over the past 30 years?

    Are you fully aware that over the past 30 years, the Democrats have controlled Congress for 18 and for nearly 12 years have run the whole show?

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •