Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Senate Blocks Voet on Cut Cap and Balance

  1. #1
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Senate Blocks Voet on Cut Cap and Balance

    The Senate voted today to block the House-passed “Cut, Cap and Balance” legislation from even being brought to a vote on passage. A procedural motion to “table” a “motion to proceed” on the measure passed 51 to 46 on party lines.

    Reps. Tim Huelskamp (R., Kan.) and Jeff Duncan (R., S.C.) led a delegation of roughly a dozen House Republican freshman to the Senate floor to observe the proceedings during the vote.

    Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D., Nev.) said Thursday it would be a “waste of the Senate’s time” to debate the measure any further, adding that he thought the bill was “perhaps some of the worst legislation in the history of this country.” Reid had initially schedule the vote for Saturday, but decided to move it up at the last minute.

    “Senator Reid’s scramble to vote on this bill a day earlier than previously announced shows that Cut, Cap, and Balance is quickly gaining momentum,” said Rep. Jim Jordan (R., Ohio), chairman of the Republican Study Committee, which was largely responsible for drafting the legislation. “Senate Democrats should stop hiding behind a procedural vote to block a plan with two-to-one support from the American public. So long as it has the support of the American people, Cut, Cap, and Balance remains very much alive.”...

    Because the package under discussion includes tax increases as well as spending cuts, Reid claimed, and due to the Constitutional requirement that all revenue bills originate in the lower chamber, “the path to avert default now runs first to the House of Representatives…We in the Senate must wait for them.”




    now. that's chutzpah. kill what they send you and then insist it's their responsibility to send you a solution.


    CNN Polling shows that nearly two-thirds of the American people support cut cap and balance.

  2. #2
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Senate Blocks Voet on Cut Cap and Balance

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    CNN Polling shows that nearly two-thirds of the American people support cut cap and balance.
    That, of course, is complete BS, I am willing to bet that 85-90% of Americans never heard of it. Polls only measure the opinions of people who are interested in the subject.


  3. #3
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Senate Blocks Voet on Cut Cap and Balance

    Well im glad this didnt pass (not like it had a chance)


  4. #4
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Senate Blocks Voet on Cut Cap and Balance

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    The Senate voted today to block the House-passed “Cut, Cap and Balance” legislation from even being brought to a vote on passage. A procedural motion to “table” a “motion to proceed” on the measure passed 51 to 46 on party lines.

    Reps. Tim Huelskamp (R., Kan.) and Jeff Duncan (R., S.C.) led a delegation of roughly a dozen House Republican freshman to the Senate floor to observe the proceedings during the vote.

    Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D., Nev.) said Thursday it would be a “waste of the Senate’s time” to debate the measure any further, adding that he thought the bill was “perhaps some of the worst legislation in the history of this country.” Reid had initially schedule the vote for Saturday, but decided to move it up at the last minute.

    “Senator Reid’s scramble to vote on this bill a day earlier than previously announced shows that Cut, Cap, and Balance is quickly gaining momentum,” said Rep. Jim Jordan (R., Ohio), chairman of the Republican Study Committee, which was largely responsible for drafting the legislation. “Senate Democrats should stop hiding behind a procedural vote to block a plan with two-to-one support from the American public. So long as it has the support of the American people, Cut, Cap, and Balance remains very much alive.”...

    Because the package under discussion includes tax increases as well as spending cuts, Reid claimed, and due to the Constitutional requirement that all revenue bills originate in the lower chamber, “the path to avert default now runs first to the House of Representatives…We in the Senate must wait for them.”




    now. that's chutzpah. kill what they send you and then insist it's their responsibility to send you a solution.


    CNN Polling shows that nearly two-thirds of the American people support cut cap and balance.
    Excellent, because cut, cap, and balance was not a solution!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Senate Blocks Voet on Cut Cap and Balance

    Or, as the White House calls it,"Duck, Dodge, and Dismantle."

    Read more: Senate Votes To Table "Cut, Cap, And Balance"

  6. #6
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Senate Blocks Voet on Cut Cap and Balance

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    CNN Polling shows that nearly two-thirds of the American people support cut cap and balance.
    That's very consistent with the other two polls I saw.

    On its own the balanced budget amendment polls as high as 85%.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Senate Blocks Voet on Cut Cap and Balance

    More on potential outcomes of the democrats' flippant attitude toward the balanced budget amendment:

    While Democrats, left-leaning pundits and mainstream-media types engage in name-calling and demagoguery, brushing off the recent “cut, cap and balance” measure that passed in the House by a 234-190 vote as purely “symbolic,” because it didn’t have a chance in Hades in the Senate, they are being dangerously shortsighted. As voters fully realize Democrats won’t balance a budget unless forced and will refuse to support a balanced-budget amendment (as was the case in the House this week, despite passage of “cut, cap and balance”), Americans will be more inclined to pull the lever for Republicans in 2012.

    The left might chide Republican efforts for a balanced-budget amendment now as “symbolic,” the product of a “cult fringe.” But polling numbers show they do so at their own peril, as support for a BBA becomes more and more mainstream.
    Dems changed their tune - TheHill.com

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,006

    Re: Senate Blocks Voet on Cut Cap and Balance

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    That, of course, is complete BS, I am willing to bet that 85-90% of Americans never heard of it. Polls only measure the opinions of people who are interested in the subject.
    I agree. Now that slash crash and trash has been duly defeated, perhaps we can move on to something that can become law?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #9
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Senate Blocks Voet on Cut Cap and Balance

    Good the teaparty needs to know they dont run the country

  10. #10
    Guru
    PerfectStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,182

    Re: Senate Blocks Voet on Cut Cap and Balance

    This wasn't about passing legislation, it was about getting a recorded vote.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •