Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 222

Thread: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

  1. #111
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    How do you intend on paying for that, exactly? You won't be able to do it by just taxing the rich. You're going to have to tax middle class folks, too. How-da-ya think that's going to go over? Why does the Left have such a disconnect between tax revenue and revenue generation? Why don't you see that the easiest--and most politically expedient way--to create more tax revenue is help the private sector create more taxable revenue?
    Now, this is the problem I have with the GOP.

    The President proposed generating revenue by closing some tax loopholes on those businesses that either have demonstrated their ability to make a profit WITHOUT generous tax breaks or indicated they weren't using the tax breaks available to them, i.e., purchasing private jets. And what did the GOP do? They bulked!

    No one was suggesting raising the marginal tax rate on anyone until this last round of debt ceiling negotiations. And just so we're clear, the only reason the President insisted on tax revenue was because the GOP insisted on including entitlement reform in negotiations.

    So, apdts, let me ask you the same question you asked of U.S. Socialist but in a slightly different way?

    How would you go about raising revenue to help the private sector create more taxable revenue. You said it must be a shared sacrafic, but how can that be with the middle class can barely pay for gas, groceries, electricity...the basics in order to survive?

  2. #112
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,806

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Boehner reportedly was giving $400billion in that area and Obama was reportedly giving around $300billion/year in spending cuts. That looks like give and take from both positions.
    We cannot fix our spending issue without addressing entitlement reform and military spending---they make up around 70% of the budget together.

    Maybe less emotion and more thought?

  3. #113
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Now, this is the problem I have with the GOP.

    The President proposed generating revenue by closing some tax loopholes on those businesses that either have demonstrated their ability to make a profit WITHOUT generous tax breaks or indicated they weren't using the tax breaks available to them, i.e., purchasing private jets. And what did the GOP do?
    Which, "loopholes", would those be? I personally don't want any of my deductions taken away from me. I can't afford to pay anymore taxes.

    I made 40 g's last year. I don't qualify for the earned income credit, because I'm self employed. I had to cough up 7 grand in taxes and now you think I should pay more goddamned taxes? I'll fight tooth-n-nail any regime that thinks that that's not enough. They can kiss my ass, in fact.


    They bulked!
    Balked, maybe?

    No one was suggesting raising the marginal tax rate on anyone until this last round of debt ceiling negotiations.
    that's not true. Obama's been talking about raising the marginal rate since before he got elected.

    And just so we're clear, the only reason the President insisted on tax revenue was because the GOP insisted on including entitlement reform in negotiations.
    Sounds like Obama is just trying to **** the people, however he can.



    So, apdts, let me ask you the same question you asked of U.S. Socialist but in a slightly different way?

    How would you go about raising revenue to help the private sector create more taxable revenue. You said it must be a shared sacrafic, but how can that be with the middle class can barely pay for gas, groceries, electricity...the basics in order to survive?
    Stop holding up drilling permits. A recent study said that 230,000+ jobs would be created, if the permitting process wasn't all mucked up by the government. Stop over-regulating the coal industry. Obama has already promised to put them out of business. Stop trying to turn our food supply into our fuel supply. Ethanol subsidies have driven up the price of corn and thereby, the price of beef, pork and chicken. Stop with over-regulation by the EPA. Basically, Obama should halt 99% of his agenda. It's what's cocking things up.

    A little free advice: you can't knowingly kill jobs, then bitch that you're not getting enough tax revenue.

    I'm a small business owner. Yes, I work in the oilfield--an oil company shill according to some on this forum. Another hint: If I go out of business, and get a job where I do qualify for the earned income credit, I'll never pay taxes, again. Tell me who wins in that scenario.

    Ya'll Liberals are always harping about raising taxes and closing, "loopholes", but I seriously doubt any of you have the first damn clue how it will effect real people. You all live in a bubble, where the only people who pay taxes and own businesses are the super rich.

  4. #114
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Socialist. View Post
    Actually I did answer your question. You asked how to pay for it and said taxing the rich wasn't enough. So I suggested ending the wars and cutting all military spending by half and using that money on infrastructure. That did answer your question. Why does the Right always ignore evidence?
    There's no way we can cut military spending by half. It's totally unrealistic.

  5. #115
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    Obama gave a trillion dollars to the corporations, and shockingly enough, they kept it. What we need are public sector jobs.
    Man! Ya'll just don't get it. What grade are you in?

  6. #116
    Educator U.S. Socialist.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    04-18-12 @ 04:55 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    913

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    There's no way we can cut military spending by half. It's totally unrealistic.
    If we want to maintain our Empire then yes it is. However, if you, like me, feel that the military should only exist for national defense then we could. We could end all the wars, close all overseas bases except for the rare cases where the nations truly need our help such as South Korea, get rid of all private contractors(groups like Blackwater get paid 4x as much as men in our own army). These polices alone will save a lot of money.

  7. #117
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Socialist. View Post
    If we want to maintain our Empire then yes it is. However, if you, like me, feel that the military should only exist for national defense then we could. We could end all the wars, close all overseas bases except for the rare cases where the nations truly need our help such as South Korea, get rid of all private contractors(groups like Blackwater get paid 4x as much as men in our own army). These polices alone will save a lot of money.

    Sout Korea actually pays for us to be there:

    The latest Special Measures Agreement would begin in January and calls for South Korea to pay 760 billion won, or $585.4 million, in 2009 toward the cost of keeping 28,500 U.S. troops in the country, according to South Korean and U.S. foreign ministry officials.
    But by 2011, the Korean payments for construction would be in goods and services, according to an official at South Korea’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Costs of Korean labor and munitions support on the U.S. bases would continue to be paid in cash, he said.


    S. Korean security payments shift - News - Stripes

  8. #118
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Socialist. View Post
    If we want to maintain our Empire then yes it is. However, if you, like me, feel that the military should only exist for national defense then we could. We could end all the wars, close all overseas bases except for the rare cases where the nations truly need our help such as South Korea, get rid of all private contractors(groups like Blackwater get paid 4x as much as men in our own army). These polices alone will save a lot of money.
    I feel that the best defense, is a good offense. History has proven me correct.

    As far as spending money such as Blackwater, yes, I think the military should have some fat trimmed off of it. However, when the Pentagon starts trimming fat, it's the enlisted man that gets cut the deepest and that's why I think that military cuts should be as shallow as possible. Everytime we've cut our military down to a skeleton crew, it's come back to haunt us.

  9. #119
    Professor
    NGNM85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,571

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    There's no way we can cut military spending by half. It's totally unrealistic.
    'Unrealistic' as in unlikely to occur in the present political environment. However, very little of military spending actually has anything to do with defense. It is the single greatest source of wealth. The obstinant refusal to cut military spending, combined with the equally dogged resistance to raising taxes, under any circumstances, speak volumes about all this fake outrage on the right concerning the deficit.
    Economic Left/Right: -7.25, Authoritarian/Libertarian:-7.13
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. -Noam Chomsky

  10. #120
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Profits soar amid mass layoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I feel that the best defense, is a good offense. History has proven me correct.

    .

    Do you have any examples in mind?

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •