Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Governors Want Congress Debt Deal With Obama

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Governors Want Congress Debt Deal With Obama

    Governors Want Congress Debt Deal With Obama - Bloomberg

    U.S. governors from both major parties circulated a letter at their national meeting urging Congress to raise the federal debt ceiling rather than put the nation’s credit -- and their own states -- at risk.

    The bipartisan letter was being drafted by the National Governors Association’s staff after Moody’s Investors Service warned that state bond ratings would be damaged by a U.S. default, Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley said yesterday.
    Frankly, (and I know I shouldn't be) but I'm surprised that the Republicans are willing to risk everything and blow past the August 2nd deadline.

  2. #2
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Governors Want Congress Debt Deal With Obama

    what? Republicans are putting up measures solo.


    again, when the President refuses to lead, ONLY Republicans are willing to put on the table what they think we should actually do in order to survive fiscally.



    The President isn't willing to say how he would reform the entitlements, the Republicans are.

    The President isn't willing to lay out a budget, the Republicans are.

    The President isn't willing to say specifically what he would cut, the Republicans are.


    The House Ways and Means Committee Chairman has demonstrated more personal courage and leadership on fiscal issues in the last 9 months than the President of the United States. A House Committee Chairman....



    REPUBLICANS are willing to risk everything and blow past Aug 2?


    forgive me, which party is currently being led by Mr Don't Call My Blufff? which party is trying to make political money right now off of scaring seniors and would love to send out those scary letters?
    Last edited by cpwill; 07-17-11 at 10:05 AM.

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: Governors Want Congress Debt Deal With Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Governors Want Congress Debt Deal With Obama - Bloomberg



    Frankly, (and I know I shouldn't be) but I'm surprised that the Republicans are willing to risk everything and blow past the August 2nd deadline.
    the president isn't???

  4. #4
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: Governors Want Congress Debt Deal With Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    The President isn't willing to say how he would reform the entitlements, the Republicans are.

    The President isn't willing to lay out a budget, the Republicans are.

    The President isn't willing to say specifically what he would cut, the Republicans are.
    Considering that negotiations are ongoing, perhaps he has laid this out in negotiations but doesn't want to blow his load at this point.

    Believe me, I feel for the Republicans here. Boehner wants to reach a deal, and is willing to negotiate and get a deal done for the good of the country. He's being held hostage by Cantor and the Tea Baggers. If he doesn't give he gets it from the moderates, and if he does he gets it from the extremists.

    It's going to be hard to get anything done if the Republicans can't get out of their own way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: Governors Want Congress Debt Deal With Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Considering that negotiations are ongoing, perhaps he has laid this out in negotiations but doesn't want to blow his load at this point.

    Believe me, I feel for the Republicans here. Boehner wants to reach a deal, and is willing to negotiate and get a deal done for the good of the country. He's being held hostage by Cantor and the Tea Baggers. If he doesn't give he gets it from the moderates, and if he does he gets it from the extremists.

    It's going to be hard to get anything done if the Republicans can't get out of their own way.
    I was actually laughing as I read your post. You think that this political dance going on is only because one side is not willing to negotiate. All we have learned once again from this round of talks on something most important to the nation is that Obama is a superior politician but a lousy leader or negotiator.

    Not sure if you were ever in a big time negotiation of any kind. But the only negotiation that really works is if you do not attempt to get something that the other side can't give. The President has proven he would rather win a debate than do what is right for the country. This should be a scary time for all.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Governors Want Congress Debt Deal With Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    the president isn't???
    He has made concessions, they have not. So no. The president isn't.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Governors Want Congress Debt Deal With Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    The President has proven he would rather win a debate than do what is right for the country. This should be a scary time for all.
    The Republicans have proven they would rather throw us under a bus than do what is right for this country, aka "bring something to the table". Deep cuts are not enough. Period, full stop.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Governors Want Congress Debt Deal With Obama

    If we want to lower the debt, everyone is going to have to lose something they want, whether its healthcare, defense, endowments for the arts, lower taxes, whatever. Its not until lowering the debt becomes more important that what you want to save will anything get done.

    How about this, instead of arguing who's going to lose, lets all collectively lose together after all its our country, our problem, our responsibility to take solve it, it doesn't matter who's to blame because the fact is it falls on us regardless and, God save us all, our representatives in government. If this country was the Titanic, although its not that bad, we'd all be arguing over if its Captain's fault or the midnight watches fault no one saw that iceberg. Well you know what? It doesn't matter who's fault it is or was, its now all our problem and we can argue about who done it till we're floating in the North Atlantic and drown, or we can buckle down and get to work.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Governors Want Congress Debt Deal With Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    If we want to lower the debt, everyone is going to have to lose something they want, whether its healthcare, defense, endowments for the arts, lower taxes, whatever. Its not until lowering the debt becomes more important that what you want to save will anything get done.

    How about this, instead of arguing who's going to lose, lets all collectively lose together after all its our country, our problem, our responsibility to take solve it, it doesn't matter who's to blame because the fact is it falls on us regardless and, God save us all, our representatives in government. If this country was the Titanic, although its not that bad, we'd all be arguing over if its Captain's fault or the midnight watches fault no one saw that iceberg. Well you know what? It doesn't matter who's fault it is or was, its now all our problem and we can argue about who done it till we're floating in the North Atlantic and drown, or we can buckle down and get to work.
    "I'll never let go, Jack!!"

  10. #10
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: Governors Want Congress Debt Deal With Obama

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    I was actually laughing as I read your post. You think that this political dance going on is only because one side is not willing to negotiate. All we have learned once again from this round of talks on something most important to the nation is that Obama is a superior politician but a lousy leader or negotiator.

    Not sure if you were ever in a big time negotiation of any kind. But the only negotiation that really works is if you do not attempt to get something that the other side can't give. The President has proven he would rather win a debate than do what is right for the country. This should be a scary time for all.
    The political dance is going on because that what happens. Neither side wants to give up anything. Obama doesn't want to cut enough, Republicans won't raise taxes on anyone (except for those here who want to tax the poor to save the rich). Neither side is exactly negotiating in good faith.

    What I was objecting to was the idea that Republicans are putting forth all these ideas, and Obama isn't. I just don't think that's true. Will seems to think that because Republican ideas are the only ones in the press, they're the only ones in existence. Really? No ideas from the White House? C'mon...these would be real short negotiations if that were the case.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •