Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Bachmann to stand up against Sharia Islam

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Bachmann to stand up against Sharia Islam

    irrational fear of Muslims is alive and well in this thread.

  2. #22
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,450
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bachmann to stand up against Sharia Islam

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    I shall stand up to Dragons!
    I have been scaring Dragons away from our fair country for decades now.
    On my watch not one single dragon related kidnapping of a maiden has occurred!
    Vote for me. I will keep the Dragons away!
    What party?
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  3. #23
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Bachmann to stand up against Sharia Islam

    Ya'll relax. I was only pointing out that her comments are not coming out-of-the-blue.

    That's all.
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  4. #24
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,322
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bachmann to stand up against Sharia Islam

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    Ya'll relax. I was only pointing out that her comments are not coming out-of-the-blue.

    That's all.
    You are right. They are not out of the blue, they are out of mindless fear and inaccuracies and lies. Fearmongering is not out of the blue however.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #25
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,941
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Bachmann to stand up against Sharia Islam

    Evidence that others are concerned about dragons and maidens.

    dragons kidnapping maidens - Google Search

    ths srs bsns yal
    I may be wrong.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Bachmann to stand up against Sharia Islam

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You are right. They are not out of the blue, they are out of mindless fear and inaccuracies and lies. Fearmongering is not out of the blue however.
    no, its out of the mouths of bigoted babes and boys.

  7. #27
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Bachmann to stand up against Sharia Islam

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    I'm not trying to defend anyone here and I haven't read the article but there has been some concern about Sharia law being imposed to some degree here in the States. Bachmann did not just pull this out-of-the-blue as it has been discussed in various circles for--I think--more than a year now (or it seems like I started hearing about it a year or so ago).

    Some links I pulled up real quick for your consderation.



    SHARIA LAW CREEPS INTO FLORIDA TRIAL! Are We Losing the Battle to Keep Our Country Ours?

    SHARIA BAN GOES TO COURT…JUDGE WILL CONSIDER ARGUMENTS: ANDREW ENTZMINGER | RUTHFULLY YOURS

    US judges free to rule based on Sharia law « News that matters

    New Jersey Judge Rules Islamic Sharia Law Trumps U.S. Law « Creeping Sharia
    None of these articles really discuss why the judge is looking to outside sources, or whether there are any conflicts with standing US statute or precedent. In fact, all we really know is that some judges, somewhere, are thinking about informing some decisions based on some information contained in some outside sources. That's not really that unusual. Did you know that we cite British law all the time, and that a whole slew of American law was almost directly lifted from England up until the mid 19th century? We use outside sources in determining legal decisions all the time.

    What these articles do not address is whether or not such decisions are appropriate. Judges don't usually mess around, so I would presume that these cases actually call for it. There's no need to freak out over nothing. Besides, any judicial decision that actually violates US law would be quickly overturned on appeal.

    This Sharia law scare is only frightening to those who do not know how the US judicial system actually works.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Bachmann to stand up against Sharia Islam

    the fear of Sharia Law taking over the USA, is as rational as the fear of Kosher food laws stealing from the American people to enrich the Jews.

  9. #29
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Bachmann to stand up against Sharia Islam

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/...ial-Pledge.pdf

    go to page 8.

    I'm sorry, is Sharia Islam a real threat in this country?

    Are the evil tenticles of Waahabism and Islamic extremism threatening our good ol' Euro-Christian values?

    Wow, this hot thang really is appealing to the lowest of the low in our society.

  10. #30
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Bachmann to stand up against Sharia Islam

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    None of these articles really discuss why the judge is looking to outside sources, or whether there are any conflicts with standing US statute or precedent. In fact, all we really know is that some judges, somewhere, are thinking about informing some decisions based on some information contained in some outside sources. That's not really that unusual. Did you know that we cite British law all the time, and that a whole slew of American law was almost directly lifted from England up until the mid 19th century? We use outside sources in determining legal decisions all the time.

    What these articles do not address is whether or not such decisions are appropriate. Judges don't usually mess around, so I would presume that these cases actually call for it. There's no need to freak out over nothing. Besides, any judicial decision that actually violates US law would be quickly overturned on appeal.

    This Sharia law scare is only frightening to those who do not know how the US judicial system actually works.
    Yup. I'm a criminal lawyer, and I can tell you, in general, that when Sharia law (or Judaism, or Central Asian Animist theology for that matter) come into the courtroom, it's typically to inform the judge or the jury about the mental state of an alleged criminal. In our legal system almost all crimes require a nexus between thought (called "mens rea") and action ("actus reus") in order for a person to be found guilty. I haven't looked at all the articles brought up for Muslim=scary purposes, but the last link refers specifically to sharia being used to interpret whether or not the wife-beating husband had the necessary criminal mental state (under standard US common law) to be found guilty of the charges against him. This emphatically does NOT mean that Sharia law is taking over, it means that this individual's mental state is informed by his religious beliefs. Anyone who says otherwise either doesn't understand the law, or is too cynical to care that they're irresponsibly spouting nonsense.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •