Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 82

Thread: Republicans are acting like vandals

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: Republicans are acting like vandals

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    People that will not entertain revenue enhancements (direct or indirect tax increases) are not serious about deficit reduction. This whole thing is a shallow tea-party ruse to cut social programs, nothing more. (Why let a good crisis go to waste). Get serious about using all the tools to fix the budget and the economy, then you can be taken seriously in general.
    People that are actually entertaining raising taxes in this economy are seriously trying to make this Depression Great...............and our debt and deficit an even bigger problem.
    .
    .
    .
    .

  2. #42
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,161

    Re: Republicans are acting like vandals

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I guess that's why they denied Juan Williams his 1st Amendment rights?
    Nowhere in the First Amendment does it say that you have the right to work for NPR. It prevents CONGRESS from passing a law abridging free speech. So unless Congress passed a law saying that Juan Williams couldn't say what he wants on Fox, no First Amendment rights were denied.

    As much as you guys talk about The Constitution, you'd think most of you read it. Yet you miss the most basic points.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #43
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Republicans are acting like vandals

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Nowhere in the First Amendment does it say that you have the right to work for NPR. It prevents CONGRESS from passing a law abridging free speech. So unless Congress passed a law saying that Juan Williams couldn't say what he wants on Fox, no First Amendment rights were denied.

    As much as you guys talk about The Constitution, you'd think most of you read it. Yet you miss the most basic points.
    As long as NPR receives public funds, it cannot violate a person's 1st Amendment rights.

    it appears that you, sir, should read the Constitution.

  4. #44
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,105

    Re: Republicans are acting like vandals

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    People that are actually entertaining raising taxes in this economy are seriously trying to make this Depression Great...............and our debt and deficit an even bigger problem.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Cutting expenditures is by far, far more devastating to a recovery than a tax increase, particularly if the tax increase is focused on the few that are actually doing well in the soft economy.

  5. #45
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,105

    Re: Republicans are acting like vandals

    Quote Originally Posted by Badmutha View Post
    People that are actually entertaining raising taxes in this economy are seriously trying to make this Depression Great...............and our debt and deficit an even bigger problem.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    No, the silly discussion is about cutting expenditures in a soft economy. Cutting expenditures is by far, far more devastating to a recovery than a tax increase, particularly if the tax increase is focused on the few that are actually doing well in the soft economy. Expenditures go directly into the economy, and have a multiplying effect; tax cuts only affect the economy as a hypothetical and generally have an impact coefficient of much less than 1.0

  6. #46
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Republicans are acting like vandals

    Quote Originally Posted by randel View Post
    and they would be right....tax increases have to be on the table, as well as spending cuts....
    You can't trust a Democrat to ever ever ever ever vote for a spending cut. And most of the time they aren't real cuts, but only cuts in a planned increase. So I don't blame the Republicans for being hesitant. Promised cuts are notorious for not happening. It happened under Reagan and Bush 41.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #47
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,799

    Re: Republicans are acting like vandals

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    As long as NPR receives public funds, it cannot violate a person's 1st Amendment rights.

    it appears that you, sir, should read the Constitution.
    The constitution does not say that, no.

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    You can't trust a Democrat to ever ever ever ever vote for a spending cut. And most of the time they aren't real cuts, but only cuts in a planned increase. So I don't blame the Republicans for being hesitant. Promised cuts are notorious for not happening. It happened under Reagan and Bush 41.
    It's really funny that people still think the Republicans are any different.
    Last edited by Deuce; 07-06-11 at 02:11 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: Republicans are acting like vandals

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    No, the silly discussion is about cutting expenditures in a soft economy. Cutting expenditures is by far, far more devastating to a recovery than a tax increase,
    One would think that after Obama spending more money than Gawd and all previous administrations combined........which only made the economy worse........not a sane soul would still believe in the fairytale that government spending somehow benefits an economy. You are proof there are exceptions.........

    particularly if the tax increase is focused on the few that are actually doing well in the soft economy.
    Bring down the handful that are doing well........brilliant...........

    Expenditures go directly into the economy, and have a multiplying effect;
    Only after they are first REMOVED from the economy...........Government doesnt have money........they only have what they steal.

    tax cuts only affect the economy as a hypothetical and generally have an impact coefficient of much less than 1.0
    Which would be akin to saying tax increases only affect the economy as a hypothetical.........we could raise tax rates on everybody to 90% and it wouldnt hurt the economy one bit.......in your imagination.
    .
    .
    .
    .

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Republicans are acting like vandals

    I sincerely wish I could be bipartisan on this and write a column saying that blame lies on both sides. But I can't. The debt itself is bipartisan, built up over many years, but only the Democrats are taking responsibility for paying it back. Today's Republican Party in the US is so extreme, so doctrinaire and so reckless it stands alone on this question.
    This is either abject ignorance or an outright lie.
    You decide.

  10. #50
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,744

    Re: Republicans are acting like vandals

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    People that will not entertain revenue enhancements (direct or indirect tax increases) are not serious about deficit reduction. This whole thing is a shallow tea-party ruse to cut social programs, nothing more. (Why let a good crisis go to waste). Get serious about using all the tools to fix the budget and the economy, then you can be taken seriously in general.
    Ill tell you what, why dont you find out what real relation there is between revenue and GDP. As GDP growth declines, so does revenue---no matter how hard you tax people, because its a disincentive to effort. When the economy is down, raising taxes has a real possibility of making the recovery worse or even pushing the economy into a depression.

    The 2009 budget is somewhere in the 20s in percentages of GDP and revenues are rarely over 17% of GDP. That should tell everyone cuts have got to happen.

    For Randel and Upsideguy, be specific exactly which "loopholes" you want to cut. Im curious as to what you think is bad or greedy tax code. I bet you can find more wasetful spending than you can bad tax code, but if you want to find the most tax loopholes, I suggest you start with GE's tax form, their chummy relationship with Obama seems to coincide with a huge drop in their tax expense. (Btw thats a hint that a lot of tax cuts are in the green industry sector)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •