Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Is Obama winning over Americans in debt-ceiling standoff?

  1. #31
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Is Obama winning over Americans in debt-ceiling standoff?

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    My sense how it goes is with some small cuts and a new debt ceiling. Again you need to think about the intransigence on both sides. Senate dems pushed Obama to seek more revenue, which threw the deal into the gutter. The sad part is that the politicians look at this issue like you do, who can win make the other guy look bad and win an election.

    Remember S&P said they would downgrade our debt if there was no plan to cut about $4 trillion in the deficit over 10 years. People are not even focused on that problem. If it happens, I don't think the American public will be happy with the President or congress who let that happen.
    Everything you said is true...obama made alot of cut concessions...the gop made none it was boehner that walked away from the deal...correct me if im wrong

  2. #32
    Advisor Swizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-05-12 @ 11:33 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    351

    Re: Is Obama winning over Americans in debt-ceiling standoff?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Everything you said is true...obama made alot of cut concessions...the gop made none it was boehner that walked away from the deal...correct me if im wrong
    That's another reason Obama is winning the PR war...the GOP is acting as if they have a conservative president and a supermajority in the Senate. The reality is we have a Democrat in the White House and the Democrats control the Senate. They have bent over backwards to offer concessions to Republicans, but there has to be a limit to that. The Republicans only have control of the House. So this idea that "now is not the time for compromise"...is patently false. The only way for a deal to get through is to compromise...period. The tea party caucus needs to grow the **** up, and perhaps learn an important life lesson I learned years ago:


  3. #33
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Is Obama winning over Americans in debt-ceiling standoff?

    Quote Originally Posted by Swizz View Post
    That's another reason Obama is winning the PR war...the GOP is acting as if they have a conservative president and a supermajority in the Senate. The reality is we have a Democrat in the White House and the Democrats control the Senate. They have bent over backwards to offer concessions to Republicans, but there has to be a limit to that. The Republicans only have control of the House. So this idea that "now is not the time for compromise"...is patently false. The only way for a deal to get through is to compromise...period. The tea party caucus needs to grow the **** up, and perhaps learn an important life lesson I learned years ago:





    Know what your post says it all as far as im concerned....WELL SAID

  4. #34
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Is Obama winning over Americans in debt-ceiling standoff?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    This isnt about that...this is about a far right part of the republican party wanting to dictate what they want and ram it down everyones throat....
    I doubt you will find anyone that doesnt believe we need to cut spending and would agree to spending and entitlement cuts..thats not what this is about its about the teaparty not only wanting to cut the middleclass to the bone...they want to give it to to corps and the richest americans....and thats turning alot of long time republicans OFF big time
    I understand this and I agree, just pointing out the average mind set of our average American. Then again we are in debt because of what you just posted and this is a shame and the main reason why I left the republican party and became my own party. I don't see either party representing the constituents in manner in which they campaigned, what I do see is those with big bank accounts and power are those being represented and not to mention making policy.

    Ps..tell me this ten years ago and I would have said your off your rocker, like you said, it slooooowly sank in.

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,136

    Re: Is Obama winning over Americans in debt-ceiling standoff?

    i admit that i hate that we're in this spot to begin with. the national debt has made me nervous since i started reading about it as a teenager, and that has been some years ago. it would have been much better had we addressed it before now. Bill Clinton, a president who i did not support at the time, did have a success in working with congress to stop deficits. there should have been more of an effort to continue that legacy.

    when watching this current debate, i find myself siding with President Obama more than the Republicans because he seems to be pandering less to his base than the establishment Republicans are pandering to the tea party. the right is unwilling to budge on tax increases, and revenue will have to be increased in any successful austerity plan. what they are unwilling to admit, however, is that a downgrade in the nation's credit rating is a massive tax increase as well. what they seem to be doing is playing this to the wall as an issue to use in their campaigns so that they can fight off tea party challengers. however, this is too big of an issue to be playing games with.

  6. #36
    Professor
    ElCid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-11 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,784
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Is Obama winning over Americans in debt-ceiling standoff?

    Obama is LOSING. This struggle demonstrates to the world the degree to which Obama has divided America, and cannot lead it. OBAMA IS DESTROYING THE NATION.
    Last edited by ElCid; 07-28-11 at 05:22 PM.
    NOTICE: I am not a troll, because what I write I believe, and I have no intention of derailing threads or manipulating human nature. I am not a terrorist, because I do not endorse the killing of innocent people, and I am not here to promote violence. I AM HERE ONLY TO EXPRESS MY PERSONAL OPINION AND ENJOY LIVELY DISCUSSION.

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,490

    Re: Is Obama winning over Americans in debt-ceiling standoff?

    Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    Obama is LOSING. This struggle is demonstrating to the world the degree to which Obama has divided America, and cannot lead the nation. OBAMA IS DESTROYING THE NATION.
    put down the kool aid....several polls say otherwise....

  8. #38
    Professor
    ElCid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-11 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,784
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Is Obama winning over Americans in debt-ceiling standoff?

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    put down the kool aid....several polls say otherwise....
    Polls mean nothing. Fox boasts of polls that say Obama is nose-diving into the abyss. Which are right -- your polls or my polls? I say my polls. You say your polls.
    NOTICE: I am not a troll, because what I write I believe, and I have no intention of derailing threads or manipulating human nature. I am not a terrorist, because I do not endorse the killing of innocent people, and I am not here to promote violence. I AM HERE ONLY TO EXPRESS MY PERSONAL OPINION AND ENJOY LIVELY DISCUSSION.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •