Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 232

Thread: Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis

  1. #201
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    I'm not continuing on at all ... I was all in favor of letting the tax cuts expire .. . but just so I have this clear in my mind .. according to you, because more democrats voted against a bill that extended the tax cuts, a bill that they themselves wrote .... a bill that if it hadn't been written at all .. and voted on .... would have allowed those tax cuts to expired and caused this tax increase to the rich ...... it's the republicans fault that those tax cuts are still in place ??? Is that your position ?
    The majority of Democrats in every vote in congress since their inception have voted against the Bush tax cuts for the rich, while the majority of Republicans voted for the Bush tax cuts. That same history is continuing in the current deficit debate. The majority of Democrats remain opposed to continuing the tax cuts for the rich while the majority of Republicans support the tax cuts for the rich.

    Its been theme leading up to the election and I for one am glad to see the GOP being so open about their overriding priority for lower taxes for the rich.

    They are ready to put the full faith and credit of the nation at risk just to protect those tax cuts for the rich. It speaks volumes and America is listening!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #202
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Oh .. and you …. continue on brave soldier in defense of the wild sprending spree on the backs of our seniors..... their children and grand children and even their great grand children.
    I was opposed to both of our decade long wars and the doubling of military budget, and the unfunded tax breaks for the rich. That is the largest share of debt we have from the last decade so don't lecture me on supporting wasteful spending.

    Btw, just for the record the majority of Democrats opposed the war in Iraq. If it had not been for majority support by the Republicans we would never gone to war with Iraq with all the unnecessary loss of life and increased debt for the last 8 years.

    Now, the GOP is saying the seniors must suffer because of their poor spending priorities of the past. It ain't gonna fly!


    BTW, how's the Cain campaign doing? Still thinking he's going to be your parties nominee?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #203
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis

    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Fine ... then put the only bill that has been passed by either house ... on the floor ... and fix it .. then send it back to the house .. if it's turned down .. then you have a talking point, right now .. there isn't another plan out that .. that either side can get enough votes to even think about passing. Parden me for thinking .. that when you have but one plan out there, that it shouldn't be tossed to the side without discussion . ..... I don't see how the democrats refusal to even open the floor for discussion about this bill ... is any different then republicans refusal to even discuss any bill presented by democrats

    Don't get me wrong, I'm not just blaming democrats, I'm blaming the last 20 years of politics that have gotten us to this point ... where quite frankly ... we just don't have the money to spend anymore
    IMO opening the floor to debate about cut, cap and balance would be an enormous detraction from the process. Every senator would want to give 10 speeches on it, it would drag on for days, all kinds of people would be taking extreme positions and fighting and whatnot, all the time with every one of them knowing that it is all just for political show... We have five days left, I don't think we should be spending a week debating a proposal everybody knows is bogus. Fixing it would mean dismantling the core provisions- you can't tie spending to GDP, you can't cap it at a fixed percentage, and really, you can't balance the budget when you're in a recession.

    Keep in mind, this whole crisis was explicitly created by the Republicans. Raising the debt limit has been a standard operating procedure for the entire history of our country. Remember- this is money Congress already decided to spend. Committing to spend money then refusing to make good on your own commitment is a very strange tactic and was entirely a Republican idea. The debt is problematic. It is about 70% as high as it's WW2 peak as a percentage of GDP. That's not good, but that isn't like OMG we're all going to die tomorrow if we don't balance the budget today panic time. It has been higher than this in the past and we've paid it down just fine. All it took last time was increasing tax revenues. This time IMO we should do it with a mix of revenues and spending cuts. But spending cuts should be passed by Congress like they are supposed to be, not forced through by threatening to destroy the economy by a party that apparently doesn't have enough votes for what they want to do.
    Last edited by teamosil; 07-28-11 at 12:13 AM.

  4. #204
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post

    IMO opening the floor to debate about cut, cap and balance would be an enormous detraction from the process. Every senator would want to give 10 speeches on it, it would drag on for days, all kinds of people would be taking extreme positions and fighting and whatnot, all the time with every one of them knowing that it is all just for political show... We have five days left, I don't think we should be spending a week debating a proposal everybody knows is bogus. Fixing it would mean dismantling the core provisions- you can't tie spending to GDP, you can't cap it at a fixed percentage, and really, you can't balance the budget when you're in a recession.

    Keep in mind, this whole crisis was explicitly created by the Republicans. Raising the debt limit has been a standard operating procedure for the entire history of our country. Remember- this is money Congress already decided to spend. Committing to spend money then refusing to make good on your own commitment is a very strange tactic and was entirely a Republican idea. The debt is problematic. It is about 70% as high as it's WW2 peak as a percentage of GDP. That's not good, but that isn't like OMG we're all going to die tomorrow if we don't balance the budget today panic time. It has been higher than this in the past and we've paid it down just fine. All it took last time was increasing tax revenues. This time IMO we should do it with a mix of revenues and spending cuts. But spending cuts should be passed by Congress like they are supposed to be, not forced through by threatening to destroy the economy by a party that apparently doesn't have enough votes for what they want to do.
    Republicans are desperate to make Obama a one-term president and they are gambling with our country by sending the economy into tumoil next week on the hope that they can spin it to make it Obama's fault, thus ensuring a Republican victory next year. I believe they don't fully realize the backlash they will suffer as a result of this Hail Mary they are attempting as Americans are not as stupid as they seem to think.

  5. #205
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,227

    Re: Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Republicans are desperate to make Obama a one-term president and they are gambling with our country by sending the economy into tumoil next week on the hope that they can spin it to make it Obama's fault, thus ensuring a Republican victory next year. I believe they don't fully realize the backlash they will suffer as a result of this Hail Mary they are attempting as Americans are not as stupid as they seem to think.
    Lets see. House of Reps controlled by Rep. Senate Controlled by Dems. Office of President by a Dem. So how can you say its the Republicans only are causing this crisis. Dems controlled two of the three. All parties including the President are to blame for this mess. So in you view are the Dems blameless and are totally reasonable? I don't think so. This is all politics to its lowest level.

    Simple example of the process: Bills go from the house to the Senate. Senate either modifies and send it back to the House or accepts it. Then it goes to the President for signature. Seems the Senate and the Pres has verbally rejected anything from the House so far.

    Here is how to end the crisis, do a Pelosi, (paraphrased) , We have to pass the bill before we can know whats in it. It worked for Health Care why not the Debt ceiling.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  6. #206
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,289

    Re: Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Look at the spending for the Defense Dept. in 2001, then look what it is today. Yet, those make believers want everyone to believe the problem is what they call entitlements.
    There's what you wrote... and then there are facts.

    If you look at military spending from an historical perspective -- even with two (three?) wars -- it's relatively low right now, as it was throughout the Bush years:



    The same cannot be said for entitlements:






  7. #207
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post

    Simple example of the process: Bills go from the house to the Senate. Senate either modifies and send it back to the House or accepts it. Then it goes to the President for signature. Seems the Senate and the Pres has verbally rejected anything from the House so far.
    Which is why I put more blame on Republicans over this than Democrats. Republicans are a) not compromising; and b) not passing a bill which can reasonably accepted in the Senate. Please. They're insisting on a Constitutional amendment over this. The debt ceiling has been raised 67 times in the past without the need for a Constitutional amendment, which they couldn't get ratified in time even if that were acceptable. They are intentionally passing poison bills, knowing they're unreasonable and knowing they won't pass -- for the sole purpose of saying, "look, we gave them a choice to raise the debt limit, Obama wouldn't accept it." I didn't buy their ploy and I suspect a majority of Americans won't either.

    The appropriate way to handle this, I believe, is to pass an increase to the debt limit with nothing else in it. No spending cuts, no tax hikes. Just raise the ceiling so that our economy doesn't crash and our credit rating get downgraded. There will be serious and possibly dire consequences if those occur and that needs to be averted. Raise the ceiling and then bang heads with each other over taxes and spending; but don't gamble with this country's future by blackmailing us with the threat of a potential economic collapse.

  8. #208
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,227

    Re: Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Which is why I put more blame on Republicans over this than Democrats. Republicans are a) not compromising; and b) not passing a bill which can reasonably accepted in the Senate. Please. They're insisting on a Constitutional amendment over this. The debt ceiling has been raised 67 times in the past without the need for a Constitutional amendment, which they couldn't get ratified in time even if that were acceptable. They are intentionally passing poison bills, knowing they're unreasonable and knowing they won't pass -- for the sole purpose of saying, "look, we gave them a choice to raise the debt limit, Obama wouldn't accept it." I didn't buy their ploy and I suspect a majority of Americans won't either.

    The appropriate way to handle this, I believe, is to pass an increase to the debt limit with nothing else in it. No spending cuts, no tax hikes. Just raise the ceiling so that our economy doesn't crash and our credit rating get downgraded. There will be serious and possibly dire consequences if those occur and that needs to be averted. Raise the ceiling and then bang heads with each other over taxes and spending; but don't gamble with this country's future by blackmailing us with the threat of a potential economic collapse.
    I can agree for now that they should just raise the debt limit. Deal with the spending and tax rates later.
    I don't agree that the Repubs are more to blame. I don't see a whole lot of compromise by the Senate. Thought Obama said he won't sign a debt increase bill without new revenu.
    Last edited by mike2810; 07-28-11 at 02:43 PM.
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  9. #209
    Professor
    ElCid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-11 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,784
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Polls mean nothing. They're a dime a dozen, manipulated by political hacks, and they always produce pre-conceived results. Personally, I'm proud of the GOP for not cooperating with Obama. DOWN WITH OBAMA, NOW AND FOREVER.
    NOTICE: I am not a troll, because what I write I believe, and I have no intention of derailing threads or manipulating human nature. I am not a terrorist, because I do not endorse the killing of innocent people, and I am not here to promote violence. I AM HERE ONLY TO EXPRESS MY PERSONAL OPINION AND ENJOY LIVELY DISCUSSION.

  10. #210
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    01-05-18 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,296

    Re: Poll: 71% shun GOP handling of debt crisis

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Those in a make believe think that Bush's tax cuts and the war in Iraq haven't caused the debt problems we have today. Look at the spending for the Defense Dept. in 2001, then look what it is today. Yet, those make believers want everyone to believe the problem is what they call entitlements.
    the problem is entitlements. Defense spending will lower naturally as we pull back from Iraq and Afghanistan. Meanwhile, Social Security and Medicare are set to explode in costs. Medicare on its' current path will be bankrupt within the decade, and it will drag Social Security with it.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •